• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

A nice letter to Babcock

phoostal

I know I don't post often and I won't get into the reasons of why I don't. You may remember me or not. But here is an email I just sent to Babcock. I felt as Hawk fans we deserve some answers. I will post his response when I hear back from him.

Mr. Babcock,

As a life long Hawks fan, I would hope we aren't about to make some hasty decisions. I read your article today regarding the fact that you are to blame for the downward spiral the Hawks have been on since you have arrived. I think that is a stand up statement that you have made, but it still doesn't make up for the fact this team has not produced since you have been the general manager. But, I'm not here to critique what you have done or what you should have done in the past. I would rather think of the present and future.

I know that you explore ways everyday to make the team better. I have heard that from you several times and I also know that you take the losing harder than anyone. With that out of the way. The fan base is frustrated right now and they want the team to get better. I know you know this, but I want you to get a feel for all aspects as I'm writing this to you.

Reading your article today, basically saying that no one is off limits as far as trades go is a scary situation. I know that you can't believe what you read or hear, until it happens. But, please tell me we aren't in a cost cutting mode or a rebuilding mode once again. I think these are questions we as fans deserve to know? Rumors such as Shareff to San Antonio for Smith and Ferry, Or to Toronto for Hunter and Olajuwon. JT to the Lakers for Medvadenko, and some other role players. What kind of trades are these? We are getting nothing for good young players. Why, to save money? Is this what it is all about, saving money, because the team isn't winning right away.

Listen I'm for making the team better, as well as most fans. But this would be a disaster. I think it is a consensus that this team is a point guard away from coming together with the core of guys we have right now. Including JT as the 2 guard. But, listen I don't even think fans would be upset if you trade anyone of the big three for a good player in return.

If you look over the NBA history teams don't just win over night, it takes sometime playing together. Especially when you make a coaching change in the middle of the year. Look at the Kings and Mavericks as an example.

I'm afraid if you make these crazy trades as a cost cutting measure and to rebuild you will lose whatever fan base we have. The fans are hungry for a winner not another rebuilding project or cost cutting team. Mr. Babcock please let's do the right thing.

Last year around this time I sent you an email about the passion in your job, you may have remembered that email or not. I mention this because this has to with the passion of making this team better, not worse. But, the fact is I hope you don't make these moves to save your job. Let's do what's best for the team, players, fans and city. I think we all agree blowing up the young nucleus isn't going to be the solution.

Thank you for your time and consideration to this email. I look forward to your response.

Here is Pete's Response, I will say this he was quick to respond.

First of all, the trades you eluded to in your e-mail are ones I have NEVER heard of before, much less discussed with other teams....that includes each and everyone you mentioned. We would not blow up the team by any means....simply explore all options to improve upon our weaknesses. Even if I thought my job was going to end, I would not make a trade that I felt would ever hurt the franchise....I have too much respect for the team to do that.

And I would disagree that we have never produced since I have been here. I realize this is a biased opinion, but we rebuilt the team from 1990-93 with adding Blaylock, Augmon, Ehlo, Lang and hiring Lenny Wilkens and finished with the best record in the East in 93-94....then added Smith, Long, Corbin, Mutombo and Laettner and went on a six -year run of averaging 50 plus wins and finishing in the final eight four times in those six years. Then, we decided to start over after the lockout season where we finished only 2 games off the best record in the East, and we have faltered in the three and one half years since.

So, my view is that we have had a degree of success in the 13 years that I have been here, but not the last 3 at all....and I willingly accept full responsibility for all of it.

Thank you for your continued interest in the team and I promise you that I will do my best to improve the team without harming the long term status of the franchise as long as I am here.

Pete Babcock

-----Original Message-----

O.K! Babcock stated that he has never heard of the San Antonio Trade or the Raptors Trade (the most horrifying trades I have ever heard). Well, Time WILL TELL! The TRADING DEADLINE is creeping up, and we will see whether babcock has kept his word on NOT hurting this team in the long run. And he states that he has too much respect for this team. Well, I hope he'll make the right decision(s) before the trading deadline.

This maybe Babcock's last trade! A trade for the right player for this team, or his job! This is time for Babcock to shine or falter! Time Will Tell!!!! Give respect to the fans Babcock! We want a winner...you had your chance to rebuild! I'll be dissappointed if you blow this team up!

I wish babcock could read some of the trade ideas in Hawksquawk.net. This is the one place that is reliable to find Hawk fans who know what they are talking about.

Pete is a great person and all, but I think he should lose his job at the end of the season regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

Something has to be done though. While I think the Hawks may have a run in them, they simply have too much money tied up into players who are merely complimentary players with no means of getting the true superstar they need to get.

So, getting someone like Jamal Crawford to run the point (which I think has a better than average chance of happening) isn't really going to do that much for the team this year, because it doesn't help their post defense. Philadelphia scored 83 points against the Hawks Wednesday night. 50 of them came in the post. That's not good post defense.

Getting Crawford would be a good deal though because it is a deal that has an eye towards the future. If that deal happens, then it's obvious the team would resign Terry and have a back court of Terry and Crawford. Unlike some, I think Terry is the one player that is the safest on this team. There is no way the Hawks can get value for him due to his contract, and I don't really think they want to trade him anyway. I think they want to use him as a building block.

Theo's going to Philly for Derrick Coleman and maybe a 1st round pick. I think that deal is as good as done, and its one I've speculated on in the past. Coleman is simply a guy the Hawks will write off at the end of the season.

I think the Hawks are gauging interest in Shareef at the moment, but they won't deal him for what ESPN Insider listed as a rumor to the Spurs.