• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Woodson "Misery" injury watch

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

Whose ankle does Woody take the hammer and block too next after playing JJ a whopping 46 minutes (also 9 of the last 10 and 16 of the last 18 games over 40 minutes and 41.4 for the season, 2nd in the league) following a calf injury in practice and Childress manage his second STRESS fracture this year after being over-STRESSED playing nearly 42 MPG since JJ's injury March 5th. All of this when we're only "in the playoff race" according to blinded, lunatic fringe fans or all but statistically eliminated with TEN games to play.

Let's see our "injured but play them hard" anyway list, particularly succeptible to Woody's (and BK's) "CYA and save our jobs" path of destruction. To the AJC...

Quote:

Hawks center Zaza Pachulia had to be helped to the locker room with 7:18 to play in Wednesday's loss to the Nets. He turned his left ankle while battling for a rebound under the Hawks' basket. If the injury keeps him out of action Friday night against Milwaukee at Philips Arena, he would be the fourth regular unable to play because of injury.

Quote:

A hard fall in the second half of Sunday's loss to Chicago kept Hawks forward Josh Smith out of practice Monday.

But it shouldn't keep him out of action Wednesday night when the Hawks travel to the Meadowlands to face the New Jersey Nets.

"My back is sore but I'll be fine," Smith said after receiving treatment Monday afternoon. "I just needed to take it easy [today] and then get back out there at practice before we leave for Jersey. But I'll be good to go Wednesday night."

"Josh's back was just a little stiff," Woodson said. "He'll be ready to go."

And just when you thought Woody wasn't aware enough to witness the wear and tear on his players he admits to it, just doesn't do anything about it. I will examine this excerpt as I go.

Quote:

Smith also has played 40 or more minutes in each of the Hawks' past six games, another role he has taken over from Johnson, who averaged 41.4 minutes this season.

43 MPG in those 6 games.

Quote:

Woodson admitted worrying about the high number of minutes Smith, Josh Childress and Marvin Williams have been playing lately.

So much it took JC breaking his foot to not play 40 minutes and despite the hard fall and sore back, Josh Smith still played 39 minutes in a blow out NJ win.

Quote:

But he also acknowledged that the best thing for the Hawks in the long run is for those three to get the opportunity to work through their mistakes during those extended stretches of playing time.

First, if you replace "the Hawks" with "me" or "Woody" the statement is made true.

Second, how exactly are JC or JJ working through their mistakes on crutches, in JC's case when his career could be in jeopardy? Couldn't it be even more valuable to see whether Batista, SJ, Salim could work through their mistakes with even a mere consistent 15 minutes? We already know JS can. We know what we have in JC. MW might could use a little mistake working through, but you can work on those mistakes with a more focused 33 minutes (run the offense through him) than a player killing 45 minutes when hes more likely to make mistakes than work through them.

Quote:

"There's a lot of responsibility that comes along with those minutes," Woodson said.

Holy [censored]! Where is YOUR sense of responsibility?!?

Quote:

"
One of the things I've seen is that those guys are wearing down a bit late in games. The energy level is just gone sometimes late in the game.
But I do think we need to give these guys the minutes, because the more time they spend on the floor the better they'll be and the better they'll be able to help us in the long run."

What a MFer! This is "a little food is good, alot of food is better" logic. That's why we have a diabetic generation with the average 7 year old 10 lbs overweight and Woody is why we have a M.A.S.H. unit of STRESS injuries and injury exacerbations. There is food and then there is good food. There are portions and then there are good portions. Woody is gorging players with poorly focused minutes that fatten them (injuries) without providing nutrients (improvements). Once injured they are necessarily on an "improvement fast" so all these excessive minutes result in less PT "to work through problems" with. This is excuse is about as empty as what we are feeding our kids.

"They sure do look exhausted! Look at them, lazy-footed reach in fouls, falling down, gasping, hobbling, grabbing their back, wincing, hands on their knees, game in and game out...you'd think they'd get stronger if I repeatedly keep tearing them down. What's wrong with them?...JJ's hurt? He said he was OK after the drop kick to the calf so I played him the most minutes of any other Hawk this season up until that point. What's wrong with that? Now JC? It's his fault he didn't explicitly tell me that the 42 MPG and 15 MPG increase was making his foot sore. How am I supposed to know that significantly more STRESS causes recent STRESS injuries to reoccur? I just ask them "Can you go?" What more do you want from me? My job's on the line. So's BK's. Yeah, I know ZaZa's got an ankle sprain and JS has a bad back but we can't be too careful with my job security."

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Walter I understand the metaphor with that video in your sig, but you gotta take that out, that's kinda disturbing.

Without creating any expectations I cannot live up to, I'm going to give the next "tank" pic some thought first.

W