• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks may be interested in Van Gundy, but....

KB21

.....is Jeff Van Gundy interested in the Hawks job?

In Jeff Shultz's article today, Shultz made it sound like Van Gundy was taking shots at Hawks management. First, Van Gundy stated the obvious that the team turns the ball over too much and doesn't play good defense. He then said that it is the Hawks main players that are turning the ball over, so that is a problem. The criticism of the management, according to Shultz, seems to be when Van Gundy states that the Hawks have to find them a core group of players, build around those players, and be patient with that group.

I think Pete will have to give up some personnel power if he is to land Jeff Van Gundy.

I e-mailed Pete suggesting Mike Fratello to him. This is his reply:

Thank you for your suggestion. First, Terry Stotts is doing a good job currently as we have won 5 of our last 7 and played well in six of those games (we were awful versus Miami in our last game). Second, I cannot discuss my recommendations to our owners, but I think Mike is an outstanding coach and should have been coaching the past few years. He did an extraordinary job with the Hawks and I was upset that we never had a real opportunity to work together (we were together for the last month and a half of his time here). When I took this job I was excited about working with a coach of Mike's capability, but after getting here, found that the die had been cast already on his fate unfortunately. He may be the most qualified coach NOT coaching in the NBA today.

Again, thank you for your input and interest in the Hawks.

He makes it sound like it wasn't his decision to let Fratello go. He's also very complimentary of Mike Fratello, while at the same time complimenting Stotts.

In reply to:

He may be the most qualified coach NOT coaching in the NBA today.

That statement has to be including Jeff Van Gundy, as he is a qualified coach that isn't coaching in the NBA today.

Something tells me that the next coach for the Atlanta Hawks will be one of these two coaches. I think the only chance Terry Stotts has is if this team makes the playoffs this year, so I don't think Stotts has much of a chance to shed the interim label.

• Premium Member

Pete is a lame duck GM.

Pete went out on a limb with Kruger.

It was no secret that Kasten wanted his friend and Neighbor Isiah Thomas. Well, Now Kruger has broken the limb and is at home doing what all college coaches who failed in the pros do. And Isiah just finished coaching the allstar game.

Pete will have NO Say in the New coach coming in. FOr that matter, Stotts is a lame duck too... Unless he can make us win about 28 games and propel us to the playoffs.

I'm hoping Kasten is cut... Babcock fired and a whole new team is set up...

Maybe Nique moved up to President... and Fratello made GM/Coach. With a nellie like deal that he will turn over coaching duties to his assistant (Rick Mahorn) in the future.

I doubt it.

Chances are that both Stan and Pete will be around until the ownership issue is resolved. The only thing they will do is attempt to save their jobs with the new owner(s) by hiring the best coach they can possibly hire. Stan is notorious for being slow to fire a coach or a gm.

Ted Turner may be interested in being in an ownership group that buys the Atlanta franchises (Braves, Hawks, Thrashers), but he will only do it if a team of investors come forth. And he only wants a minority share.

There's got to be some rich mogul in Atlanta that is willing to either get up a group of investors to buy the team or buy the team outright.