Best Drafts Rankings...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I just read where Stern is proclaiming that this could be the best draft of all times... I have to disagree strongly with him. So, Here's how I rank em...

1. Lebron's Draft (2003). That's Lebron, Wade, Mello, Bosh, etc..

2. Jordan's Draft (1984). That's Hakeem, Jordan, Perkins, Barkley, Willis, Stockton, and Vern Fleming.

3. Ewing's Draft (1985) Ewing, Malone, Oakley, Shrempf, Dumars, AC Green, Terry Porter, and the XMan Cometh.

4. AI's draft (1996) AI, Kobe, Camby, Allen, Marbury, Shareef, Damp, Big Z, JO...

5. Smitty's draft (1991). That's Smitty, Deke, LJ, KA, Rick Fox, Brandon.

6. Kidd's Draft (1994) JKidd, GHill, BigDog, EJones, AMckie (Those Templetons), and Brooks Thompson!!!

7. Shaq's Draft (1993). That's Shaq, Morning, Jackson, Spreewell...

8. Mchale's Draft (1980). That's Carolle, McHale, Mahorn, Toney, Smith, and Drew.

9. (2007) The Greg Oden Draft. Oden, Durant, ???

10. Isiah's Draft (1981) Aguirre, Thomas, Buck Williams, Tom Chambers, and Larry Nance.

10. CP3's Draft (2005). That's CP3, Deron, Felton, Monte Ellis, Jarrette Jack. I call it a PGs paradise... Plus you had Bogut, Marvin Villanueva, Bynum and Frye... This draft could move up.

I don't even think 2007 will match up with 2005's draft. Not considering all the players choosen. There's a lot of fluff in the midround. I think You have some really good drafts that will produce great players (Like 2005) and you have some role players draft like 2006 and Dirk's year and Elton's year.

• Premium Member

This was a very hard one simply because Jordan, Stockton, and Barkley (Dream Teamers)...

However, Lebron is just 21.

Wade has already won a championship.

Mello is next.

Bosh is a beast.

I didn't mention Hinrich, Ford, or Darko.

I didn't mention West, Diaw, Ridnour, Barbosa, or Josh Howard.

Did you know that Kyle Korver and Mo Williams were late second rounders.

The point is that the 2003 draft was simply Stacked!!!

The 1984 draft had good guys at the top and Jon Stockton... But that was about it. I think when History recalls 2003, it will say, that was probably the strongest draft in History.

• Premium Member

Quote:

no way the 94' draft was better than 92'

I don't know. Again 1994 was thin after the top. 92' may have been better, but it will depend on how History records Grant Hill and Juwaun Howard vs. Alonzo.

Jason Kidd will go down as the best PG to play besides Stockton. That's actually a good question to pose.

Had Hill not gotten his staff infection, would he have continued on to greatness?

or does that even matter?

I guess, 1992 was stronger. However, how can you sleep on Sharone Wright? confused.gifbananallama.gif

Grant Hill was AWESOME in Detroit, I'm talking maybe the most all around player in the league BUT Alonzo has been the man numerous times in the league. Jason Kidd is one of the best PG of all time, I would never argue with it BUT Shaq is one of the best players of all time. I agree the 2004 draft brought lots of quality players that haven't all reached their prime yet.

• Premium Member

I know Shaq is one of the greats.

However, if History declares:

Jason Kidd who did take NJ to the championship game twice with nobody but Kenyon Martin there to help... And Grant Hill who had a super start to his career... great too or maybe in Hill's case really good.. then you have to reconsider. Mainly because after the big three in1992, there was slim pickens. BUT Eddie Jones, Aaron McKie, Big Dog, others... no jobronies.

Maybe so Diesel but I don't consider Big Dog nor Aaron McKie anything to get excited about in a draft in hindsight. McKie was a vet, smart player that excelled in Philly's defensive system but as an individual player I believe that shows how weak the draft was from top to bottom if he was one of the top 5 or so guys from it.

1992:

Shaq

Alonzo

Laettner

Jimmy Jackson

Laphonso Ellis

Gugliotta (He was pretty good at one time too)

Doug Christie

PJ Brown

Latrell Sprewell

Jon Barry

Walt Williams

Anthony Peeler

Matt Geiger

David Wesley (Undrafted)

On top of that > Robert Horry was in this draft as well and has been a FAR superior role player than McKie.

I'm currently looking at the 1994 draft Diesel and I will give you this, there are some players here that you didn't mention that I forgot about. Jalen Rose, Brian Grant, Wesley Person and Voshon Lenard all were productive at one point. I'm trying to create the best team between the two and think which I'd take.

David Wesley / Anthony Peeler / Jon Barry

Latrell Sprewell / Doug Christie

Jim Jackson / Laphonso Ellis

Alonzo Mourning / Tom Gugliotta / Christian Laettner

Shaquille O'neal / PJ Brown / Matt Geiger

I believe that team would beat up on........

Jason Kidd / Charlie Ward

Eddie Jones / Jalen Rose / Voshon Lenard / Aaron McKie

Grant Hill / Glenn Robinson / Lamond Murray

Juwan Howard / Donyell Marshall

Brian Grant / Eric Montross

......although I MUCH prefer the perimeter game of the 94' draft. I thought Eddie Jones was the man in Charlotte, Jalen had some really good years with Indiana but became a stat stuff when he was THE guy. Grant Hill was an All NBA caliber player like Jason Kidd, nough said about them. At one time, though, Sprewell was an All Star big time player, Jimmy Jackson was a scorer / stat stuffer similar to Big Dog. The frontcourt depth is just too much to overcome for 94'. Jason Kidd / Eddie Jones / Grant Hill is NASTY when they were all in their prime but, like I said, depth is the main difference between the two.

Quote:

"Jason Kidd will go down as the best PG to play besides Stockton."

Come on now. I guess Magic Johnson will have to settle for thrid place with all of his rings and assist titles?

Perhaps so if it were not because of Magic.Isaiah, Nate Archibald, Oscar Robertson, Cousy, Walt Frazier and so on.

2001 wasn't bad:

Kwame, Tyson Chandler,Pau Gasol, Curry,Richardson, Battier,Diop. JJ,Richard Jefferson, Troy Murphy,Steven Hunter, Zach Randolph, Brendon Haywood, Gerald Wallace, Jamaal Tinsley, Tony Parker, Gilbert Aranas, Scalabrine, Mehmet Okur, Earl Watson and Bobby Simmons.

• Premium Member

Where do you rank Kidd?

I admit, Magic Slipped my mind. However, Kidd vs. Magic.. I think it's an interesting comparison. About the rings.. Hell, Antoine Walker has a ring. Big Dog has a ring. You put any good player on the right team, they can get a ring.