• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would Mike Conely Jr.be ready to start right away?

WraithSentinel

I would have no trouble with us picking him. Is he ready to start now? If not then there is no reason to take him at 3. It would be better to take Wright or Yi at 3. Then try to move up for Conely or simply take Crit or Law at 11. Hawks can't pin themselves into a corner by taking a Conely at 3 and then likely have to settle BPA on the board at 11 which might be a wing player.

Of course he would start over Lue, Anthony Johnson, and Speedy “stay hurt” Claxton. The real question on these boards should be would Yi start over Josh Smith at the 4 or could Yi start at center, which I would answer with a resounding NO! The NBA game is way more physical than the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) or the international leagues for that matter. Taking Yi would be the equivalent of taking Marvin all over again, I mean Yi is nothing more than a project he’s not going to help this team WIN GAMES this year. Here is my campaign for the draft this year, “Taking Yi at 3 means saying goodbye to the playoffs before the season starts”, maybe I should print some tee shirts and send them to BK and the ATL Spirit. Its nothing personal against Yi, he could become a good player in league but the last thing this team needs is another forward or a guy playing center that is going to get pushed around in the paint we already have Zaza for that. The Hawks need a physical presence in the middle at center and Yi isn’t it.

there is no way at all that he starts right off of the bat...he's played, what, one year of college? it's not like he's a forward or a guard where he can get a long a bit...he's a point guard...they have a longer learning curve just because of the system he'll have to learn...

will he start by end of season? possibly yes...but no way he comes in and starts right off of the bat....no way.

It really depends on the Coach. But based on talent and skill and the fact that Conley played like a seasoned vet last year I like his chances to start. Since Woody supposedly is a defensive minded coach he would want his best defensive point guard on the floor a la Ivey starting over Lue, not to mention Conley should be able to figure out Woody's offensive game plan what ever that is, its not like Woody has some master offensive scheme like Jerry Sloan.

He probably could start simply because of the fact that he is not turnover prone. Someone posted an article where Woody says he thinks Ivey will be around in the league a long time because he doesn't make mistakes(i.e. stupid turnovers) comparing that part of Ivey's game to Chauncy Billups. Conley's defense plus his low turnovet rate may be to Woody's liking and frankly competition isn't that great for the starters spot. Lue doesn't want it, Salim can't get it, some player or two may have to go(AJ,Lue,Ivey). His real competition will probably be Speedy but if history shows anything Speedy at some point will get hurt and Conley will probably take his job when that happens.

Quote:

It really depends on the Coach. But based on talent and skill and the fact that Conley played like a seasoned vet last year I like his chances to start. Since Woody supposedly is a defensive minded coach he would want his best defensive point guard on the floor a la Ivey starting over Lue, not to mention Conley should be able to figure out Woody's offensive game plan what ever that is, its not like Woody has some master offensive scheme like Jerry Sloan.

you know i forgot we started Ivey, good point...

good lord, we started Ivey. omg.

Quote:

Quote:

you know i forgot we started Ivey, good point...

good lord, we started Ivey. omg.

Ivey Wont be on the roster this year. bannana_guitar.gifnana.gif

He could start, but I don't think he would be very effective.

Can he help the Hawks in their first year? If the answer is NO, then we should NOT draft him...

Conley hasn't shown he can hit the outside shot with any type of consistency, and NBA defenders aren't going to cut him any slack and the 'room for growth' won't come as easily if he had stayed in college for another two years like Deron Williams did when he was with Illinois.