• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN conjecture on Kobe trade...

DavidSomerset

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/...ryDate=20070530

Bill Simmons lists out seven deals...Here's the blurb on the Hawks...Notice the part in bold.

I don't like having JJ in this deal, honestly...I wish we could do something like Lue, Marvin, Chillz, #3 for Kobe...Use #11 on Law/Crit

Quote:

Deal No. 3: Atlanta trades Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, Ty Lue and the No. 11 pick for Kobe and Radmanovic.

Comments: Love this trade for the Lakers because Johnson replaces 75 percent of Kobe's scoring; Williams and Johnson give them two perfect triangle guys; they'd get a quality rookie like Joakim Noah or Al Thornton at No. 11; and they'd even get to dump their one shaky salary in the deal (four more years of Radmanovic at $25 million) for Lue's expiring deal. That's a pretty good haul. Also, Atlanta hasn't had someone who could sell tickets since 'Nique; they could build around Kobe, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia, Shelden Williams, Free Agent Signing X and the No. 3 pick. They could tinker with this deal and substitute the No. 3 and Childress for the No. 11 and Williams and see if L.A. bites on that.

Here's the problem: I can't see Kobe accepting a trade to (A) a young team (even a young team with as much potential as the Hawks), and (B) a moribund NBA city like Atlanta. Seems too far-fetched. But this would be the best-case scenario for the league itself -- sticking Kobe in a big Eastern city, instantly getting another marquee franchise and ending up with a third superstar in a depleted conference.
If David Stern has any juice left -- and it's unclear after the tragic events of May 22 -- he'll make this deal happen.

I don't see it happening for anything less than a package including Joe Johnson.

But is Kobe really THAT much more valuable than JJ?? I know he's a bigger talent, and definitely a bigger name, but does that trade really make us any more of a contender?? Maybe it does; if so then I guess I overestimate Johnson's value.

Quote:

Bill Simmons lists out seven deals...Here's the blurb on the Hawks...Notice the part in bold.

I don't like having JJ in this deal, honestly...I wish we could do something like Lue, Marvin, Chillz, #3 for Kobe...Use #11 on Law/Crit

Quote:

Deal No. 3: Atlanta trades Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, Ty Lue and the No. 11 pick for Kobe and Radmanovic.

Comments: Love this trade for the Lakers because Johnson replaces 75 percent of Kobe's scoring; Williams and Johnson give them two perfect triangle guys; they'd get a quality rookie like Joakim Noah or Al Thornton at No. 11; and they'd even get to dump their one shaky salary in the deal (four more years of Radmanovic at $25 million) for Lue's expiring deal. That's a pretty good haul. Also, Atlanta hasn't had someone who could sell tickets since 'Nique; they could build around Kobe, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia, Shelden Williams, Free Agent Signing X and the No. 3 pick. They could tinker with this deal and substitute the No. 3 and Childress for the No. 11 and Williams and see if L.A. bites on that.

Here's the problem: I can't see Kobe accepting a trade to (A) a young team (even a young team with as much potential as the Hawks), and (B) a moribund NBA city like Atlanta. Seems too far-fetched. But this would be the best-case scenario for the league itself -- sticking Kobe in a big Eastern city, instantly getting another marquee franchise and ending up with a third superstar in a depleted conference.
If David Stern has any juice left -- and it's unclear after the tragic events of May 22 -- he'll make this deal happen.

It's doubtful he will even be traded but if so, that would be a great deal, except I rather have Josh Smith in the deal and not Marvin, Marvin a role player, is not, he would be a much better fit.

Quote:

But is Kobe really THAT much more valuable than JJ?? I know he's a bigger talent, and definitely a bigger name, but does that trade really make us any more of a contender?? Maybe it does; if so then I guess I overestimate Johnson's value.

No, I think you are exactly right. Kobe is a fantastic player, but the reality is that he hasn't won diddly-squat minus Shaq... which is really not all that surprising.

IMO with this trade, we'd be giving up too much for a guy that clearly needs the help of others around him- and we unfortunately don't happen to have a Shaq. And they can keep Radman and his 25 million dollar deal. Yechhh.