• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Memphis fans on Pau trade ideas

txsting

Here's an interesting thread from a Grizz board:

http://grizzlies.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t...76/m/2221074202

Apparently they saw Sekou's trade idea and many liked it. Other ideas centered around Smoove.

#3/Smoove/Zaza/Lo was kicked around but several agreed that was asking too much. The "cheapest" idea I saw was Smoove/#11/filler for Pau. I don't even like that because it puts us in a bad value position with the #3 pick.

I am also starting to believe that the asking price for Pau will have to include Smoove and at least one of the picks. Who has the cojones to do that? I just don't think it makes enough sense for us, considering Yi is just sitting right there in front of us, with all that potential and the huge bag of cash that he's dragging behind him.

I'm leaning strongly to Yi. I like the gamble. I like the secondary benefits. I like keeping the #11 pick because I think it represents excellent value for a PG selection. I like the idea of keeping our core. I like the financial ability to resign everybody if we choose.

I like Pau too. But it would have to be a homerun type deal for me (#3/(Chill or Zaza)/Craig). And I just don't think that will happen.

I too like the idea of keeping the picks unless we can trade #3 for a clear difference maker.

Allow me to play devil's advocate on the Pau trade.

My initial thoughts:

tempted.gif

First, Pau will not solve our need for a Center. If Pau were a center I could see it, but he is a PF with height. Sure, he's played some C, but this is not his best position. I think we can get a younger Pau with Yi.

Second, I tend to steer away from players with histories of recurring injury. I just don't think Pau can make it through a full season anymore. He eventually breaks down or is hampered by the time the playoffs roll around. I think this is one of the reasons tha Memphis is willing to part with him.

Third, since Pau's best years are probably behind him, he is not a long-term solution. Bringing him aboard would probably hurt the development of our younger talent.

Lastly, I am concerned that the combination of Pau's health and contract have the potential to hurt us.

There is no gamble at all in Smith/#11 for Gasol if you are leaning to Yi. That gives everyone on this board exactly what they want.

Smith is my favorite Hawk but I am realistic enough to know that Chill, Marvin, and Joe can play the three and Sheldon or Solo can play the four. We don't have a legit center and if we can trade Smith to get one that gives us 20/10, see ya. Josh is an athletic freak with the heart of a lion. But you have to think that a combination of Gasol and Sheldon will replace every point and rebound we would have had with Smith.

We might not be on SportsCenter, but we will be playing basketball in May. All the while, we can see the magic of General Yi getting Pau and Joe on the allstar team, selling Hawks Jersies, and getting 15 minutes a game in Woody's system.