• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Conley at 11 thoughts

GoDawgs21

Just updating this thought.........

I hate Ford and his crack pot journalism, but in his recent blog he cited Andy Katz and several other sources for possible draft talk. The main points being McHale loves Hawes and might be close to making him a promise at 7 so he stays in the draft and also that Char loved Brewer. Also Green may pull out.

So looking at the top 11. Baring trades......... its looking my possible then anything else

1 POR Greg Oden,

2 SEA Kevin Durant,

3 ATL Yi Jianlian

4 MEM Al Horford (clearly this is their target)

5 BOS Brandan Wright

6 MIL Julian Wright

7 MIN Spencer Hawes

8 CHA Corey Brewer

9 CHI ????

10 SAC Joakim Noah

11 ATL Mike Conley,

The only spot is if Boston trades out of 5 or Mil, goes with Conley at 6. If Conley gets past 6th there is no reason to think that he wont make it to 11. If Min, Cha, are sold on Hawes and Brewer they would not be trading out of those spots. Chi and Sac both need frontcourt help and are unlikely to take a PG or trade to pass up on the likes of Noah. The more the draft comes together the more I believe Conley will be there at 11.

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/draft/mock

Mock Drafts

Tony Mejia Gary Parrish TSX

1 POR Greg Oden, C, Ohio State

2 SEA Kevin Durant, F, Texas

3 ATL Al Horford, F, Florida

4 MEM Brandan Wright, F, North Carolina

5 BOS Yi Jianlian, F/C, Guangdong, China

6 MIL Julian Wright, F, Kansas

7 MIN Corey Brewer, G/F, Florida

8 CHA Spencer Hawes, C, Washington

9 CHI Jeff Green, F, Georgetown

10 SAC Joakim Noah, F, Florida

11 ATL Mike Conley, G, Ohio State

12 PHI Al Thornton, F, Florida State

13 NO Nick Young, G, Southern California

14 LAC Javaris Crittenton, G, Georgia Tech

15 DET Acie Law, G, Texas A&M

This is why most of us are not sold on Conley. It's not that he isn't good, but is he worth the 3rd pick when he himself or another PG could be there at 11. One must forget that it was Conley's camp that put out there Por wanted to trade to Atl to get him at 3. There is always hype put out there to inflate a persons draft status. Prior to the tournament there was still a question if he should come out.

So all this being said, if we take Yi (my pick) or Hofford at 3, does Conley fall to us at 11 baring trades.

Memphis could take him, but but I believe they are looking for a post presence to team with Pau.

Bos ? with the three young PG they have would they?

Mil is the best candidate between 3 and 11

Min has Foye

Cha has Knight and Felton

Chi has hinrich

Sac possible to replace Bibby

There is a very good chance he could fall to 11.

This would make Hawksquawk land such a happy place for the most part. Can that ever happen, no bitching and moaning, but actual happiness on this board.

[/indent]

I put this up yesterday. For all the Conley lovers, its not the we hate him, but he isn't woth the 3rd pick. If you look later in that thread all of the mocks prelottery selection have him going 10th or below. It wasn't until we got the 3rd pick and people said will Atl needs a PG did he skyrocket. All the talk about Por wanting to trade to get him was from Mike Conley Sr's camp to try and raise his value. I have a sneaky feeling he will be there at 11.

Quote:

Just updating this thought.........

I hate Ford and his crack pot journalism, but in his recent blog he cited Andy Katz and several other sources for possible draft talk. The main points being McHale loves Hawes and might be close to making him a promise at 7 so he stays in the draft and also that Char loved Brewer. Also Green may pull out.

So looking at the top 11. Baring trades......... its looking my possible then anything else

1 POR Greg Oden,

2 SEA Kevin Durant,

3 ATL Yi Jianlian

5 BOS Brandan Wright

6 MIL Julian Wright

7 MIN Spencer Hawes

8 CHA Corey Brewer

9 CHI ????

10 SAC Joakim Noah

11 ATL Mike Conley,

The only spot is if Boston trades out of 5 or Mil, goes with Conley at 6. If Conley gets past 6th there is no reason to think that he wont make it to 11. If Min, Cha, are sold on Hawes and Brewer they would not be trading out of those spots. Chi and Sac both need frontcourt help and are unlikely to take a PG or trade to pass up on the likes of Noah. The more the draft comes together the more I believe Conley will be there at 11.

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/draft/mock

Mock Drafts

Tony Mejia Gary Parrish TSX

1 POR Greg Oden, C, Ohio State

2 SEA Kevin Durant, F, Texas

3 ATL Al Horford, F, Florida

4 MEM Brandan Wright, F, North Carolina

5 BOS Yi Jianlian, F/C, Guangdong, China

6 MIL Julian Wright, F, Kansas

7 MIN Corey Brewer, G/F, Florida

8 CHA Spencer Hawes, C, Washington

9 CHI Jeff Green, F, Georgetown

10 SAC Joakim Noah, F, Florida

11 ATL Mike Conley, G, Ohio State

12 PHI Al Thornton, F, Florida State

13 NO Nick Young, G, Southern California

14 LAC Javaris Crittenton, G, Georgia Tech

15 DET Acie Law, G, Texas A&M

This is why most of us are not sold on Conley. It's not that he isn't good, but is he worth the 3rd pick when he himself or another PG could be there at 11. One must forget that it was Conley's camp that put out there Por wanted to trade to Atl to get him at 3. There is always hype put out there to inflate a persons draft status. Prior to the tournament there was still a question if he should come out.

So all this being said, if we take Yi (my pick) or Hofford at 3, does Conley fall to us at 11 baring trades.

Memphis could take him, but but I believe they are looking for a post presence to team with Pau.

Bos ? with the three young PG they have would they?

Mil is the best candidate between 3 and 11

Min has Foye

Cha has Knight and Felton

Chi has hinrich

Sac possible to replace Bibby

There is a very good chance he could fall to 11.

This would make Hawksquawk land such a happy place for the most part. Can that ever happen, no bitching and moaning, but actual happiness on this board.

[/indent]

I put this up yesterday. For all the Conley lovers, its not the we hate him, but he isn't woth the 3rd pick. If you look later in that thread all of the mocks prelottery selection have him going 10th or below. It wasn't until we got the 3rd pick and people said will Atl needs a PG did he skyrocket. All the talk about Por wanting to trade to get him was from Mike Conley Sr's camp to try and raise his value. I have a sneaky feeling he will be there at 11.

[/indent]

I've read about 10 different mock drafts...7 of them have him going between 3-7 and one has him going to the Kings at 10. 2 mocks have him going to the Hawks but these mocks are before his unbelieveable combine results (highest speed time, I think 4th or 5th highest vertical time, 5th rated athelte, etc). The Bulls worked him out on Saturday and they said that it was VERY unlikely for him to be available at 9. Only hawks fans think Conley is a reach at 3, yet horford isn't, even though Horford was like the 2nd or 3rd best player on his team.

There were questions about Marcus Williams' work ethic and other behaviorial issues (laptop theft)...Conley's work ethic was never in question (look at the Orlando numbers)...as a freshmen he led the Big Ten in assists, assist to turnover ratio, and steals, plus he shot 52% from the field. Here's how Conley stacks up to other point guards that we passed up in the draft:

Conley: FG% .518, 3P% .304, FT% .694, TS% .592, Assists/Turnovers 238/86, Steals 87, PPG: 11.3, RPG 3.4, APG 6.1

Paul: FG% .451, 3P% .474, FT% .834, TS% .611, Assists/Turnovers 212/89, Steals 76, PPG: 15.3, RPG 4.5, APG 6.6

Williams: FG% .433, 3P% .364, FT% .677, TS% .539, Assists/Turnovers 264/109, Steals 38, PPG: 12.5, RPG 3.6, APG 6.8

Felton: FG% .455, 3P% .440, FT% .701, TS% .596, Assists/Turnovers 249/129 Steals 72, PPG: 12.9, RPG 4.3, APG 6.9

Better than all of them in assist to turnover ratio, steals, and destroys all of them in field goal percentage...so once again when we draft Horford or Wright, we'll pass up the best point guard in the draft for either a forward with the most upside or a forward who's the most "NBA ready" in the draft.

One "X" factor about Conley that I've read is some teams feel like he might sway Oden to sign somewhere with him whenever their rookie contracts are up. I know it's a long shot, but I have read that in one or two places a few weeks ago.

Quote:

1 POR Greg Oden,

2 SEA Kevin Durant,

3 ATL Yi Jianlian

5 BOS Brandan Wright

6 MIL Julian Wright

7 MIN Spencer Hawes

8 CHA Corey Brewer

9 CHI ????

10 SAC Joakim Noah

11 ATL Mike Conley,

I think this is realistic, although not necessarily probable. To fill in the blank, I believe in this scenario Chicago would take Noah. But with Artest being more likely to leave than Bibby, I think Sacramento would draft either Green or Thornton. So we would still get Conley.

i think anything is possible in the draft.

i don't think marcus williams is a good comparison because he had some off the court issues as well as being overweight in workouts etc.

however, conley slipping to 11 is definitely feasible. if he stinks up the joint in shooting drills like he did in orlando, in his private workouts there is a possibility he is going to drop anywhere from 8-13.

Quote:

I say we should trade up and get him, #11 and Childress, for the 5th pick and take him there. I don't think he'll be there at 11, Milwaukee would probably take him, if Brewer is gone.

conley is not a CHILDRESS better prospect than law/critt

people need to stop undervaluing him