• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Do you see what I see (nothing)?

WraithSentinel

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...see_what_2.html

Do you see what I see (nothing)?

By Sekou K Smith | Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 05:17 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Since the media is not allowed inside the Hawks’ player workouts, we’ll have to rely on my spies to give us the lowdown on who did what.

The word coming out of today’s point guard session was that all three guys - Acie Law, Javaris Crittenton and Jamon Gordon - were impressive. They all looked like they were a bit tired of the process (all of them are working on multiple workouts, so the quality of play didn’t match the oversized effort).

My spies told me that they didn’t go up against each enough to really give observers any indication as to who might have a particular advantage over the other in any specific area.

That’s the unfortunate aspect of these workouts that I think is lost on most people (and yes, I’ve been allowed in workouts before, just not this time around with the Hawks - per club policy). But I’ll get back to complaining after I relay what my spies said about the workout.

According to my spies, Crittenton looked the most physically impressive (as expected) but that Law was no slouch in that department and clearly appeared to be the most advanced offensive player (again, no surprise there). Yet Gordon was the most tenacious defender and the most pleasantly surprising of the three (as should have been expected since he isn’t as highly regarded as his workout partners). Another spy said there was basically no difference between the three guys (he actually ranked Gordon and Crittenton ahead of Law, and reiterated that Gordon stood as much or more than anyone), though the upside for Crittenton is hard to ignore.

The reviews of Brandan Wright were as expected - “dude is 200 pounds soaking wet but caught everything at or above the square [on the backboard] during drills. I can see the athleticism but he’s a long way from being able to help this team do what they need to in the paint.”

Now back to my griping about the system.

Other than checking out a guy’s true height and physical stature (and how much crap he’s willing and able to put up with from your coaching staff during the workout), these things are more about putting on show than they are about anything else.

Because if anyone involved in this entire process was serious about finding out who really wants to get after it, all the top prospects would be working out at the predraft camp in that kill or be killed meat market where the feeble are tossed aside and only the grimiest cats survive.

It’s just a thought, this idea of changing the process. But not something I expect to happen anytime soon, certainly not in my time dealing with the NBA, because the current system allows for the manipulation of the situation by all involved to serve their own interests.

Still, how sweet would it be to have all the guys the Hawks have scheduled for workouts split up into two or three teams and working out over say two or three days in every way imaginable? You’d be able to make some well-informed decisions after watching guys in that setting.

In the meantime, we’ll have to rely on my spies.

Quote:

According to my spies, Crittenton looked the most physically impressive (as expected) but that Law was no slouch in that department and clearly appeared to be the most advanced offensive player (again, no surprise there). Yet Gordon was the most tenacious defender and the most pleasantly surprising of the three (as should have been expected since he isn’t as highly regarded as his workout partners).
Another spy said there was basically no difference between the three guys (he actually ranked Gordon and Crittenton ahead of Law, and reiterated that Gordon stood as much or more than anyone), though the upside for Crittenton is hard to ignore.

And some people on the squawk swear that Law is the best point guard in the draft, yet he didn't look any better than Crittenton or Gordon!

something.gif

Quote:

Quote:

According to my spies, Crittenton looked the most physically impressive (as expected) but that Law was no slouch in that department and clearly appeared to be the most advanced offensive player (again, no surprise there). Yet Gordon was the most tenacious defender and the most pleasantly surprising of the three (as should have been expected since he isn’t as highly regarded as his workout partners).
Another spy said there was basically no difference between the three guys (he actually ranked Gordon and Crittenton ahead of Law, and reiterated that Gordon stood as much or more than anyone), though the upside for Crittenton is hard to ignore.

And some people on the squawk swear that Law is the best point guard in the draft, yet he didn't look any better than Crittenton or Gordon!

something.gif

Didnt realize you could tell how good of a pg someone is by getting 2nd hand information about player performance drills.

Good luck with all that.

Quote:

The reviews of Brandan Wright were as expected - “dude is 200 pounds soaking wet but caught everything at or above the square [on the backboard] during drills. I can see the athleticism but he’s a long way from being able to help this team do what they need to in the paint.”

i've said it a million times and i'll say it once more. If we draft this character, BK should be fired on the spot. And i've defended several of BK's moves. This, however, would take the cake.