• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel as GM....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Stepping away from the Van Gundy, Fratello, Doc GM decision, I decided to point out some things about our team that needs to be addressed.

1. JT. I would resign JT. 5 yr 36 million with a team option during the 3rd year and a player option in the 4th. I think that's very fair. We get a player who could still use a lot of development. I disagree with Van Gundy about players either having it or not. I understand his position that he would rather not develop, however, in this new league, development is a must.

2. Theo. I'm not saying that I wouldn't trade Theo. Right now, his value is SKY High. Especially if he edges out Wallace for Blocks. I think he's overpaid and he is not the stopper that most people believes. He does play good help defense, but teams come at him. Last night, White and Heywood were trying to build a highlight reel by overpowering Theo. (BTW, I would love to get Heywood in a Hawks Uni. That guy is solid.).

3. Reef. He's paid a lot. He's not flashy. But Reef is about the most offensively skilled PF in the game. Say what you want about Walker, Oneal. Those guys are really good. However, when Reef Faces up... He outclasses both of them easily. Last night he handled the ball on the break? It was good to see him drop his head, and dribble.

4. Big Dog. Big Dog haven't worked out. I think it's because we don't have a PG that can Run the offense, but nevertheless, he hasn't worked. I'm not against keeping big dog because if we can get the right people in here, big Dog would become a huge asset. However, this team needs three things...

a. LEADERSHIP.

b. A Good PG who can run the Show.

c. ROles defined.

I say we are better off now than we were with Lon. With Lon we were lacking all three. Now, we atleast have started defining roles.

5. Glover. I would resign Glover, however, I would also look at him as trade bait.

6. Nazr. Nazr is about our most tradable player if we decide to keep Theo.

7. Hendu. Well, I think Hendu has value. He rebounds well for 6'10. However, I don't think his contract would be welcomed anywhere. I would keep him because he can BU C.

8. Ira. Hate to say Goodbye to Ty Corbin Jr. But I don't see the need for spending more than 1 million for him. I'd rather have DJ and his potential (if he can play).

9. Dickau. Hmm? Can we trade Dickau for Wilkes?

The other thing is coach. As well as Stotts have started, If we are in the business for a new something, I would want Fratello as GM/Coach. Simply because he understands the game on both levels and HE loves Atlanta. Plus he's a good teacher.

I like Isiah too. I think he could be GM and that's it. I think Isiah would probably be GM and let Stotts stay. Then if things got too rough on Stotts, he'd pull a Poppivich and make himself coach.

Same goes for Doc. However, I'm sure that Doc would want to do both. GM and Coach. I like him enough to let him.

In reply to:

I say we are better off now than we were with Lon.

The winning percentage is worse under Stotts and he's had more games to get his system in place this season.

If Lon was the big problem that some thought he was, Stotts isn't doing much to help that argument, and the record proves this.

In reply to:

The other thing is coach. As well as Stotts have started, If we are in the business for a new something, I would want Fratello as GM/Coach. Simply because he understands the game on both levels and HE loves Atlanta. Plus he's a good teacher.

As well as Stotts has started? 19-29 is not well, especially when that has included a large number of double digit losses and a worse record than his predecessor who was fired.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fratello come back though. I think that Doc Rivers is the man to go after if at all possible. He belongs back in Atlanta. A combination of the two would be wonderful.

• Premium Member

Adtually, Lon had 3 yrs with 3 camps to get his system in place. Stotts didn't even have the advantage of Camp. However, watching you can see the improvement.

Fratello did mention Doc... But I don't know if Doc wants another GM over him.

Hasn't Kasten said that they would not be hiring a coach/GM?

I see the Hawks keeping Billy Knight as the GM. Head coach is what they will focus on. I can't see Stotts sticking around. Which is a shame for him, but he will get a job somewhere else. I would really like to see Van Gundy. And What are the odd of Doc Rivers coming here, or Isaiah for that matter? Has there even been any talk of them leaving their current jobs? I'd like to see whoever the head coach is bring Dominique in as an asistant. Nique has got to start getting some coaching on his resume and the assistant position is a good starting point.

I know that it's clearly in his defense, but everyone wants to get rid of Dan Dickau because he's not putting up huge stats for a rookie. He can't really do much more, considering that he only averages 10 minutes per, and the only reason that's so high is because of two 30 minute games that he had. He's definitely undersized, put there are plenty of PGs his size in the NBA. If he had the chance to play more, very few people would have a problem with what he's done.

Dan would be doing a lot better now if he hadn't lost all that time to injury. He was slowed even when he was out there before the surgery. I watched last night on TNT, and he looked better than he did at the game I went to about a month and a half ago. All he needs to do is use the rest of the season to get a better feel for NBA speed, then play in the summer league and hone his skills. He'll show up next season looking a lot better. He has the tools, he just hasn't been able to fully use them yet.

He's not a pg either.He has shoot first game also

and he struggles to get his shot off alot of times.

Not to mention he doesn't have a NBA type of

body.

I agree fully with what they said last night during the game: that he needs to hit the weight room over the summer. But that's basically what a rookie season is for: finding out what you have to do to be successful for the rest of your career. Some just know much faster. And last night, he passed every time he had the ball, except once, and that was when he knocked down the open 3. If he gets some more muscle, next year he'll have a lot less trouble getting shots up.

• Premium Member

to have or be having problems with his GM as we speak. I think being a PG, Doc has an attitude that he needs to be in charge. For that purpose, I think if Atlanta offered or was offering GM/Coach, Doc would leave Orlando in a heartbeat.

Isiah too for that matter.

There is only one coach that has the title of General Manager/Head Coach. That is Don Nelson, and he's doing pretty good.

All of the others, Larry Brown, George Karl, Rudy Tomjanovich, Pat Riley, and Greg Popovich are head coaches with the final say in all basketball matters, but they have a general manager that aids them. Brown has Billy King. Karl has Ernie Grunfeld. Riley has Randy Pfund. I can't remember the names of the guys in SA and Houston. All but Riley have playoff teams.

This team could hire Doc as head coach and give him final say in all basketball matters, and they could hire Billy Knight as the GM at the same time.

• Premium Member

Who sits over Poppivich in San Antonio?

I agree with Riley... he has Randy Pfund. He was released as GM a few years ago.

I agree with Larry Brown. He has never been GM. He has King. Nobody ever gives King Credit.

Karl and Rudy T were never mentioned as GMs. In fact, Karl has one of the more popular GMs in the history of the NBA and so does Rudy.

However, Popp and Nellie are coach/GMs.

• Premium Member

About Doc.... They could make Doc GM/Coach. Or even allow him to do exactly what POPP did.

Starting him off as GM. Let Stotts start the season. Then Midseason, he take over for Stotts and becomes Coach/GM.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/gregg_popovic...x.html?nav=page

Pop was named the Spurs General Manager on May 31, 1994. He served as GM for eight full seasons before turning the job over to R.C. Buford on July 1, 2002.

Named the Spurs Head Coach on December 10, 1996,

===========================================

Looks like he was HC/GM from 12/96 thru 07/02. I have never heard of R.C. Buford.

Karl and Tomjanovich both have final say. Ernie Grunfeld and Carroll Dawson just have the title of GM.

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/denberg_jeffrey/1431282.html

The Coach/GM

They are coaches who run the show, but obviously, they learned nothing from Rick Pitino's astonishing incompetence in Boston or John Calipari's foolishness in New Jersey. These guys want total power, and half of them are in Texas where big egos reside.

Don Nelson of Dallas, Rudy Tomjanovich of Houston and Gregg Popovich of San Antonio grandly make the final call on deals and signings. Then there's Pat Riley kind of power in Miami. Utah's Jerry Sloan shares his with vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor.

The Right-Hand Man GM

When the coach wants to call the shots but needs a little distance between him and the deed, he calls in a qualified guy.

That's why Ernie Grunfeld works for George Karl in Milwaukee and why Billy King tries to keep Larry Brown unruffled. It might be tempting to put a guy like Mitch Kupchak in this group but there are hints from fellow GMs that he has more steel than that, with a stronger voice and a good eye for talent.

• Premium Member

I see the relationship between King and Brown...

But Grunfeld has been in this business a long time. More importantly, I would have thought that Karl would have gotten rid of Cassell a long time ago.