• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DerMarr Back at Practice, but Will He Be a Hawk?

jaywalker72

Saying he is “the same as I was this summer”, DerMarr Johnson returned to practice just before the Hawks made their departure for New York for their game Tuesday night against the Knicks, nearly completing an amazing comeback from the fiery September car crash that claimed his season and nearly his life.

RealGM's Jason Walker talks to the 6'9 shooting guard to see how his health is holding up, thoughts about playing again this season, and where he might end up next year.

Read the entire article:

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=305

Good article, Jay.

It's always good to hear news on DerMarr's amazing recovery. Whether he plays in a game this year or not, it's still amazing.

I don't worry too much about other teams signing him. As tight as money in the NBA is these days, no one will make a big offer to a guy who they don't know can play. We've gotten the chance to watch he rehab, while they haven't.

I think we would be foolish to offer him a big deal, as well. He has regained his athleticism, but we don't know how he will react when placed back in a game situation.

I like Slim, he seems like a great guy. We all thought this would be his breakout year. I want to see him back in a Hawks uniform. I think a one-year deal for close to the minimum would work best for both parties.

• Premium Member

GS might give us a run for DJ. Simply because they will be revamping their whole Backcourt. I think that they would consider trading JRich for the right PG.

IF So, they will probably come after a defensive talent like DJ if he's 95-100%.

Oh, I'm not totally ruling out other teams making a run at him. I can see E-Muss at GS going for DJ, Babcock if he catches on in Chicago, or even Stotts, if we let him go and he catches on somewhere as an Assistant.

I'm just saying, no one will offer him much more than the minimum. GS is struggling to find the cash to pay Arenas, no way they offer Slim much more than the minimum. Same with Chicago or any other team in this league. Teams just won't take a chance on a guy with that type of very serious injury in his past.

If it came down to it, and the Warriors, Bulls, and Hawks all put out the same offer to Slim (1 yr. for the minimum), I think he would stay here.

if we signed him this offseason, would we then get/reget his Bird rights? or were those completely lost due to our not extending his rookie contract?

additionally, GS can't afford to have him come in and perform, they've got enough trouble finding time for their swingmen as is...