• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tuesday Insiders

Artest makes presence felt in Game 2

By Terry Brown

NBA Insider

Pierce

"I just feel sick, man," Paul Pierce told the Boston Globe after the Pacers beat the Celtics 89-77 to even their series at 1-1. "I couldn't really go through the whole shootaround. I felt weak -- I haven't been throwing up or anything like that, just headache, coughing, nose running. I'm taking a little medication, keeping fluids in me so I don't get dehydrated. I haven't been able to sleep real good. I don't want to feel this way. I want to feel 100 percent. If it's not injuries, you want to at least feel good. You don't want to be sick going into the playoffs, but I'd rather be sick than have a major injury or anything like that. At least, I can play through this."

Some people call it the flu or head cold or combination of both. Others call it Artest-itis and have plenty of personal fouls, flagrant fouls, technical fouls and suspensions to prove it.

"You want to know the big adjustments in Game 2?" wrote C. Jemal Horton in the Indianapolis Star. "Ron Artest didn't foul out ..."

In the fourth quarter of last night's game, Pierce missed all four of his field goal attempts.

Now compare that to the fourth quarter of the first game in which Ron Artest fouled out with more than 6 minutes left to play and the Celtics won, 103-100.

Pierce exploded for 21 of his 40 points in the final quarter, leading Boston back from a 13-point deficit in the final 7½ minutes

Artest

"He's tough," Artest said in the Indianapolis Star. "I've been playing with my tongue on the floor. He had that one big quarter when he slipped out for a minute, but that won't happen again. He's going to have to work for everything. He's making us work, for sure. It's not easy guarding a guy like that, but it's got to be done."

In all, Paul Pierce is 13 of 42 in the series from the field for 31 percent and 4 of 12 from 3-point range. After averaging 25.9 points per game during the regular season, he's averaging 27 per game in the playoffs. But take away that one fourth quarter and he's shooting 9 of 37 from the field for 24 percent and 2 of 10 from 3-point range -- averaging only 16.5 points per game.

So if you didn't happen to see the third quarter of last night's game, you can still guess what happened.

With 3:03 left in the quarter, Antoine Walker is hit in the face before Paul Pierce is whistled for a technical foul in retaliation.

The culprit is Ron Artest.

With 1:44 left in the quarter, Paul Pierce takes a 14-foot jumper that is blocked.

The culprit is Ron Artest.

"There's no friends in war," Pierce told the Globe. "When we knock them down, we're not going to pick them up. If they knock us down, I hope they don't try to pick us up because that shows a sign of weakness. That's what playoff basketball is all about. Your intensity is up. Both teams are going to war because you're both fighting for the same thing."

Players show who wins games

C. Jemal Horton / Indianapolis Star

Artest keeps Pierce in check

Mark Montieth / Indianapolis Star

Pierce plays hoarse, then all 48

Shira Springer / Boston Globe

Pacers finally have answers

Hank Lowenkron / Boston Globe

Lottery questions: Can these 13 unlucky teams turn it around this summer?

By Chad Ford

NBA Insider

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Michael Jordan and the Wizards are dead and buried.

The Cavaliers ended their horrendous season true to form. They won their last game, wrecking their chance to have the worst record in the league and the most pingpong balls in the draft lottery . . .

Donald "Sugar Daddy" Sterling was last seen burning green in his luxury box . . .

For the first time in 15 years, there are scraps left over at the dinner table in Chicago now that Jerry Krause has left the Bulls . . .

On Monday Insider talked about the ramifications of losing in the first round of the playoffs. Today, Insider digs through the mailbag and takes a look back at the fallen . . .

Q: Please tell me that the Rockets will make the playoffs next year. With Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Yao Ming and Eddie Griffin that's a playoff team, right? -- R. Tomjanovich, Houston.

Eddie Griffin

Power Forward

Houston Rockets

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

77 8.6 6.0 1.1 .400 .617

FORD: That's a tough call. I like the Rockets, but they are in the same boat with the Sonics, Warriors, Grizzlies, Clippers and Nuggets. All of them figure to get better next season, but who are they going to knock out of the playoffs?

Seriously. The eighth seed, the Suns, are on the rise. If Amare Stoudemire keeps up the learning curve, they'll be fighting for a fifth or sixth seed next season. The Jazz are on the decline a bit, but if they can land Andre Miller this summer, my guess is that they're still in the playoffs next season when the smoke clears. The Blazers are always a grand jury away from implosion, but they have too much talent. The Lakers are the Lakers. And the T-Wolves will always have a shot as long as Kevin Garnett still wears a uniform. In other words, barring a catastrophic injury to one of the current eight playoff teams in the West, it's hard to see it happening.

The Rockets have other issues. They don't have a first-round pick this year. And owner Les Alexander isn't anxious for the team to use its mid-level exception because of luxury-tax issues. At some point, the Rockets are going to have to either cross their fingers that Griffin and Bostjan Nachbar start playing up to their potential, or they're going to have to look for a trade. I like the Rockets, but they still seem to be a piece away.

Q: Is there any way we can pry the Seattle native Jamal Crawford away from the Bulls? And while your at it, any draft recommendations? -- N. McMillan, Seattle.

Vladimir Radmanovic

Power Forward

Seattle SuperSonics

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

72 10.1 4.5 1.3 .410 .706

FORD: It's possible. If you're Chicago, you'd have to listen to an offer of Vladimir Radmanovic for Crawford. Radmanovic is the type of big, sweet shooting small forward the team has been looking for. It's pretty clear that new GM John Paxson isn't sold on the idea of Crawford and Jay Williams playing together in the backcourt. I don't think a trade like that is out of the question. While you're at it, the Sonics should see what it would take to get Marcus Fizer as part of the package.

As far as draft recommendations, the Sonics are looking at, most likely, a 12th and 15th pick in the draft. One of those they'll likely use on a legit power forward. Someone like Georgetown's Michael Sweetney would be great if he was still available. The other will probably be used on a point guard. Kirk Hinrich, Luke Ridnour, Reece Gaines or Brazil's Leandrinho Barbosa should be available. After watching Barbosa's highlight tape, I'd be inclined to go for the young Brazilian. He reminded me of a young Gary Payton.

Q: Are the Warriors screwed if Gilbert Arenas decides to sign in Denver? -- R. Barry, Oakland.

Gilbert Arenas

Point Guard

Golden State Warriors

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

82 18.3 4.7 6.3 .431 .791

FORD: Pretty much. They have a lot of talent, but he's the guy who could be a superstar. I'm not sure what they can do to stop it. Sign-and-trades are out of the question. The chances that they're able to clear $20 million in cap room this summer are slim to none. Pleas for Arenas to take considerably less to stay in Golden State will likely fall on deaf ears.

Losing Arenas without compensation hurts. It leaves the Warriors with three options. First, they can try to lure Gary Payton or Jason Kidd back to Bay via free agency. The one thing the Warriors have going in their favor is that they have some expendable young talent. If Payton or Kidd demanded a sign-and-trade to the Warriors, the team could probably put together a decent deal in return.

Second, the team can try to draft a point guard to replace him. Hinrich, Ridnour, Gaines and Barbosa are all possibilities, but none of them will have the impact that Arenas did last year. Finally, they can try to package Mike Dunleavy and their first-round pick for someone like Jamal Crawford or Jay Williams. If none of that works, the Warriors will find it hard to duplicate the success they enjoyed this season.

Q: I'm still in shock over how pathetic the Wizards were down the stretch this season. I'm even more shocked at how Doug Collins can't seem to control a handful of teenagers who should still be in college. Or how Abe Pollin is already trying to push Michael Jordan out the back door. Or how Jerry Stackhouse is predicting the Wizards will be better next season without MJ. I could go on . . . -- C. Oakley, Washington D.C.

Jerry Stackhouse

Guard-Forward

Washington Wizards

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

70 21.5 3.7 4.5 .409 .878

FORD: Apparently, you didn't get the memo that Wizards fans were happy this season because MJ played. There's no question that there are more question marks than answers in D.C. right now. First, it's still unclear what role Jordan will play with the team next season. There are ongoing reports, including a doozy in the Washington Post today, that Jordan and owner Abe Pollin are not on the same page. Jordan wants control, Pollin wants Wes Unseld to remain in charge. What seemed unfathomable a month ago -- the Wizards would actually push Jordan out the door -- now seems possible. I still think, at the end of the day, Pollin will relent and hand the reigns over to Michael. The Wizards were nobodys three years ago without Michael. They'll be nobodys again if they let him flee for Charlotte or Chicago.

If Jordan goes, you can bet Doug Collins will follow him out the door. Even if Jordan stays, it's tough to see how Collins can coach this team. He's not fond of any of the players and apparently they aren't fond of him. The Wizards, barring some draft and free-agent magic, are going in the wrong direction. Why would Collins want to coach this team?

After that, everything depends on Stackhouse. His camp has been maintaining for some time that he's probably not going to opt out given the market. However, given the direction of the Wizards, does he really want to play there next season? If he opts out of his contract, the Wizards will likely renounce him and use the money they saved (they'd be around $12 million under the cap) to try to add a dynamic young piece like Gilbert Arenas to the puzzle. If Stackhouse stays, the Wizards won't have much more than a late lottery pick and the mid-level exception to work with. Look for them to try to trade Stackhouse for a more traditional point guard.

Q: Is Antonio McDyess ever going to be the same? Are the Knicks ever going to find a real center? Or a real point guard? -- S. Lee, New York

Antonio McDyess

Power Forward

New York Knicks

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

- - - - - -

FORD: It doesn't look good. The second surgery on McDyess' knee isn't good news no matter what the spin is coming out of New York. I'm not saying that he won't come back and play next season, but if he loses his explosiveness, what's the point?

There aren't any "real" centers out there worth the Knicks' trouble. If they had cap room, they could make a pitch at guys like Brad Miller or Rasho Nesterovic, but they'll get deals for more than the mid-level exception. The best center in the draft is probably Central Michigan's Chris Kaman. However, if the Knicks end up drafting either ninth or 10th, he'll probably be off the board.

As far as point guards go, they have one. He'll just be playing in Spain next season. Before you go and beat the tar out of GM Scott Layden for screwing up the negotiations with Milos Vujanic, hear me out. Several international sources told Insider last week that the Knicks offered Vujanic a contract starting at more than $2 million a year. They didn't lowball him. His agent just convinced him that he was better off being a star in Spain than sitting on the bench in New York. However, a recent ankle injury should give Vujanic pause. He's got more to lose than to gain by playing in Europe next season.

Q: Should the Hawks re-sign Jason Terry this summer? Call me crazy, but I think he's the most valuable player on the team. -- J. Terry, Atlanta

Jason Terry

Guard

Atlanta Hawks

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

81 17.2 3.4 7.4 .428 .887

FORD: OK. . . No one's clear what's going to happen to the Hawks this summer. New owners? New coach? New GM? New philosophy? They had the talent to make the playoffs this year, but the chemistry just wasn't there.

In hindsight, the Glenn Robinson trade was big mistake. The Hawks actually played better without Robinson than they did with him. They'd love to trade him, and there may be a deal out there that makes sense. Don't be shocked if the Rockets entertain swapping Glen Rice for Robinson. While Rice wouldn't be an upgrade for the team, his contract expires at the end of next season, meaning the Hawks could get his contract off the books in a year.

The team's other big problem is its backcourt. Terry played well this season, but Terry Stotts (and Lon Kruger before him) still doesn't believe he's a point guard. The Hawks will likely let Terry play the free-agent market. He's a restricted free agent and it's unlikely that he'll get a huge offer this summer. The should be able to re-sign him cheap or work out a sign-and-trade for a more traditional two guard. Dan Dickau didn't look like the answer at point guard either, but I think they're willing to give him another year to adjust.

The draft won't be much of help. If the Hawks do not get one of the top-three picks (they have a 3.37 percent chance at No. 2 and a 4.02 percent chance at No. 3), they must send their pick to Bucks to complete the Robinson-for-Toni Kukoc trade.

Q: Kevin Garnett to the Bulls? Don't you think new GM John Paxson should set his sights a little lower? He doesn't need to show up the old regime in year one does he? -- J. Sleuth, Chicago

Jamal Crawford

Point Guard

Chicago Bulls

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

80 10.7 2.3 4.2 .413 .806

FORD: Paxson will be a major disappointment if he doesn't make a major move this summer. Garnett is the ultimate dream. Adding someone a notch or two below would work too. The Bulls have all the pieces, too many pieces actually, to turn this team into a playoff contender.

His first decision will come on draft day. No matter where the Bulls land, Paxson has to decide whether this team needs more young, raw players. He should be able to parlay the pick and one of the Bulls other young pieces (Jay Williams, Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer) into a solid veteran. If the pick ends up being LeBron, or Darko, they should be able to land an all-star. If it's Carmelo, they should seriously think about holding on to him. He's the perfect fit in their system.

Q: The Grizzlies made a big improvement this year. What does Jerry West have up his sleeve for this summer? Please tell us that this Kobe-to-the-Grizz stuff is just nonsense --M. Kupchak, Los Angeles

Stromile Swift

Forward-Center

Memphis Grizzlies

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

67 9.7 5.7 0.7 .481 .722

FORD: Unless the Grizzlies strike gold and get the No. 1 pick, they'll have to send their lottery pick to the Pistons to complete an old trade. They will, however, get a lottery pick (likely No. 13) from the Rockets this year. West once landed Kobe Bryant with the No. 13 pick in 1996. Can lightening strike twice?

Don't count on it. West will be patient. The team would like to add some size over the summer and get rid of a couple of bad contracts to free up cap space for the summer of 2004. They'll shop a combination of Lorenzen Wright and a much-improved Stromile Swift around the league this year. Surely a team like the Knicks would be willing to part with spare parts with expiring contracts to make it happen. So would a team like the Sonics, who desperately need some size in the middle.

Hold on for one more years Grizzlies fans. If West doesn't land Kobe, he'll nab someone with his cap room 2004. When he does, the Grizzlies will have finally arrived.

Q: Is Donald Sterling going to pay anyone or should they all start looking for new jobs? -- M. Olowokandi, E. Brand, A. Miller, L. Odom, C. Maggette, Los Angeles

FORD: You don't need an Insider to answer that question. A Magic Eight Ball will do just fine. It has about as much of a chance of getting into Donald Sterling's head as I do. I ran upstairs and borrowed my daughter's to answer the question. Two shakes reveals the answer.

"It is decidedly so."

Great, that clears things up.

Q: If the Heat land a top-three draft pick, land a decent free agent this summer and get a healthy Alonzo Mourning back for cheap, will they be in the playoffs next season? -- M. Arison, Miami

Alonzo Mourning

Center

Miami Heat

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

- - - - - -

FORD: That's a lot of ifs. The draft pick will come first. LeBron would be a godsend. Coach Pat Riley is trying to teach Caron Butler how to play the point this summer. If the Heat got James, they could forget about moving Butler and put LeBron in place. Ditto for Carmelo Anthony.

Second, they'll need some sort of agreement from Zo to sign on the cheap. That won't be easy. While Mourning won't make huge dollars in the free-agent market, a team like Dallas or Portland probably would be willing to throw its $4.5 mid level exception Zo's way. They can afford to gamble.

The Heat won't have any money unless they release Zo. If they do that, they'll only be able to re-sign him for the veteran's exception. If they can figure out how to get Anthony Carter out of his contract, the team is looking at $10 million and a real shot at a center like Michael Olowokandi or Brad Miller. In other words, they wouldn't need Zo. If they have more like $5 million, they aren't going to find anyone better than Zo on the market anyway.

Q: Can the Raptors lure another big-time coach to Toronto after ruining Lenny Wilkens' credibility this year? -- L. Wilkens, Toronto

FORD: Sure. I think it's a job that Jeff Van Gundy will seriously have to consider. The Raptors will have a big-time lottery pick this summer. Adding someone like LeBron, Carmelo or Darko to the puzzle will be huge.

What the team needs is health and toughness. If they get those two things back (Van Gundy can bring the toughness, the health is up to God), the Raptors are right back in the hunt in the East. I think a job like that would appeal to Van Gundy. It's one thing to rebuild from scratch. Another to come in and change the philosophy of an organization. Van Gundy can do that, reap a lot of the credit and watch the Raptors devour the competition again next year.

Q: Even if the Nuggets get LeBron, add Gilbert Arenas and Corey Maggette, keep Juwan Howard and Marcus Camby and see Nene Hilario, Nikoloz Tskitshvili and Rodney White develop, they're still years away from the playoffs, right? -- D. Issel, Denver

Juwan Howard

Power Forward

Denver Nuggets

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

77 18.4 7.6 3.0 .450 .803

FORD: No. I think they're the terror of the West if that happens. There are a lot of ifs there, but none of them is implausible. Chances are, the Nuggets will get either LeBron, Darko or Carmelo. That's step one. I think adding Arenas to the team is a slam dunk. I'm not sure about Maggette. My guess is that they'll have to choose between him or a veteran like Howard. Given how young the team is, Howard may be a better option. He really mentored the young players this year and he's willing to fit into any role you ask him.

A healthy Camby would give the Nuggets one of the better centers in the NBA. Of course, we know that's a big if. Nene looks like he's ready to bust out next year. Skita and White are still probably another year or two away.

The x-factor is coach Jeff Bzdelik. He had his team playing harder than anyone in the NBA this season. If he could get the same effort out of this group, they'd have a shot at the playoffs. More likely, they are another year away. Either way, the future is bright in Denver.

Q: Please stop picking on the Cavs. Between your digs on management, Ricky Davis, Chris Mihm, DeSagana Diop and our new uniforms, it's getting a bit old. When will you give us a break? -- J. Paxson, Cleveland

FORD: Tell you what. Figure out a way to get LeBron James in the draft, turn Darius Miles into the superstar he's supposed to be, trade Ricky Davis for a real point guard and use your free-agent dollars to land some more help for Carlos Boozer in the paint and I'll ignore the uniforms. Deal?

Did Kobe change his tune?

By Chad Ford

NBA Insider

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Monday's story about Kobe Bryant opting out of his contract in 2004 created a mass hysteria in L.A.

Everyone from the L.A. Times' T.J. Simers to our faithful Insider readers got involved. It wasn't pretty.

We start with Simers, who tracked down Kobe in Minnesota to confirm an L.A. Daily News report that claimed Bryant had said that he'd opt out in 2004 and play the free-agent market.

This was Kobe's response to Simers.

Kobe says don't bet on him leaving L.A. in 2004

"I just never said that. It bugs me when people start talking about things that aren't true and start running with them and start making all these assumptions. Everybody has got me playing some place else now."

That's a little at odds with the Daily News stories that appeared in Sunday and Monday. While the stories didn't quote Kobe as saying he'd opt out, they did quote him on his intentions to play the market at bit.

"It is what it is. I like options, man," Bryant told the Daily News. "I like learning things. I like exploring different situations. That's all, really."

Bryant explained to the Times on Monday how he was misquoted.

"A reporter asked me if I ever think about free agency, and I said, 'Yeah, I do,' but I never said I'd opt out of my contract. I'm a very detailed person on everything, and I love to learn about the salary cap and all the intricacies of business details and when the time is right I will check everything out. But L.A. is my home ? I just built a house there.

"I haven't even thought about my contract; I'm not thinking of anything but winning a fourth title. Looking down the road, I guess, if you were into gambling -- and if I were you -- I'd bet I'll be playing right here in Los Angeles."

That should clear it up, right?

Of course, Simers didn't follow up with Bryant on why he's chosen not to sign a max extension offer with the Lakers. The Lakers have had the offer on the table all season. Is he really willing to risk a career-ending injury (and thus no new contract in 2004) just to "learn more about the salary cap?"

The response from our readers was more varied. Fans from Minnesota, Memphis, Milwaukee and Atlanta all pleaded their case for Kobe to leave. Our readers in L.A. weren't as amused.

Reader Jeff King in "Realityville, Calif." had the best response of the day. "How much did the Maloofs pay you this time?"

If only it were that easy Jeff.

Kobe Rumor Mill Calls for Some Nosing Around

T.J. Simers / Los Angeles Times

Lakers: Facing the future

Howard Beck / LA Daily News

Bryant to go free in '04

Howard Beck / Los Angeles Daily News

Peep Show

Los Angeles Lakers: We know that Shaq took a private jet to South Carolina to attend the wake of his grandfather. What we don't know is when he's returning. "I'm a little bit confused," Coach Phil Jackson said in the LA Times. "I've heard two versions [i'm as] concerned as you can be, provided there's not a weather problem or anything else." Then added, "He'll be here." Here being Minneapolis, Minnesota where the Lakers play the second game of their first round series against the Timberwolves. "We know when he gets here, he'll be ready," Kobe Bryant said. "It's not like he's got to make major adjustments to his game."Said Derek Fisher: "The only unnerving part is the effect it'll have on his play in terms of the travel." He laughed and added, "Definitely, the decibel level around here isn't as high."

Davis

New Orleans Hornets: Baron Davis' left knee is only bruised, not broken. But you'd have a hard time explaining the difference to him. "It's still sore," Davis said in the Times-Picayune. "I'll take (today) off too, rest it and hopefully some of the inflammation will go down. We'll just hope for the best, but it's extremely frustrating, especially knowing that after I came back I was close to 100 percent, then got it hurt again just before the playoffs." Davis is listed as day-to-day but hopes to return for Wednesday's game against the Sixers. "As far as playing and doing some things, I feel I can contribute," Davis said. "As far as the minutes, I don't know how many minutes I can play. But I'll try to give it as much as I possibly can, five good minutes or 10 good minutes, just give it as much as I possibly can."

San Antonio Spurs: If his partially torn left medial meniscus were left up to him, David Robinson wouldn't hesitate one bit. "I want to get back out there fast," Robinson said in San Antonio Express-News. "This being a playoff situation, I would probably be inclined to play with a lot more discomfort. I don't have a choice (now), but when it comes to being my choice, there's no question I'll be out there." Robinson, in the final year of his NBA career, was forced to sit out yesterday's win over the Suns but knows that other players have gone on despite the injury. "I'm hoping I'll be ready by Friday -- and all indications are probably I will be," Robinson said. "Today it's just very disappointing. I felt very good coming into the playoffs. I thought I was going to have a great playoff run, and I still do. This is a little bit of a setback. I didn't expect this."

Portland Trail Blazers: The last thing Scottie Pippen wants is to be plagued by injury. "I don't know how I'm going to feel Wednesday, I'm hoping that I feel better," Pippen said in the Dallas Morning News. "I've got a lot of soreness from playing the other day. Thirty-two minutes is the most time I've played." But if his left knee isn't feeling too well, Portland coach Maurice Cheeks won't hesitate to go to his bench. "Day in and day out, you have to take Scottie's health as it is," Cheeks said. "If he's not able to go, we have to plug someone else in there and allow the offense and defense to go through them."

Dallas Mavericks: After forking over more than $1M in fines to the league office during his first two years as owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban has been drastically less generous this year. Not only has he not been fined at all, his only public brush with referees has been an April Fool's joke he played before fans when mock attacking a hired actor in black and white. Commissioner David Stern has been pleased to the point of joviality. "I don't think he's been extraordinarily vehement. He makes good points, fair points, and he's a fan," but added that the lack of income "was a jolt to our breakfast fund. We had budgeted for much better."

Will Shaq Be Back in Time?

Tim Brown / Los Angeles Times

Bone bruise drops Davis to day-to-day

Jimmy Smith / New Orleans Times-Picayune

Robinson optimistic he'll return soon

Johnny Ludden / San Antonio Express-News

Pippen's sore knee remains a concern

Keith Whitmire / Dallas Morning News

Cuban's Cash Flow to NBA Goes Dry

Mike Hiserman / Los Angeles Times

• Premium Member

In reply to:

In hindsight, the Glenn Robinson trade was big mistake. The Hawks actually played better without Robinson than they did with him. They'd love to trade him, and there may be a deal out there that makes sense. Don't be shocked if the Rockets entertain swapping Glen Rice for Robinson. While Rice wouldn't be an upgrade for the team, his contract expires at the end of next season, meaning the Hawks could get his contract off the books in a year.

Any thoughts on this one? It's definitely a possibility...but I personally feel that the Hawks should try and put as good a team on the court the next two years as possible. With only Nazr & Dickau signed for more than two years, there will be plenty of salary flexibility when the time comes...

I'm sure the Rice-Robinson trade would be available at the trade deadline next year anyway...

In a way, Rice and Robinson have (had) similar games. However, Rice is in the twilight of his career and has accepted his role as a bench player/starter in times of need or injury. Robinson may soon be in the same boat, though whether or not he'll go willingly is still up for grabs...Rice had the help of injuries to ease his transition.

Personally, I think that the Rockets need to trade Francis and bring in someone like Miller. Doing so is really banking on Yao, but I don't believe that Stevie has adjusted well to throwing the ball into the post and going from there - he's a JT like pg who needs the ball in his hands much of the time. There's always the hope that they could work out the picknrole, ala Utah, but I just don't think it will happen - the differences between him and Stockton's game are simply too great.

I'd do the trade, but then again I would prefer the Hawks retain JT and try to build an uptempo team. We'd still have a gaping hole at the swing position, as, like I said, I think Rice would be primarily a role player.