• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For anyone familiar with win score

Hatertots

Here's the win scores by game for some Hawks of note through the first seven preseason games.

So far, it seems that JJ's productivity has been greater than I would've guessed while Marvin has been a little less productive than I'd hoped. The Joshes and Horford look solid.

And poor, poor Shelden.

Smith- 16, 10, 6.5, 1.5, 4, 2.5, 13.5

Marvin- 6, 4.5, 6, 10.5, 5, 4.5, 10.5

Chill- 6, 12, 5.5, --, --, 12, 14.5

Horford- 5.5, 8, 10, 9, 11, 19, 10.5

JJ- 10, 13.5, 15, 0, 5.5, --, 9.5

Shelden- -1.5, 1, -1.5, 1, 3.5, --, 4.5

Acie- 2.5, -3, 5.5, --, --, -1.5, --

Zaza- -2, 1.5, 1, 5.5, 10.5, -2, --

One other note. I do not think this guy knows a lot about the Hawks or maybe even basketball in general. He mentions Marvin and Smoove being pushed out of the power forward position by Horford twice. Marvin was not our primary or secondary PF last year; how is he getting pushed out of a position he rarely played?

Secondly, he never mentions Horford possibly pushing ZaZa out of the center position; even though he used Horford as a center (better win score stat at center than Oden) in college to project what he should do in the NBA.

I like stats a lot; and this one is very interesting. Having worked with them as well, I also think there is no perfect formula. In the end they are used to give us the chance of a more informed best guess...

Quote:

So far, it seems that JJ's productivity has been greater than I would've guessed while Marvin has been a little less productive than I'd hoped. The Joshes and Horford look solid.

Smith- 16, 10, 6.5, 1.5, 4, 2.5, 13.5

Marvin- 6, 4.5, 6, 10.5, 5, 4.5, 10.5

Chill- 6, 12, 5.5, --, --, 12, 14.5

Horford- 5.5, 8, 10, 9, 11, 19, 10.5

JJ- 10, 13.5, 15, 0, 5.5, --, 9.5

Considering his scoring average, Marvin's score is a little lower than I would have thought also. But of all the players you listed, the above five are the only ones who have at least two games with a Dbl figure win score. If this was NBA Jam, these five would start and I would not play a PG.

But since this is the real deal, we have to start a PG; and one or two of these best five have to get major minutes off the bench. I really do think Horford is going to push ZaZa for minutes at the center spot; and get the rest when Marvin or Smoove need a little rest or get into foul trouble...

Factoring in minutes played, we can take a look at win score per minute to evaluate production per minute played rather than total production:

Horford- .346

Childress- .309

JJ- .289

Smith- .266

Marvin- .251

Zaza- .124

Shelden- .068

D. Howard- .376

Now Marvin looks nearly as good as the Joshes and JJ, which is what I originally expected to see based on how well he's played this preseason.

What really stood out to me is how outstanding Horford has played. On a per minute basis, he's nearly as productive as Dwight so far, much more productive than I could've dreamed on draft night.

For those of you who've never used/heard of Win Score, it's calculated using the following formula:

PTS + REB +STL +1/2BLK +1/2AST -FGA -1/2FTA -TO -1/2PF

Basically, it gives credit for every positive contribution a player makes for a team, made shots, rebounds, etc., and penalizes players for negative contributions, such as missed shots and turn overs.

His blog is overall pretty interesting. His writeup about the Hawks is worth a read, and his article about the legend of Kobe Bryant upset some of the Kobe faithful over at espn.com

Quote:

Factoring in minutes played, we can take a look at win score per minute to evaluate production per minute played rather than total production:

Horford- .346

Childress- .309

JJ- .289

Smith- .266

Marvin- .251

Zaza- .124

Shelden- .068

D. Howard- .376

Now Marvin looks nearly as good as the Joshes and JJ, which is what I originally expected to see based on how well he's played this preseason.

What really stood out to me is how outstanding Horford has played. On a per minute basis, he's nearly as productive as Dwight so far, much more productive than I could've dreamed on draft night.

For those of you who've never used/heard of Win Score, it's calculated using the following formula:

PTS + REB +STL +1/2BLK +1/2AST -FGA -1/2FTA -TO -1/2PF

Basically, it gives credit for every positive contribution a player makes for a team, made shots, rebounds, etc., and penalizes players for negative contributions, such as missed shots and turn overs.

His blog is overall pretty interesting. His writeup about the
Hawks
is worth a read, and his article about
the legend of Kobe Bryant
upset some of the Kobe faithful over at espn.com

Thanks for the info and analysis. What's considered "excellent, good, average, poor, etc." with these ratings?

Quote:

Thanks for the info and analysis. What's considered "excellent, good, average, poor, etc." with these ratings?

I went through this site pretty well last night and remember seeing somewhere that a score of .200 or above is a productive score; and players that score under that need to either improve or stay on the bench...