• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gridiron Dynasty - Rockne DIA (non-BCS)

joannes3000

Northern Illinois came calling first to try and derail our CC hopes. We took an early 7-0 lead and then had a huge INT that we returned for a TD. We went into halftime with a 21-7 lead. Getting the ball to start the 2nd half, we scored on our opening drive to take a commanding 28-7 lead and cruised from there. We ran for 150/1 and passed for 226/3/0. Our offense put up 376 yards and our defense allowed 302.

14-35 W

Our final home game of the season was against a sim Central Michigan. We took a 28-0 lead into halftime and never looked back. We ran for 460/5 and passed for 86/1/0. Our offense put up 546 yards and our defense allowed 287.

7-49 W

Our next hurdle was on the road against Western Michigan. We took an early lead, only to fall behind 10-7 late in the 2nd quarter. Amazingly, with just under 4 minutes before halftime, we scored 10 unanswered points and went into the half with a 17-10 lead. Feeling our offense getting a little stagnant, I switched our game plan a bit for the 2nd half and focused more on the run. We went on to score two unanswered TDs to seal the victory. We ran for 139/2 and passed for 336/2/1. Note: today's INT was QB James Pierce's first INT in two years. His TD/INT ratio stands at a robust 55/1! Our offense put up 475 yards and our defense allowed 292.

34-17 W

The final obstacle in our way to a CC bid was another road game, this time against Ball State. We took a commanding 17-3 lead into halftime and continued with our ball control offense in the second half for the win. We ran for 198/1 and passed for 154/1/0. Our offense put up 352 yards and our defense allowed 236.

20-10 W

---------

To: Coach joannes3000

Subject: Here comes the championship...

Sent: 12/27/07 2:58PM

Excellent job this season, Coach. Everyone has been congratulating me for the team making the conference championship game. I know Miami (OH) is a really good football team, but I have confidence in you and our team. Let`s bring a championship home to Toledo!

Good luck!

Brandon Booker

Athletic Director

Toledo

---------

Our stumble to start conference play didn't stop us on our way to a CC bid. We rattled off 7 consecutive victories after that loss and now we will have a much-anticipated rematch against Miami (OH). Like I mentioned after our loss earlier in the season, I like our chances this time around on neutral turf.

A win will hopefully propel us into the top 25 for the first time this season, and hopefully it will also lead to a level 4 bowl bid (Humanitarian, Peach, Cotton, Capital One, Gator, Outback). A loss will seriously put a damper on our season and will likely banish us to the likes of the Fort Worth or New Orleans bowls.

Rumors are flying that I will be stepping down after this season to take a BCS job and I have been doing my best Les Miles impersonation. Temple will come calling in the offseason, and there are rumors that the Ohio State job could be opening in a few seasons due to the school underperforming as of late. A 3rd consecutive CC would go a long way to qualify me for an elite school, so maybe I'll stick around and further build at Toledo rather than take a complete rebuilder at Temple. We shall see.

---------

12/28/07 at Miami (OH)

Miami (OH) got on the board first, taking the first possession of the game 70 yards for a TD. On our first possession, we respond with our own 70 yard TD drive to even up the score. Our defense comes up with a stop on the next possession and we limit Miami (OH) to a FG. We can't fully capitalize, however, as our offense fails to convert on a key 3rd down and we settle for a game-tying FG.

We start the 2nd quarter with a stop and another chance to capitalize. Our offense has other plans, however, as we don't even cross midfield before punting away. To make matters worse, given our inability to capitalize on two consecutive stops, Miami (OH) ends the quarter with a 6 minute TD drive to take a 17-10 lead into halftime.

We get the ball to start the 2nd half and roll for the game-tying TD, converting two key 3rd downs on the way. Our defense returns the favor by forcing a punt, once again giving us an opportunity to capitalize. Once again, we fail to do so and punt the ball right back. doh.gif I start getting that bad feeling in my stomach. You know, that feeling of impending disaster?

Miami (OH) starts the 4th quarter by scoring a quick TD. Naturally, we only respond because we've already been scored on. 3 plays, tied score. Miami (OH) scores another TD and we get the ball back with just under 4:30 to go and 80 yards for the game-tying TD. First play, 13 yard pass. Second play, 3 yard run. 3rd play, incomplete pass. 4th play, 18 yard pass. 5th play, 14 yard pass, lost fumble at their 32 yard line. crash.gif

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

24-31 L

----------

I'm so disenchanted with how I ended the season that I'm going to write about our bowl bid later. Ugh.

To: Coach joannes3000

Subject: Congratulations, Coach!

Sent: 12/28/07 2:49PM

I just got off the phone with the organizers of the Independence Bowl and I've accepted their invitation. Great job this year, Coach. I think the exposure we will get playing in this game will really help out the program, not to mention recruiting next season.

Keep up the good work!

Brandon Booker

Athletic Director

University of Toledo

---------

Talk about coming back down to earth. After our startling run to the Sugar Bowl last season, we're playing much more humbly in the Independence Bowl this year. I think our loss to Miami (OH) finally revealed our team's lack of depth. In a game that boiled down to execution, we failed because we weren't playing at 100%. Depth at key positions and an untimely injury (OL) cost us.

Looking ahead to our bowl game, we are in the same position as we were last season when we matched up against Minnesota. Coming from a BCS conference (and Texas), Baylor is a more talented team across the board. We'll do our best to pull an upset, and it's not like we're going to just mail it in.

--------

12/31/07 vs. #22 Baylor 9-4

I give up. I've suffered way too many close losses this season (3). We owned Baylor for 58 minutes. We were up 24-21 late in the 4th quarter, only to give up a 35 yard TD pass with just over a minute left. Our last-ditch effort fell short at midfield when we couldn't convert on 4th and 4.

Our game plan worked well. Knowing that we wouldn't be able to run effectively against Baylor, we went to a pass-oriented attack on offense. We outgained their offense 368-344, won the turnover battle 1-0, and dominated time-of-possession by holding onto the ball for over 36 minutes.

24-28 L

---------

Last season's 14-1 mark is long gone and I will undoubtedly get an email letting me know that our 9-6 campaign isn't acceptable. The disenchanting end to our season - CC loss and bowl game loss - is enough to essentially have me out the door and on my way to a BCS program. I will be leaving behind a meager amount of recruiting money from this season (28k), and Toledo will be in good shape with enough talent to contend within the conference. And while I can bide my time at Toledo and hope to pad my resume for the day that an elite opens up, I think I will be packing my bags for the Big East and the open coaching position at Temple. I still have a few more days before jobs open up, but I am about 95% sure I won't be returning for a 3rd season at Toledo.