• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things to talk and think about!

Hawksman

So far, this has been a very interesting offseason! New owner, and a possibility that MJ may join us. Here are some things to think about this offseason for our Hawks.

1) Will MJ consider being in the Hawks' front office? Will he be in our front office?

2) Who will be our coach next year? Will it be Stotts? How about Silas, Rivers, Fratello, Van Gundy, or some other coach or former coach?

3) Who will be our GM next year? Will Billy Knight stay?

4) Will David McDavid improve anything? Will he hire the right people? Will he be a good owner?

5) Which of our 8 free agents will we sign?

6) Will we make a trade? Is Big Dog gone?

7) Who will we draft? European or college? Will we somehow get the 1-3 pick?

8) Last but not least....How will we do next year?

We will just have to wait and find out about these things but I think it would be fun to try to think how the team and front office will be next year. Will it be different? Well, we have to wait for that too.

• Premium Member

A great player.... YES.

Management material?

No.

I think Jordan is probably not the right person for GMing the Hawks. He hand picked Kwame Brown. HE rehired Unseld. He went through 2 lame coaches before going with Collins. His track record suggests to me that he's not the one. He would be notable, but I don't think he would help us win.

I think we should stay with Knight unless someone with true savvy and an eye for talent and a PLAN comes along. You may disagree with me but Kenny "the Jet" Smith would make a better GM than MJ. Moreover, I think once Isiah is fired from Indy... He'd make a really good GM also.

MJ as a GM? NO......but give him some capacity with the team, maybe assistant GM or something like that and I would love to have him. Reason being is that he alone would draw attention to the Hawks and would gain us much attention league wide and with the media. Surely fans would come out to see a team that ESPN would likely talk about every night. If it took him being the GM to get him here, I would probably do it. Regardless of what the Wizards players say, MJ is still a VERY well respected man around the league and would no doubt be able to draw interest from FAs to come play for us. How funny would it be if we got MJ and then traded Dog for Stackhouse after Stacks comments about not needing MJ and that they would be better off. Of course I would love that trade anyway, but it would be even sweeter if MJ pulled it off. Maybe he and Nique could split the GM duties, boy would that draw attention to the Hawks wouldnt it?

Additionally, MJ's track record as a GM in Washington is, imo, very good. While he didn't "build a contender," he did what others claimed was impossible, trading Strickland and Howard, clearing cap space, and making free agency a viable option again...

he did, more or less, exactly what Kiki has done in Denver...something that Kiki's been lauded for, even garnering some talk as a possible GM of the Year candidate (though Jordan's coaching selections may not have been comparable...but Kiki's only hired one coach and, though the team over-achieved, the verdict is not yet in).

• Premium Member

Well, I applauded MJ for making Space... Losing Strickland, Howard, and Richmond. BUT... He kept the man who gave them those huge Contracts. Also, With Power and SAY, MJ basically hand picked the squad they have now. Stackhouse, Brown, Hughes, Russell, Laettner. All these guys are underachievers. That's what he did with his SPACE. ON top of all that, Stackhouse for Rip? Are people in Detroit happy about that or what?

The Stackhouse for Rip...we'll see on that one, depends on what Detroit resigns(?) Rip for. I seriously doubt that Stack is going ot opt out of his contract, esp. in this environment, his year, possible earning's etc...therefore the Wiz retain a borderline superstar (much like Reef) for a VERY resonable price (if I'm not mistaken).

How much is Rip going to want up in Detroit...?

• Premium Member

The rumblings and vibrations out of DC is that if MJ is retained, Stackhouse is gone by hook or crook. I think they would trade Stack if they can get the right package in return.

That said, if Stack opted out of his contract (can he do that?), I would entertain giving up Reef/1st for Stack (SNT)/Brown.

Mainly because Brown is the right sized PF with the right Physical nature to play beside Theo and Stack is a leader and showed it with Detroit.

well, Jordan's officially out now.

Stack's anticipated free agency this summer is contingent on his opting out of his contract (he has a clause). With the market and otehr FAs available, he's not going to do it.

Therefore, they can trade him or retain him. The Wiz are now in need of a GM (Unseld on leave after draft), coach (Collins' contract expired right?), and President...sticky situation for them.