Parker in San Antonio...and the prospect of Kidd..

I understand the basic logic of wanting to combine a top notch pg like Kidd with a top notch pf like Duncan...however, if you look at their games, how they've succeeded, etc...Kidd and Duncan just doesn't appear to be a good match.

Kidd likes to play uptempo and is surrounded by fantastic fast break finishers (Jeffereson and Martin) and a nice kick out option for the drive and dish in Kittles and/or Harris.

Kidd would ahve to totally change his game away from anything that's it been in the L if he were to be paired with Duncan. Add that to further limiting San Antonio's cap space with two max players, Bowen's contract etc. They're going to have to sign a Center (Rose is not a full time answer), so more cap space will be needed in the immediate future.

Duncan's not a finished on the break. Bowen's not either. Manu is a decent to slightly above average finisher.

Additionally, probably due in large part to Parker's age and status on the totem pole, he has no problem defering to Duncan if the initial drive doesn't work. He's ok with running the halfcourt offense through Duncan...I'm not sure if Kidd would be or, if so, that the combination would work as well.

While not exciting, the Spurs appear to have finally learned how to manage the one aspect that they've lacked in recent years - consistency, pecking order, and, most of all, mental toughness...

Trading for Kidd would require ignoring quite a few of those developments...

• Premium Member

do you pass on Jason Kidd when you've been planning for this offseason for 5 years? It's a tough call. Personally, I think they should try to lure Jermaine O'Neal to San Antonio or Brad Miller + a decent wingman...

BTW, Duncan is on the record saying he likes playing with Parker...

Option #3 would be to wait another year and try to go after Garnett or McGrady...Could you imagine that team?

Garnett would work fantastically with him playing the 3 or 4 (probably four, considering Bowen and his deal). Oneal would be perfect too (again, probably at the 4)...as might Brad Miller.

that's what they should search for, another inside presence to replace Robinson adn make Rose a bu 4/5 man similar to what Pollard is for SacTown..

It's better for them to wait if they can't get one of those guys than to go sign Kidd to a longterm deal and effectively end any cap manuverability on something that, personally, I don't think would work as well as it would appear on paper...sorta like this Hawks' team, though the degree of ill-chemistry would more than likely be different. It's not like if they don't get Kidd and lose Robinson they'll be significantly worse than they are right now, or by any means a "bad" team, or even struggle to make the playoffs. They have a good core group as is..one that possesses youth and should only improve with continued pt and pt together...

• Premium Member

I agree.. Kidd is not really the answer. Especially when Parker plays so well. Better would be to go after a frontcourt mate. ONeal would be great. [censored], even a trade for Theo couldn't hurt.