• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove Playing For A Contract!

Gambit99

SO!

Some of you guys have been in this world longer than I, but someone working harder when there is a reward on the line is not unheard of nor is it something you shouldn't do.

I've ran enough sales dept. and done enough management training to know that if you don't inspire your most talented with the prospect of financial reward you don't get the results you crave.

I know, this year great, next year so-so.

SO!

You deal with that as it comes up...right now you can only deal with what's in front of you. Smith should be playing for a contract, because that's exactly what the situation is for him. I worked like crazy to open my gym in Alpharetta with the promise that if I do well then other investors will give me the money to open a 78,000sf facility in Lithonia and if that goes well I get 16 more gyms. Am I wrong to work harder for the opportunity to become very wealthy?

To end I say what would you do? It's business!

The difference is that Smith does not work for Smith... he works for the Hawks. So to the extent that his play hurts the team, that is bad. If you're a sales guy who is selling the product below margin for the purpose of selling units, then you are hurting the firm. If you alienate your business partners so that they no longer help the joint venture stay profitable or continue to grow, then that is being a bad partner and businessman.

And if you think the November Smith was playing with the same team approach as the December version, then you are simply wrong. This version can earn a close to max deal (assuming the team beats the good teams and not just the sisters of the poor they beat last week). That previous version that was chucking up 3s and making more turnovers that Sarah Lee... well, that's another story.

Oh yeah and avoiding flipping the finger to fans, cursing out the coach and yelling at teammates on the floor would also be a good thing to consider when playing for a contract.

There's a difference between saying that a contract is one of the motivating factors in a player working hard to improve and saying that he is playing for a contract. Playing for a contract implies the impression that THAT is his main focus and incentive for working hard to improve. It's all about money.

However I tend to disagree with that statement about Josh Smith. I do feel that he, like every other athlete who realizes the businesss side of professional sports, understands the financial ramifications of how he plays. He would prefer to make more money than less money. However I do not think this is his main focus. I think he wants to get the Hawks back to the playoffs and he wants to make a name for himself in the NBA. Remember he is a Hawks fan, he went to school there, he's playing for his home team and HE WAS CALLED OUT BY JAY BILAS ON NATIONAL TV WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED (let us never forget that crucial element) .Not to mention the close ties he has with his family here who keep him grounded.

I don't see him playing selfish which I think is the telltale sign of playing for a contract. He passes the ball, even out of making a move to the basket (something zaza cannot do). His shot selection has gotten better. He's shows great emotion on the court.

Josh Smith wants to get paid sure, but he's not playing for a contract.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The difference is that Smith does not work for Smith... he works for the Hawks.

That's some BS Joe.

Smith is always working for Smith. In the land of FAcy, the player is always an employee of the player first. The player has to make himself Marketable. If that's by being a team player, so be it. If that's by being an allstar, so be it... however it is, the player comes first then the team... because players get traded every day!