• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Petition to Retire Smitty's Jersey....

bumpyphish1

Quote:

Definitely a Damn good Hawk.

Best player/scorer on the last consistent-winner Hawks team.

Patented the fake reverse dribble-and-go.

Now, a loyal Hawks Broadcaster.

...abd a great guy to boot (donated $1 million to alma mater Mich. State).

HANG THIS DUDE'S JERSEY!

You must be Mad. Retiring jerseys are for HOF'ers. viking.gif

I loved Smitty, but what Deke did on defense far exceeded what Smitty did as a whole. Deke was DPOY for us. He's a top 10 greatest defender ever. Mookie also contributed more on defense and at least as much on offense. They are more deserving of the three, imo. However, none of them actually deserve the honor.

I think Smitty was a great hawk that should be honored, I don't think he was good enough to retire his number though. Can you hang the jersey without retiring the number?

I saw San Antonio is retiring Avery Johnson's jersey, which is insane to me. For years people said the sole reason they could never win a title was because he was at PG. I know he eventually played a big part in them getting a title and he is a fan favorite, but I don't know that his # should be retired. I'd say Smitty is in the same boat.

I do know one thing, the Hawks and Thrashers will never truly succeed as long as there is a Widespread Panic banner hanging from the rafters. That just ain't right.

Quote:

I do know one thing, the Hawks and Thrashers will never truly succeed as long as there is a Widespread Panic banner hanging from the rafters. That just ain't right.

WTF? Where is it at? You have totally enraged me now, Lascar. I effing hate dirty meth'd out hippies with an Eric Cartman like fervor!

Quote:

Quote:

WTF? Where is it at? You have totally enraged me now, Lascar. I effing hate dirty meth'd out hippies with an Eric Cartman like fervor!

first of all you need to relax there bub and secondly you need to grow up. Lots of my friends like Widespread Panic (i don't however), I have long hair (i'm a guy) and go to rock concerts (as well as other types of music) and you know what, i smoke weed on occasions. my friends and I all have good/great jobs (some probably make more than you and work harder than you), married with families (married myself) have degrees (including me) have houses (i have 6 acres with horses, cows, etc...) and are good people who offer more to this country than many so-called nonhippies (i don't categorize myself as a "hippie" but if you saw me, you'd call me that and again many of my friends listen to widespread panic). so when you learn to get that 3rd grade mentality out of your head about who and what people are and do, then get back to me and we can have an adult conversation. i should have known from the last time i put you on ignore.

and yes, the widespread panic banner needs to removed. there is no reason for it to be there.

as far as the thread is concerned, i love smitty but he's not banner material..he was great for us, but only hofers or bordlerline hofers should get banners...word.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

first of all you need to relax there bub and secondly you need to grow up. Lots of my friends like Widespread Panic (i don't however), I have long hair (i'm a guy) and go to rock concerts (as well as other types of music) and you know what, i smoke weed on occasions. my friends and I all have good/great jobs (some probably make more than you and work harder than you), married with families (married myself) have degrees (including me) have houses (i have 6 acres with horses, cows, etc...) and are good people who offer more to this country than many so-called nonhippies (i don't categorize myself as a "hippie" but if you saw me, you'd call me that and again many of my friends listen to widespread panic). so when you learn to get that 3rd grade mentality out of your head about who and what people are and do, then get back to me and we can have an adult conversation. i should have known from the last time i put you on ignore.

and yes, the widespread panic banner needs to removed. there is no reason for it to be there.

as far as the thread is concerned, i love smitty but he's not banner material..he was great for us, but only hofers or bordlerline hofers should get banners...word.

Quote:

first of all you need to relax there bub and secondly you need to grow up.

Where do you get off telling me I need to grow up? You don't know me and I never interact with you on this board. This is not about weed. Guess what, dirty hippies don't have the market cornered there. I myself am what some people would consider a hippie. That's why I can't stand Grateful Dead, Phish, Widespread, etc fans. I'm nothing like them. I don't want to hear about your 1 out of 10. I want to talk about the 9 out of 10 hippies that will lie and steal so they can not work and follow the band. Look, I was just joking, but if you want to get into how that music is in no way psychedelic and for losers that can't maintain focus long enough to respect an actual "song",then we can some other time. Funny thing is, I respect Widespread Panic. They are a much better band than the other two I have mentioned. However, they are still a one trick pony and bore me tremendously. But that's beside the point, I was talking about their "fans", most of which consist of college kids who just want to get high and possibly laid and have no real moral compass. WTF are you trying to tell me, that there are no dirty hippies that steal? Please. No, what you're really trying to do is insult me, which you have. Or maybe you just have no understanding about the difference between a hippie from the sixties and a hippie of today. Either way I don't care.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where do you get off telling me I need to grow up? You don't know me and I never interact with you on this board. This is not about weed. Guess what, dirty hippies don't have the market cornered there. I myself am what some people would consider a hippie. That's why I can't stand Grateful Dead, Phish, Widespread, etc fans. I'm nothing like them. I don't want to hear about your 1 out of 10. I want to talk about the 9 out of 10 hippies that will lie and steal so they can not work and follow the band. Look, I was just joking, but if you want to get into how that music is in no way psychedelic and for losers that can't maintain focus long enough to respect an actual "song",then we can some other time. Funny thing is, I respect Widespread Panic. They are a much better band than the other two I have mentioned. However, they are still a one trick pony and bore me tremendously. But that's beside the point, I was talking about their "fans", most of which consist of college kids who just want to get high and possibly laid and have no real moral compass. WTF are you trying to tell me, that there are no dirty hippies that steal? Please. No, what you're really trying to do is insult me, which you have. Or maybe you just have no understanding about the difference between a hippie from the sixties and a hippie of today. Either way I don't care.

munching_out.gif

You must be Mad. Retiring jerseys are for HOF'ers. viking.gif

It's not just for hof'ers.

The Spurs are retiring Avery Johnson's...

But Smitty was only a Hawk for 5 years, and he didn't do enough to get his jersey retired.

JJ has put up better numbers than SS as a Hawk.

And noone would retire his jersey after 2 more years either

JJ

22.4-ppg 4.1-rebs 5.4-ast 44.7-fg% 35.6-3pfg%

Steve Smith

18.6-ppg 3.8-rebs 3.5-ast 42.6-fg% 33.6-3pfg%

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

so the clarification in "I effing hate dirty meth'd out hippies with an Eric Cartman like fervor" should have been apparent? the subject was widespread panic. you are targeting their fans in that sentence..you are using dirty and meth'd out as adjectives not as clarifiers. i agree that there are some of those that i do not like (asking for free tickets to shows- buy your own damn ticket) but i find it less due to the fact that they are of a hippie lifestyle and more of because of their age. they grow up and get jobs just like everyone else, albeit at a slower pace.

i apologize if that ws not your intent but your phrasing sure didnt lend to that fact. i have to deal with "haters" fairly often and i get tired with that ignorant [censored].

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have to say that you're both way overboard here, especially Troy.

Stereotyping entire fanbases of bands with literally millions of fans is a gross example of over-generalizing.

If you don't like the music just ignore it. If you don't like the scene ignore that too. If you dislike the banner complain all you want, make a phone call, write a letter. I have no problem with getting rid of their banner and can see why peple dislike it, but I'm also not sure how it hurts anyone - their annual shows are the closest the building has ever had to an exciting playoff atmosphere, sadly enough, and they're probably the most profitable events the building has each year.

But please stop insulting an entire group of people that emcompasses far more numbers than just old hippies, young hippies, criminals and college kids. Each band has their issues and every fanbase (music or otherwise) has members that embarass the whole, but the venom expressed here is ridiculous. If you can't at least have a little respect for the contributions those bands have made to music over the last 40 years then you're pretty close minded, bitter or maybe just jealous of someone or something.

Quote:

I have to say that you're both way overboard here, especially Troy.

Stereotyping entire fanbases of bands with literally millions of fans is a gross example of over-generalizing.

Sure. The flip of that coin is that you are not acknowledging the obvious. Do any of you have family members who use meth and listen to Widespread non stop?

Also, you can generalize a little more here. Virtually every Dead Head that I've ever known turned to Phish and Widespread Panic. Their fan bases is one and the same. It's kind of about the drugs and the lifestyle, for a vast number of fans. Obviously not all of them.

Do you guys realize that I was just joking. I'm probably the biggest "hippie" here. I even like a Widespread song or two. I actually have a record collection... and I'm not a DJ. There is a reason though, why millions of people think it's funny that they run over hippies in South Park episode.

Sheed, tell me how I went over the top before I was personally insulted? I don't think stating facts is over the top. Sure, I didn't qualify that most don't steal, etc; but you didn't qualify that many do. To not acknowledge that is just not honest. To not speak to the culture surrounding that style of music is not honest. Tell me, how many of you have been robbed by a guy with a Grateful Dead tattoo?

Either way, it's no big deal. I wish a very Happy Holiday season to you guys and your families. And Go Hawks! This is the best x-mas present we could have asked for.