• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let the 24 hours of sulking begin

TheNorthCydeRises

its not sulking...

its called being a hawks fan...

what i dont understand is why woody got away from what helped us get that lead in the 4th quarter...

instead of passing the ball around and sharing it and running...

we ended up just depending on joe...joejoejoejoejoe...

and obviously he's off...so why run joejoejoe...dribble a long time...

we should just continue to do the same things that made us successful thru 3 quarters...

its retarded...

joejoejoejoejoe...god stupid woodson...what the poop are you doing...

what a meltdown...

Quote:

its not sulking...

its called being a hawks fan...

what i dont understand is why woody got away from what helped us get that lead in the 4th quarter...

instead of passing the ball around and sharing it and running...

we ended up just depending on joe...joejoejoejoejoe...

and obviously he's off...so why run joejoejoe...dribble a long time...

we should just continue to do the same things that made us successful thru 3 quarters...

its retarded...

joejoejoejoejoe...god stupid woodson...what the poop are you doing...

what a meltdown...

Oken, I know people don't believe me when I say this, but other teams do the exact same thing that Woody does in that situation. This isn't something that Woody does out of the blue. Almost all NBA coaches would've played this exactly the way he did it.

Either they have one guy isolated, holding the ball to run the shot clock down to eventually take a forced shot, or they do that with the PG, and run pick and roll with about 10 seconds left on the clock.

Think of this as an NFL team with a touchdown lead, with 3 minutes to go. They will almost NEVER pass the ball in that situation. A bad pass means that the clock stops. So they'd rather run the ball, and run time off the clock, than actually be in attack mode to get first downs.

In the NBA, a team with a good creating guard or forward, will put it in his hands and let him work ( Arenas, Baron Davis, Kobe, Lebron, etc ).

- A team with a good PG and good low post player will run pick and roll. ( Deron and Boozer, Nash and Amare, Parker and Duncan, etc )

- A team with a good low post option, will get the ball to him in the post and either let him work or pass to the open man. ( Duncan, Melo, Garnett )

- A team with a shooter, usually runs multiple screens to try to free their shooter, without much ball movement

If a team has a lead late in the game, they're more worried about running the shot clock down, and taking a shot at the end of the clock, than running a motion offense to get a good shot. Almost every team in the league, that has a lead, will do this.

In the situation vs Portland, we were trying to protect the lead by running clock, and putting the ball in our best offensive player's hands. Usually, JJ is good enough to at least convert on one of those possessions by making the shot, or making the pass to someone for the open jumper. Today just wasn't his day. Maybe it was the leg injury. He made those plays against Roy on Monday fairly easily.

One of the fatal flaws of JJ though, is his inability, or unwillingness to take the ball all the way to the hole to get to the line. Maybe because he isn't going to get the call anyway. But normally, it's because he'd rather shoot the jumper, than get fouled going to the hole. But on Monday, he made all of those plays vs Portland.

The only flaw with your logic is that Joe Johnson is simply not on the level of any of those players that you mentioned. He's a very good complimentary player (his role in Phoenix), but he is not a go-to player. Because the Hawks are paying him 12 million, the expectation is there that he is supposed to earn those dollars. However, if you don't have what it takes you just don't have what it takes. At the very least, Woodson could have kicked the ball out to either Josh Smith or Marvin Williams and had them kick it out for an open look, or dunk it or get fouled. J.J. running around on the perimeter those last two plays was stupid. Did Woodson really believe the outcome would be different on the last play than the one that came before it? Fans should not sulk. After all, it is just basketball and these players are getting millions. However, if you are a fan and paying a 100 bucks for a couple of tickets, beer or whatever else.... you do deserve to see the product put forth its best effort. Down the stretch tonight, that just did not happen.

It's amazing how short of memories the Squawk has. Nobody remembers the shot in the T-Wolves game . . nor the passes he's made to Smoove where he's hit game winners in the past few seasons . . nor the shot in the Detroit game when he shook Billups last year for a game winner . . nor the pass he makes to Marvin on opening night for the lay-up, that sealed that game . . nor the other shots with under a minute that have sealed games for us.

To 70% of the Squawk, JJ is just another mediocre player on a mediocre team. Might as well not ever give the ball to him down the stretch of games ever again. Ish, let AJ take all the big shots from now on.

Quote:

Go ahead and sulk, and get it out of your system by Tuesday.

...Hawk fan. Seriously, no franchise has had more to sulk about. Ownership, BK the worst lotto drafter in history, Woody. It's appauling.

W

...for being upset and/or passionate about this team is beyond annoying.

We get it - you're even-keeled. Drop your typical, mocking "LOL" if God forbid we sulk for a minute about blowing a game that could've been won with some competent coaching.

As far as I'm concerned, though, we have every right to experience and articulate the full range of emotions. The fact that we show any emotion with this moribund franchise is something that should be embraced, not mocked.

Step off your high horse.

Quote:

We get it - you're even-keeled. Drop your typical, mocking "LOL" if God forbid we sulk for a minute about blowing a game that could've been won with some competent coaching.

As far as I'm concerned, though, we have every right to experience and articulate the full range of emotions. The fact that we show any emotion with this moribund franchise is something that should be embraced, not mocked.

are you going to hold Walter to the same standard?

No high horse or arrogance here baller. I just get tired of the fan base villifying players, if they don't play at the highest possible level every night. Hell, Portland dang near played perfect basketball in that final 15 minutes of that game.

It's almost like after we lose, people will clown our OWN players, just to make themselves feel better or some ish. It's one thing to do it when a player constantly messes up. But this fan base does it on a daily basis, to every single player on the team.

- Marvin hs been the whipping boy for 2+ years now, because he's not a star, like the PGs taken ahead of him.

- Smoove gets constantly attacked for his shortcomings, rather than the things he brings to the table to help this team.

- Chill, when he plays well, never seems to receive any credit from the fan base, unless it's an attempt to villify Marvin.

- And now JJ is the whipping boy, everytime he doesn't play like Jordan.

If my "arrogance" irritates you, I'm sorry. But that ish irritates the hell out of me. If the fan base wants to whine and cry, then whine and cry. But don't turn on the players that you root for on a nightly basis, just to mke yourselves feel better. You may not do it personally, but a good number of people on the Squawk do just that every single damn day.

Quote:

are you going to hold Walter to the same standard?

...but the best part is the notion that you would want me held to the same standard (fairness) when you dish it out rather inequitably and it seems all you can do is crack under the pressure that is Walter.

No one's ever complained of me being too even-keeled before, however. Or at least that I should be held to the same standard of even-keel-ness that you would want for me, GSUteke. I show emotion for my Hawks. So sue me.

munching_out.gif

W

Quote:

It's only been 9 years since we whiffed the playoffs and this year looks like its toast again. Yeah, the fans here are really overreacting. Being the butt of national jokes for years, owners in court, blown picks, horrible head coach, etc.

LOL, yeah were all spoiled brats.

Quote:

It's only been 9 years since we whiffed the playoffs and this year looks like its toast again. Yeah, the fans here are really overreacting. Being the butt of national jokes for years, owners in court, blown picks, horrible head coach, etc.

LOL, yeah were all spoiled brats.

...like they should have we wouldn't find ourselves with the same coach, the same GM, and perhaps even the same ownership. Just a thought.

I think if more fans weren't so "understanding" we'd be a hell-of-a-lot better off.

W

Quote:

I think if more fans weren't so "understanding" we'd be a hell-of-a-lot better off.

W

I'm pretty certain that there's not a dang thing I could possibly do as a fan to affect some kind of change within this franchise, but if there were somthing I could be doing, I would be the first to get up and go do it.

It's so bad that Woodson and BK aren't even discussed much as being on the hotseat. I mean, that's nearly an impossible task, but because our ownership is so far beyond screwed up it seems normal to us now.

I don't have any hope at all for a managerial or coaching change until the ownership is finalized 100%. Until that happens we're barely treading water.