• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams has turned the corner...

Diesel

Quote:

Quote:

You are 100% correct Walt.

I will not call BK on picking Shelden over Roy for these reasons.

1. Roy Snubbed us twice for a workout.

I wouldn't want a repeat of Steve Francis being picked by Vancouver.. Remember that?

2. Roy has an injury History.

3. Roy duplicates what we already had in JJ. Neither can play PG effectively.

Roy would be the best pick BK has ever made for the Hawks. Forgot that one. Please. Roy is more Pg than anyone we've got and while he is also a 2-guard, alongside JJ we would have (say it with me now) THE BEST BACKCOURT IN BASKETBALL! UN-stoppable! Maybe I missed it but SW has an injury history and before his shoulder injury wasn't worth a d@mn either. Hmm.

Diesel, Roy won the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR and SW won the BUST OF THE DECADE awards respectively. Please get your head out of your ass.

W

W

He can't remove his head from his ass. It was surgically attached.

Quote:

It's a fallacy that we didn't work out Shelden.

It was stated clearly that Shelden worked out for us and a few other teams in Ok City... Alongside two other bigs.

Moreover, it has been said also that Shelden's agent arranged for us to take a look at Shelden privately when LSU played Duke in the tourney that year (IN Atlanta).

I missed those "clearly stated" articles about the OK City workout. I recall a very specific quote from Shelden where he said that he did not work out for the Hawks. Maybe it was an open workout for multiple teams in OK City. Likewise, the alleged workout arranged in Atlanta by his agent would be a clear NCAA violation. A player in the tourney with an agent? Even if he was a senior, that's a big no-no. Maybe that explains why Shelden was fibbing.

Still, I find it strange that BK deviated from the standard that was set with Childress, Smith & Marvin and repeated with Horford & Law.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't want a repeat of Steve Francis being picked by Vancouver.. Remember that?

3. Roy duplicates what we already had in JJ. Neither can play PG effectively.

Roy would be the best pick BK has ever made for the Hawks. Forgot that one. Please. Roy is more Pg than anyone we've got and while he is also a 2-guard, alongside JJ we would have (say it with me now) THE BEST BACKCOURT IN BASKETBALL! UN-stoppable! Maybe I missed it but SW has an injury history and before his shoulder injury wasn't worth a d@mn either. Hmm.

Diesel, Roy won the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR and SW won the BUST OF THE DECADE awards respectively. Please get your head out of your ass.

W

W

Roy is great. But like I said before. There were good reasons why we didn't take him. Mainly, he didn't want to be here.

Now Walt.. What if this great player decided he would just sit out there year once we drafted him.

How stupid would BK have looked??

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's a fallacy that we didn't work out Shelden.

It was stated clearly that Shelden worked out for us and a few other teams in Ok City... Alongside two other bigs.

Moreover, it has been said also that Shelden's agent arranged for us to take a look at Shelden privately when LSU played Duke in the tourney that year (IN Atlanta).

I missed those "clearly stated" articles about the OK City workout. I recall a very specific quote from Shelden where he said that he did not work out for the Hawks. Maybe it was an open workout for multiple teams in OK City. Likewise, the alleged workout arranged in Atlanta by his agent would be a clear NCAA violation. A player in the tourney with an agent? Even if he was a senior, that's a big no-no. Maybe that explains why Shelden was fibbing.

Still, I find it strange that BK deviated from the standard that was set with Childress, Smith & Marvin and repeated with Horford & Law.

Well, I know I read that BK was present when Oklahoma City Hornets worked out Shelden. It was suggested that they might take him because the owner at the time was considering a move to Oklahoma...and Shelden would be hometown and a good BU for West.

The other thing is that it was rumored that we worked out Shelden when Duke played LSU in the Ga Dome. I have no proof of this.. it was just a rumor that happened at the time when Duke played LSU...

Quote:

Well, I know I read that BK was present when Oklahoma City Hornets worked out Shelden. It was suggested that they might take him because the owner at the time was considering a move to Oklahoma...and Shelden would be hometown and a good BU for West.

The other thing is that it was rumored that we worked out Shelden when Duke played LSU in the Ga Dome. I have no proof of this.. it was just a rumor that happened at the time when Duke played LSU...

Diesel, you'd believe any rumor if your [censored] floated on it. BK never worked out Shelden. Period. The promise made was boneheaded regardless. You just can't get over calling SW the next Karl Malone.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Diesel, you'd believe any rumor if your [censored] floated on it. BK never worked out Shelden. Period. The promise made was boneheaded regardless. You just can't get over calling SW the next Karl Malone.

W

The promise was made after Orlando's predraft camp. BK shut his draft down after that and never brought Shelden in...

The only guys of note he worked out were Rondo, Marcus Williams, and Foye.

If he would have taken the time to actually conduct a draft like any professional GM would have, he might have discovered he sucked. Like 75% of this site and the crowd at Philips who booed his ass off.

BK is just a dumbass but the ASG keep paying him for his detrimental services.

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't know that Roy snubbed us for a workout. But here's the only issue I have with your post (and BK's ultimate decision to draft Shelden), he didn't workout Shelden either. I was on record that we should have drafted Shelden (while posting on AJC's blog). But that was with the belief that we would work him out and ensure that he was an truly NBA-ready player. His lack of lateral quickness should have been exposed prior to the pre-summer league camp.

I have long held the belief that BK drafted Shelden (without working him out) to "scratch the back" of Arn Tellum who delivered JJ to the Hawks. BK has discussed previously how important it is to workout guys, review their medical files, interview them, etc. The fact that he didn't personally test the athleticism of a #5 pick astounds me. I'm not into revisionist history, I still can't say that I would have drafted a SG after having about 30 wing players on the squad (even if he did become the ROY). But how do you use the #5 pick without first kicking the tires?

With that said, I recall what Shelden did last season against the Pistons in the first month of his rookie season. And I think that he and Law are 2 guys who have lost all confidence because of Woody's coaching style (or lack thereof). The reason we are getting virtually zero production from those two 4-year college players who excelled in big games in big-time conferences is completely due to our piss-poor head coach.

ouch.... you know what, truth hurts. specially the coaching part. damn.....

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

W

Wow.. Such an angry little man you are.

Anyway. I know what I have read. I think it's posted back then...

Moreover, BK didn't workout Diaw either. Neither did he work out Pau Gasol either.

However, I'm sure I read that he was present at the Hornets workout of Shelden. That was not rumor.