• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stat compare Bibby to our present elder Pgs.

Guest Walter

I agree with you that I'm not all that excited about Bibby. His contract is ridiculous for his skill level these days. It could very well keep us from re-signing JS especially if Philly comes in with a max offer. Do you think the ASG will pony up the dough? I sure don't.

I will love this deal if we can get out of Speedy's contract. IMO, you can take the 6 million Speedy makes this year off of Bibby's contract. That puts Bibby at 7.5 which is closer to what he should be at. It will also allow us some room to re-sign JS and maybe JC too. I just hope we do not give up our future for a rental.

Bibby to ATL does have some positives...

**Bibby has shown that he can lead an up-tempo attack which I think we all agree this team is built to do.

**Bibby is a vet. Woody loves vets. The only rookie that has ever got significant minutes under Woody is Horford and thats out of necessity. I think he'd yank out Horford with every mistake he makes if he had someone to replace him with. I can't stand that about Woody.

**Bibby gives us another offensive option that we desperately need.

**He's shown that he will take and make the big shot. Maybe now we can quit running iso plays for JJ at the end of games and losing.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I agree with you that I'm not all that excited about Bibby. His contract is ridiculous for his skill level these days. It could very well keep us from re-signing JS especially if Philly comes in with a max offer. Do you think the ASG will pony up the dough? I sure don't.

Do you really think the ownership would agree to a deal if it meant their most marketable player would go elsewhere? Of course not.

If this trade goes through, it answers A LOT of questions, the most important being that the AS are willing to spend money to put a competitive team on the floor.

Essentially, it justifies all the efforts we've put into fandom the past few years.

I agree that if they do this deal, they clearly must have agreed that they will pay up to the max for Smith if that's what it takes to keep him.

The big question with Bibby is where his body and game are. If his current level of production in Sacramento is what we're gonna get, he's not worth it. If he's getting healthier and a change of scenery revives him, he'll make all the difference.

Yeah but I thought the same thing about Speedy. He's been injury prone, but even if he's not there the whole time, he's miles ahead of Lue / AJ so let's gamble. Meanwhile we've got 6 million for a suit on the sidelines. Bibby's 14 mil per season.

Meanwhile he averages 13/5 on 40%. AJ averages 6/5 on 42%. My point is 13/5 is not good enough for 14 million per season. You don't pay 14 mil per season to get only very slightly better.

If we're gonna pay that money, we need somewhat of a return to form, which I expect we'd get.

I think that the best part of getting Bibby would be relieving pressure off of other guys. If they keep doubling JJ, Bibby has to be able to make them pay. I think that Horford and possibly Smith would benefit the most. I think that even if Woody can't figure out that it should happen, Bibby-Horford high pick-and rolls would inevitably start happening and you'd see Horford's scoring go up. Of course this should easily be happening now with JJ-AJ-Lue and Horford, but it's not.

There's no doubt that we'd get better. But the question is, is it worth anywhere near 14 mil? Only if he picks his game back up some.

Quote:

Why don't you look at his game log for the last month and his assist totals, and then realize we're trading our sh!tty PG's and getting Acie more PT.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mike_bibby/g...game_stats.html

Statistics aren't everything as his best games have come against lower echelon teams. And he has a horrible +/- against good and bad teams. He's still a scoring PG as Artest is the facilitator for the Kings. So don't expect him to come in and run the offense. Udrih is actually better at that.

I'm only saying this as I've seen the Kings live several times and he's not looked that impressive to me even when scoring..but who am I to rain on the parade.

Quote:

Lascar and others, you have to stop using FG%. It's a worthless stat for guards.

Bibby takes 4 three's a game. His eFG% is closer to 47%.

Not great, but I'm sure a lot of that has to do with his 'rustiness.'

You can look at his stats across the board, there's a clear pattern. He's only worth getting if you think you can reverse that trend.

bibbyvb7.jpg

• Premium Member

Quote:

You have more faith in our owners than I do. I hope your right. I don't think I could stomach watching JS walk and we get nothing but memories.

They're business men. They understand that Smith needs to be re-signed.

It's not about faith, it's about business.

Lue and AJ are borderline irrelevant. We know Bibby will be better. The question is, is Bibby worth 14 mil per year, or can we find a better way to spend our money. Because if we get Bibby, then that's it, we won't be getting anyone else until we're willing to trade core players away.

• Premium Member

Quote:

or can we find a better way to spend our money.

The Hawks would only have the MLE next year if they pass on the Bibby trade. (He's really the best option as far as the trade deadline goes).

Who would be available for the MLE that's better than Bibby?

Thats just it...

I'm not sure our owners are willing to step up to that kind of deal. We'll have Bibby & JJ on the books next year. I'm not so certain that they'd make the business risk to put up that kind of money. That will be the most they've spent since they took over ownership. We shall see, but lets be honest here, our owners do not have the best track record when it comes to making wise basketball business decisions.