ESPN graded our draft A-

Playoffs03

Atlanta Hawks

Round 1: Boris Diaw, SG, France (No. 21)

Round 2: Travis Hansen, G, BYU (No. 37)

This was the best draft the Hawks have had in some time. They got the guy who could turn into the perfect compliment to Jason Terry in Boris Diaw. A 6-foot-9 point forward, Diaw can handle the ball while Terry lights up the scoreboard. Hansen is a solid second pick. Combine his maturity with great athleticism, strong defense and a nice shooting touch, and the Hawks found a guy who could make a major contribution to their backcourt.

Grade: A-

Since I don't think any of us has seen any film of Diaw (much less seen him play in person), there's no way to know if he can handle the ball until summer league. However, I have noticed that the reports saying he can't handle the ball tend to be older, while the reports with him as a huge point guard are more recent. Perhaps he has improved significantly in that facet of his game over the past few years? I hope.

• Premium Member

It's a mystery. The good thing is that Knight has seen him 3 times already. We just have to trust his instincts. It still is a shame that we have to bring in a compliment to Terry.

Memphis had an interesting draft.

I like both Bell and Jones. I think they are setting the Kobe table. They will probably give a lot of players for Kobe... Including Swift or Lo, Battier, Williams, etc.

Really, that is all we can do. None of us really know how good this kid is so I am just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Maybe he WILL turn out to be a Scottie Pippen type player in a couple of years.

As far as having to bring someone in to compliment Terry, that is what building a team is all about. Unless you have the ability to go out and get a player who is BETTER than the ones you already have, you try to bring in players who COMPLIMENT the ones you already have. Hopefully, Diaw will not only compliment Terry, he will compliment Dog, Reef and Theo as well.