• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just do your job

TheNorthCydeRises

That's all I want these players to do. Do their job.

- JJ must be the offensive catalyst, either with his shooting or his playmaking. Like I always say, we need 30 - 35 created points ( own points + points off of his assists ) for us to win on most nights. He came on late, but for the most part, he didn't do his job last night.

- Bibby has to be the floor leader of the group, while providing timely offense. He did a decent job of doing that last night, so he did his job.

- Marvin needs to knock down most of his open shots from midrange. More than anything else, that's his job. He didn't do that last night, so he has every right to be ripped for his play, despite the fact he grabbed almost 10 boards.

- Horford has to be the banger on both ends of the floor and prevent people from owing the paint. Rebounding wise, he did his job. Defensively he didn't. Overall, he didn't do his job.

- Smoove has to be the impact player on defense, more than anything, while providng timely offense. Getting 16 or so points from him is good, but our starting PF can't grab just 4 rebounds. Not when our opponent grabs 19 offensive rebounds. Overall, he didn't do his job.

- Chill has to be the sparkplug of the team. He did a great job in being just that, and literally saved us from losing by 15 - 20 points. He definitely did his job.

If Marvin's and Smoove's numbers were switched, we probably win that game. Let me illustrate why.

A 6 - 12 FG, 16 point game from Marvin, is right along what we expect from him. And although we want him to grab more than 4 rebounds, that's more of the norm for him too. His job is to knock down open shots, not necessarily get 10 rebounds. A couple of timely jumpers from Marvin in that 3rd period, slows down that Chicago run.

A 3 - 14 FG, 10 point - 9 rebound game out of Smoove, while terrible offensively, doesn't mean that he had a horrible game overall. We've won games with Smoove shooting terribly.

If Smoove grabs 9 rebounds, 7 - 8 of those are probably going to be defensive rebounds, which limits 2nd chance points. And Smoove will have a tendency to ignite fast breaks off of his defensive rebounds, especially with outlet passes to Chill.

For some reason, Marvin's and Smoove's roles got reversed last night, and it cost us. Guys have to do their jobs on a nightly basis. Marvin can't miss 11 shots and Smoove can't grab just 4 rebounds, and expect us to win.

Haha

Sorry to hijack your thread Northcyde but I wanted to add

Anyone notice the "Boss button" on the NCAA on demand online? LOL that was funny. They are actively participating in you trying to trick your employer as to what your'e doing on company time!

Hilarious

I would add that Zaza definitely did his job last night. He was active on both ends and he actually defended Gooden FAR better than anyone else. I don't know why Woody didn't match him up with Gooden more last night. Noah's quickness was a problem for Zaza so I understand why Woody took him out in the 2nd half but when Gooden came back in, Woody should have brought Zaza back.

Quote:

If Marvin's and Smoove's numbers were switched, we probably win that game. Let me illustrate why.

I don't see how that works at all. They were both ineffective whether they did the other person's "job" or not. It doesn't matter who is designated to do the job, the job needs to get done somehow. Whether Acie steps up and does Bibby's or Chill does Marvins or whatever, we need to take care of everything.

Quote:

I don't see how that works at all. They were both ineffective whether they did the other person's "job" or not. It doesn't matter who is designated to do the job, the job needs to get done somehow. Whether Acie steps up and does Bibby's or Chill does Marvins or whatever, we need to take care of everything.

But that's the whole reason of "defining roles". Law on most nights isn't goin to be able to do what Bibby does. Chill on most nights can't score his usual points plus another 8 - 12 points to compensate for Marvin's off game.

If Mario West came into a game, and dished out 3 assists, that's good. But if on the other end, his man was taking him to school, that's bad. Why? Because Mario's role is to defend, not to dish out assists. The assists are an added bonus ONLY if Mario is defending, which is why he's in the game in the first place. So overall, Mario isn't doing his job.

In the case of Marvin and Smoove, when Smoove is a non-factor on the boards, it forces Horford to work that much harder to get them. If he can't get them, some other guy whose strength isn't rebounding, has to try to get them. That may or may not work out. Marvin did grab 9 rebounds, but 4 of them were within 3 minutes of each other in the 4th quarter. But we all know that we can't depend on Marvin to pick up the rebounding slack. So Smoove has to do his job on the boards.

The same goes for Marvin when he isn't making shots. Someone else has to make shots. If a guy's strength isn't making shots, he may not make them either. We all know what happens when Smoove makes an outside shot. He gets shot happy. So just like Smoove and rebounding, Marvin has to make shots. Chill isn't able to do what he did last night, on a nightly basis.

And one of the reasons why we almost always lose when JJ has a bad shooting game, is that no one on the team can assume his role as both shooter and playmaker. Bibby is the closest we have to even coming close to duplicating what JJ does for us.

And Trace is right. Zaza did his job last night too by using his body on both ends of the floor to somewhat slow down Gooden.

Quote:

A 3 - 14 FG, 10 point - 9 rebound game out of Smoove, while terrible offensively, doesn't mean that he had a horrible game overall. We've won games with Smoove shooting terribly.

If Smoove grabs 9 rebounds, 7 - 8 of those are probably going to be defensive rebounds, which limits 2nd chance points. And Smoove will have a tendency to ignite fast breaks off of his defensive rebounds, especially with outlet passes to Chill.

For some reason, Marvin's and Smoove's roles got reversed last night, and it cost us. Guys have to do their jobs on a nightly basis. Marvin can't miss 11 shots and Smoove can't grab just 4 rebounds, and expect us to win.

3rd Quarter Hawks w/ 8 pt lead

Josh Smith

1/5 FG 5 pts 6 RB

Quote:

Quote:

3rd Quarter Hawks w/ 8 pt lead

Josh Smith

1/5 FG 5 pts 6 RB

And when you look at how well both sides were shooting at that point, those 6 rebounds were pretty huge. Marvin was a scoring threat, Chill did his thing again, and JJ was the high scoring/playmaking threat.

5 pts and 6 rebs from Smoove is better than 10 pts and 2 rebs from him. His rebounding is more important than his scoring.

Like I said, they just have to do their jobs, and we'll be OK.