• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody Please take Acie Law out of the Rotation

Johnnybravo4

Maybe so, All I know is that our main backup pg shoots 19% from 3. No matter what you think about Salim, he'd never shoot that low from 3 even blindfolded.

Not to mention that Salim, when he drives, is a better finisher at the rim than Law is. Law almost always gets his shotblocked, even though he is taller than Salim

So if you can't shoot better than 20% from 3 and you can't finish at the rim, you are an offensive liability and teams will collapse on our bigs and dare Acie to shoot, which he won't. It is like Boris Diaw all over again.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Maybe so, All I know is that our main backup pg shoots 19% from 3. No matter what you think about Salim, he'd never shoot that low from 3 even blindfolded.

Not to mention that Salim, when he drives, is a better finisher at the rim than Law is. Law almost always gets his shotblocked, even though he is taller than Salim

So if you can't shoot better than 20% from 3 and you can't finish at the rim, you are an offensive liability and teams will collapse on our bigs and dare Acie to shoot, which he won't. It is like Boris Diaw all over again.

because he's playing scared.If u think "I have to make this or I will get pulled" 9981 times out of 10000 you're gonna miss.That's why most of the season he's pump faked air and drove into a black hole or he throws up a shot with no confidence.

Quote:

Acie struggles in large part because Woodson is our coach. He has transformed Acie from a dictator who will take over a game and stick a daggerin your heart, to someone who is scared to shoot and scared to make a mistake. Woodson has NEVER done a good job at developing players while here...Acie is a victim, in large part, of this. He never got consistent minutes for any extended period of time and Woodson NEVER hesitated to pull him after one mistake. That will shake anyone's confidence. As I have said, shed Woodson and bring in a real coach, who will teach Acie the ways and let him do what he did best in college (shoot, kinda like Bibby), and will take the time to develop him and not yank him after one mistake, then he will be fine. Maybe not All Star material, but good nonetheless.

I agree 100%

Quote:

Yea.He gets scared to shoot sometimes and just passes it off (ala the chilldress jumpball tonight & multiple shotclock violations other nights)

Maybe it's because most rookie point guards struggle. Remember JT? Acie's struggles are not Woody's fault. Woody is trying to build Acie's confidence because he needs him to spell Bibby now and in the playoffs, but everytime Acie (and the other people on the bench other than Chill and sometimes ZaZa) gets in, things fall apart and the starters have to return. Woddy tried the same thing with Salim - - with the same result, things fell apart. If either of them was reliable, they'd play solid minutes (like AJ and, yes, TLue did when they were here) backing up the PG position. Under the circumstances, he plays them until he can't afford to anymore, then they come out.

I see little in the way of alternatives on the current roster. I bet in the playoffs, unless Acie steadies himself, backup PG will be manned by Chill, Joe and perhaps even Marvin, with Acie as a last resort. 10 minutes a game now from Speedy would be priceless.

yardbird, you must not have watched the games. Woodson has NEVER given Acie consistent minutes. You wanna talk about Woodson building confidence? Confidence? You talking about confidence? Man please. Woodson has done nothing but install counter-productive measures to squash whatever confidence he may have.

Quote:

Maybe it's because most rookie point guards struggle. Remember JT? Acie's struggles are not Woody's fault. Woody is trying to build Acie's confidence because he needs him to spell Bibby now and in the playoffs, but everytime Acie (and the other people on the bench other than Chill and sometimes ZaZa) gets in, things fall apart and the starters have to return. Woddy tried the same thing with Salim - - with the same result, things fell apart. If either of them was reliable, they'd play solid minutes (like AJ and, yes, TLue did when they were here) backing up the PG position. Under the circumstances, he plays them until he can't afford to anymore, then they come out.

I see little in the way of alternatives on the current roster. I bet in the playoffs, unless Acie steadies himself, backup PG will be manned by Chill, Joe and perhaps even Marvin, with Acie as a last resort. 10 minutes a game now from Speedy would be priceless.

Woody didn't build his confidence by giving away his starting job THAT HE EARNED to bum Anthony frickin Johnson because some scrub from alabama fall on his ankle.U shouldn't lose your job to injury especially when the guy filling in doesn't outplay u.AJ wasn't even close to Acie.Acie loses minutes,Woody starts pairing him with Salim off the bench,then Lue gets his minutes.Acie starts doing nothing as backup.AJ gets suspended,Law starts plays GREAT against portland even hit a 3.We have the lead.Lue plays the whole 2nd half and overtime WE LOSE.Our starters killed Portlands.Charlotte game Acie is hitting basline jumpers,turnaround jumpers in the lane.4th quarter clutch situation,Bobcats coming back he gets into the lane,gets cut off,nowhere to go,tosses a hook shot nothing but net CAPTAIN CLUTCH.2 minutes left,Woody pulls him and puts in bum AJ who has done NOTHING by the way all game.He quickly throws up 2 bad shots,goes to overtime AJ fouls a guy behind the 3 pount line we lose.

HOW THE HELL IS THAT BUILDING CONFIDENCE?ONE TIME HE HAD A GREAT GAME.NEXT GAME AGAINST THE LAKERS I THINK,DID NOT PLAY.WTF

Acie right now is the lesser of two evils and actually has, in theory, PG skills and the size/ability to play defense. All Salim has is the ability to hoist ill-advised jumpers... he's not going to be a rotation player for the stretch run and if we make the playoffs, so there's no sense in playing Salim at the expense of Acie (or J-Rich & Mario for that matter).

btw.... can anyone who saw most of the game comment on how J-Crit played... I still believe we should have taken him over Acie with the #11 pick, but BK was/is afraid for his job so of course he took the supposedly NBA-ready Law. Not doggin' on Acie because he hasn't had the chance to develop yet, but I'm just curious....

CWell, it's futile. It has become conspicuously apparent how stupid so many fans are. They don't understand the gravity of just how much Woodson has held Acie back. Yes, WOODSON! They expect a effin rookie to come in, after getting 3 mins one night and is blessed with 6 mins the next, to come in and start dishing out assists and racking up points left and right with OTHER SORRY BENCH PLAYERS. They don't believe in developing a player--something Woodson has a knack for not doing. I swear, some of these fans are just stupid.

And yeah -> saythat.gif

Quote:

Acie right now is the lesser of two evils and actually has, in theory, PG skills and the size/ability to play defense. All Salim has is the ability to hoist ill-advised jumpers... he's not going to be a rotation player for the stretch run and if we make the playoffs, so there's no sense in playing Salim at the expense of Acie (or J-Rich & Mario for that matter).

btw.... can anyone who saw most of the game comment on how J-Crit played... I still believe we should have taken him over Acie with the #11 pick, but BK was/is afraid for his job so of course he took the supposedly NBA-ready Law. Not doggin' on Acie because he hasn't had the chance to develop yet, but I'm just curious....

he's on his 2nd team already and has played majority SG,so that should tell u a lil something.

I watch every Hawk game, and go to quite a few as well. Acie's a rookie, and he has been given the opportunity to play except when he's (a) hurt or (b) ineffective. If Acie had shown more, I doubt the trade for Bibby would have been made. But playing point in the NBA isn't the same as doing it in college, unless you're a rare talent like CP3. Hell, even he and Deron weren't playoff level consistent in their rookie years.

The Hawks are barely squeaking towards the playoffs now and investing anymore development time into Acie and Salim would, based on what I've seen, probably cost them the playoff slot. Woodson is doing what I'd do right now, make the playoffs now, and worry about the rest later. If he gets to the playoffs, he has a prayer of saving his job (I know most don't savor that possibility, but you can't fault the man for trying to survive). If he misses the playoffs because letting Acie and Salim play through their mistakes costs us 2 or 3 games at this critical juncture, he has no chance.

I want the Hawks to make the playoffs so the young guns can grow through trial by fire. I don't care whether it the 7th or 8th seed, cause I'd be surprised if we could win a single game against either Boston or Detroit (could you imagine Acie or Salim trying to rest Bibby against Chauncey & Co. in the playoffs when we'd have their full attention? Don't be fooled by how well we played them in the regular season, it would not be the same.). I think a realistic goal would be being competitive in at least 3 of the 4 games, and stealing a playoff win would be gravy and huge!

This year we need to get there and learn how to be mentally tough, especially since we won't add a significant new player most likely. Next year and beyond, that experience should pay dividends.

we won't win one game in the playoffs because we'll need the bench and Woody hasn't developed one because he has no clue.we can save face during the regular season but getting BLOWN OUT by real teams on a big stage because everyone is watching Boston will get u fired more.

Quote:

we won't win one game in the playoffs because we'll need the bench and Woody hasn't developed one because he has no clue.we can save face during the regular season but getting BLOWN OUT by real teams on a big stage because everyone is watching Boston will get u fired more.

You're right we need a bench. But I understand why Woody doesn't trust these guys at this time. When there was time to develop a bench, we were playing people like AJ, Shelden, Lue, Law and Lo. They're gone now, and since they've been gone, we could not afford to lose even one of the games we won so people like Salim, West and Solo could grow. If we'd lost one of those games because of one more mistake from Acie or Salim while Joe and Bibby rested, we'd be up basically one game on NJ, and this team doesn't play well under pressure. The time for development is summer league, preseason and early season. After the All-Star break, we needed to do everything possible to make the playoffs. Hopefully, we'll build a bench in the offseason. Now and for the playoffs, we have to rely on the top 6 or 7 players to get us through and if fatigue or foul trouble do them in, we take our chances with Acie, Salim, Solo, Alton Lister or whoever.