• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I.T. help

I'm a total layman with computer stuff. I've just moved and hooked up my old computer. It seems like there is a problem with a flash player or something. My yahoo doesn't work right, the drag and drop won't work. When i come here, it switches between normal and a white background with everything in blue tabs. anyone know what I need to do?

Are you using Internet Explorer or FireFox or something else? Are you on Windows XP, Vista, or some other unmentionable OS?

So you are using an old computer and not the one that you have been using? If so you probably have an out of date Flash player. Go to adobe.com and make sure you download the latest Flash player, reboot your computer and see if that fixes it. If not then ...

Do you know how to take a screen shot? If so, do me a favor and email it to jasonbm76@gmail.com and I will take a look at it and see if I can help.

I'm using IE, windows xp. I'm using my HP. It was fine when i stopped using it last year. I started using my girlfriend's laptop. I went to adobe and downloaded and rebooted. It's still the same. At hawksquawk, everything flashes up right, then instantly goes weird. allof the quote boxes andstuff are gone. It's fine when i refresh. i can't youtube any video but yahoo video seemed to work, but the drag and drop on my yahoo baseball team would not work. I'm at a loss. I don't know how to screenshot. Thanks for any help you can give, dolfan.

I would also suggest going and doing a bunch of Windows updates if you haven't done that in a while. If you don't know how to do that manually then do this, with Internet Explorer open go to Tools > Windows Update and then let it scan your computer for needed updates and it will probably be quite a few things and you might have to reboot a couple of times. See if that fixes the issues that you are having. Hope I can help or if anyone else here can help please feel free to chime in.

I tried the windows updates. Still the same. I forgot to say that I get a black box when I turn on the comp. It says C:windowsdhwin.exe

Below the box I get Windowssystem32autoexec.nt. It says system file not suitable for dos and windows applications.

I've never had any problems with this comp before. I've been using it sparingly for non internet needs.

I fixed it. i don't know if it will be permanent, though. I went to my computer, clicked on hp pav, clicked on windows, then went into programs and downloads where i found some damaged programs. they all involved the Active X control, whatever that is. i had seen that on a conflict message earlier tonight. i just removed all of the programs and everything now works. Interestingly, espn.com worked fine before.

thanks for the help. You got my mind on the right track. I'm still getting that black box. That's never happened before. It happens every time I start the comp. Any ideas what it could be?

I'm not sure but it definitely sounds like you have some screwy stuff going on. Honestly, if I were in your position I would probably just re-install Windows. If you have damaged programs and problems with Active X then it's likely that you have registry problems and who knows what else.