• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diaw, Hansen meet with Hawks

Hawksman

Director of Basketball Operations Billy Knight:

"We're very pleased and excited to have these guys here. They're the type of players that we're looking to add to our team. First of all, we feel they are quality men. We feel they're guys that are going to be a bonus to have - not only on the team but in the city and in the community. We think all of those things are important. But obviously the game is important itself."

"We feel they're good basketball players. We think they're versatile players. They'll be multi-position players. We think they'll add some youth and energy to our ballclub. We're not expecting them to be miracle workers. We're not putting the weight of the team on their shoulders. But we expect them to contribute and add to our team in some way. How it will happen - we'll let that manifest itself as we go. They'll be welcomed additions to the team, and we think you'll enjoy watching them play."

Stotts

Head Coach Terry Stotts:

"I think we're very fortunate that we've got two guys that are mature rookies. This man here (Travis) spent two years in Santiago, Chile (on a Mission). So he's very mature. Boris has had a lot of experience in the European leagues. He's played on a championship team at a very high level. I think we're fortunate to have not only talented players, but very mature young men, who I think will be welcomed additions to the team. As far as Boris goes, he gives us someone I can practice my French with. That's an added bonus. This is their day, let's let them talk."

Boris Diaw:

"I'm very happy to come here. I know a little bit about the team. I was very happy when Atlanta drafted me. I think I'm going to enjoy the city."

Diaw

Travis Hansen:

"I'm very happy to be here. I was very excited to get drafted by Atlanta. Coach Stotts called me right after and I was very excited to talk to him. (Stotts: "No, you were disappointed to drop that far.") I was a little disappointed, but as you can tell I'm excited now. I met a lot of guys today, and they're quality guys and really good basketball players. I think the Hawks have a great organization, and I'm looking forward to being part of it."

Boris, what were your initial thoughts on the city of Atlanta since getting in on Sunday?

"I've just seen a little part of the city, and it's a big town. My old teammate (in France), Rod Sellers, has told me that it's a very nice town. I like big cities."

Travis, what were your thoughts on the day of the draft, and talk about your playing style?

Hansen

"I was excited, but on draft day your dream can come true or it can't, in one day or a couple of hours. Leading up to the draft you're really nervous. Then it finally gets here, and you're excited and just want to get it over with. You want to know where you're going to play. We had so many things going on with my agent, ideas of where you're going to go. I just kept dropping, and then when Atlanta was picking, I was like 'come on, come on.' I worked out here twice (before the draft). As far as what I'll bring to Atlanta, I think I'm a high energy player. I love to play. I can hit the three, drive a little. I think I can do a little bit of everything. And I spent a couple of years in Chile (not playing), so I'm really (playing age of) 23 or 22. So I think I can get a lot better at a lot of things. I look forward to working hard."

Where do you see yourself fitting in, assuming the return of Jason Terry?

Diaw: "I think on this team, Jason Terry is like a point guard, but he can score too. What I did in Europe, which I think helped the team, was to get the ball to shooters like Jason Terry, to get the ball inside to players like Shareef and Theo. I don't think I'll be asked to score 30 points. But I will try to make my team play better."

Hansen: "I think I'll be able to contribute. They have great players. Jason Terry plays like a one and a two, of course he's a scorer first. He's a big time player. He's done well in the NBA. It will be a great opportunity to play with guys like him, Shareef, Glenn, Theo. And I think they want us to be more versatile, to push it up so you don't have to give it to Jason every time to come down and start the offense, so he can run off a pick, and me and Boris can bring it up also. My ballhandling is something I'll work on during summer league."

Boris, how did you get started playing basketball?

"My mother, who was a basketball player got me into it. I started playing when I was two years old. I would run up and down the court. She was good obviously. She (her team) beat the USA several years ago, with the French national team. That's why I started and why I love basketball."

Travis, who would you compare yourself to?

"I think there's a lot of players I try to play like. I don't know if there's one particular player I play exactly like. Definitely Jon Barry. He can shoot any shot, he's very high-energy. Doug Christie, because I like to play defense and get into people. Danny Ainge, he was a little feisty. I don't think I'll bite anybody. But he was a feisty player, very competitive."

What is your strongest attribute?

Travis: I try to be versatile. I think in the NBA that could get me some more playing time from the coach, if you can play different positions. I can shoot the open shot, I can drive and finish and I love to play defense."

Boris: For me, I think what I do is a little bit of everything. I try to play defense, make good passes, make some plays, to score sometimes."

Billy, what made you decide to draft Boris?

"He's played in the European league with grown men, competing against them every day. And he's competed in that league for a number of years. He has a poise about him, and composure. His (French) team won the championship. He has poise in pressure situations. He can handle the ball, make plays, score. He can guard the top offensive player on opposing teams. I liked everything about him, rather than one thing. He's a good athlete, he can play multiple positions. And I think he's young enough to still have a big upside. I think there is a lot of room for growth (in both players), even though they are mature players. They both compete all the time."