• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Big Dog

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Everyone on the board seems to be bashing Big Dog with the exception of Diesel. If you have followed the Hawks as many years as I have one must take a look at the past........

The Hawks have always lacked the quality outside shooting threat........We have had Lou Hudson and Pistol who could shoot the ball, we had Tom Mcmillen who shot pretty well. Doc Rivers, Armond Hill, Tom Henderson, Nique, and others were never pure shooters, heck even Steve Hawes our one-time undersized center could shoot the jumper.

I remember when we made a trade for Terry Furlow from Cleveland who came in and shot the lights out and put the Hawks firmly into the playoffs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Big Dog is a legitimate big time shooter, yes Terry can shoot the ball but we have no other outside threats. Teams have camped in the lane for years daring the Hawks to, shoot the ball.

Theo complains about the misgivings of the guards and Big Dog on the defensive end. I would say they could complain just as loudly about his no offense game and turnovers, [censored] Theo has no hands.

I'm just saying we are trading a legitimate pure shooting player and I see no one to take his place.

Big Dog is the best midrange shooter in the game. That being said he isn't a very good shooter beyond the arc. If he was more of a deep theat then the defense would have to account for him which they don't. Last season opposing teams still sagged against us when big dog had the ball on the outside. They would press his midrange game and go for the steal as he clumsily dribbled to the basket.

There's a difference in a great shooter and a streak shooter who sometimes makes bad decisions. That's what GRob is--the ladder. Yeah he had his nights where it appeared that he was on fire, but he [censored] sure shot us out of a lot of games too. Not to mention his turnovers...

J

• Premium Member

Well when Diaw is playing SF everyone will be whinning about he only scores 8 points a game. Just maybe they have someone else in mind and it won't be Posey because he signed with Memphis today.

Big Dog will be missed

Clearing out Big Dawg might clear the way to sign a cheap shooter and Piatkowski would fit the bill. While he is not the 15 ft jump shooter of Big Dawg's ability he is a far better deep shooter who actually has made some clutch shots during the years. While you are right about the team's history of missing jump shooters I think we can gain one with clever money management.

I would be content with our 2/3 wing players being DJ, Piatkowski, Diaw, Hansen and CC with Diaw at the 3 and either DJ or Piatkowski at the 2 spot. Not great but a solid core of guys who have versatile skills. Glover or Benjamin might fit in the mix as well if DJ ior CC is not able to go full time.