• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yahoo Hawks Team Report

AmishBoy

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Man I sware we have a AK-47 and Manu G here(difference is our one doesn't come to play on the road). Not to mention we still need a real Kobe, not a fake one, 'sorry Joe'.

What is so hard to read about this. Will someone please tell me. This looks no different then any other post around here. I could understand if I was saying Manz deez hoez don't be understandin sheittt. But I'm speaking American English. Would someone please come and help me out. Diesel, you write really good. Please tell me what's my problem, and why goofs like dig and dolfan are always being jerks about grammar.

FWIW, I am not great at spelling, but my grammar tends to be decent. That said, I worked my butt off in college to handle my grammar issues. I tend to write train-of-thought, which is what you do, so take this post as advice. You compound the grammatical and spelling issues by adding in slang that not everyone is familiar with; thus, your posts are dificult to read due to the poor grammar and non-standard English. Add in that you are making annologies that no one can follow due to the poor sentence structure, and you are left with difficult to read posts.

I can sort of dicipher your annologies, but not fully:

AK47 = Smith?

Manu = ??Bibby??

Kobe = JJ

Thus your point is that we don't have a Kobe/MJ/Bird/Magic/Kareem/Hakeem-type player and that is why we are an 8th seed team in the East, no?

Try to read your posts before posting them. A way to catch grammar mistakes is to read the last sentence first and then go backwards. This should help you catch the run-ons and fragments that plague your writing (as they do mine- I should add).

Thanks man, I will work hard to change that. I will eventually start having to write emails without someone looking over my work in the workplace. I really need to improve on this area. I already had two members call me out on it.

As for college papers, I have several people who proof the paper for me. As you could understand B's and C's tend to be the outcome when I write a paper.

EDIT: Just to add, how comes my writing doesn't look as bad to me as they does to others. When I'm playing basketball I can see if my shot release is off just by looking at my form and elevation. In business and I can tell my perentages are wrong just by looking at the math; but I can't tell if my grammar is really bad or not. I guess I know what I was going to say and I just assume you will too which is my problem but I'm not sure. I leave out key words for some reason as well... I sometimes will write sentences with the right meaning but it ends up like this... I was to play basketball at the gym at 5. I left out (going), it's a very common mistake with me.

I write how I speak. The major difference is I speak much clearer, and have great tone management. It becomes more evident by the day. I do not leave words out when I speak, which is another difference. It's easy to understand me in person because I make excellent eye contact with anyone I speak to, and give off this perception that I'm listening to everything your saying. I make great effort to connect with people verbally and I have a lot of charisma the way I carry myself. I can speak to any race or crowd of people, thought I struggle with the less educated at times. I have excellent strengths and bad weaknesses as anyone else in this society.

After reading my postings, I have a lot of run-ons in my setences. That has to change at least a 10% rate.

I second what Fosgrim said about reading. If you want to become a proficient at professional writing, you have to read professional writing, in mass quantities.

Obviously you have a lot of leeway on these message boards as far as style, syntax, grammar and spelling issues are concerned. If people are giving you a hard time about that kind of thing I wouldn't really worry about it. I think a lot of your posts are tough to decipher though because you do write with that stream-of-conscious style that you spoke of. If you just go back and reread the post you will catch a lot of the major stuff. Try to imagine you are sitting down and reading it for the first time and see if you can easily understand the point or the argument of the post as a reader.

Professional writing is a different animal, though, and I think the best advice is just to up your intake of professional writing from reputable outlets (not some random blogspot).

Oh, and I'm not sure I would look to Diesel's work as my model of excellence. His posts are legible, sure, but often written in the shorthand, fragmented form that is common on these types of boards. That's not to say he isn't capable of better; when you make 25,000 posts I'm sure you learn to take shortcuts.