• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sund: Better than the alternatives

Vesper

I just read that article, and I think Shultz brings up some good points. He points out that the report that Chris Grant turned the job down is somewhere between dubious and Sasquatch..i.e...it was made up.

The fact is, Atlanta wasn't going to get one of the top GM's in the NBA. Guys like RC Buford, Joe Dumars, Kevin O'Connor, and Geoff Petrie aren't leaving their current jobs anytime soon. So, the choice for the Hawks was either bring in a "retread" GM that had the likes of Billy King, John Gabriel, Rick Sund, Randy Pfund, and some others in the pool of candidates, or to get an assistant GM that has no GM experience. Dennis Lindsey, Chris Grant, and Tommy Sheppard largely made up this group. I admittedly wanted someone from the assistant GM pool. Those guys were clean and didn't have the warts on them the retread GM candidates have.

Rick Sund comes off to me as a safe choice. He has a wealth of experience in the NBA. There are certainly some good things and some bad things about him at this point, but I am going to take a wait and see attitude with him. The fact is, the guy I wanted Atlanta to go after, they never had the opportunity to go after him. I would have gone after John Hammond if he had been available, but he was hired in late April by Milwaukee before Atlanta had a GM opening to speak of.

Guys, I am just relieved it isn't Chris Grant. The fact that Schultz didn't completely bash the choice considering how he loves to bash any and everything the Hawks do could be good, who knows? I will certainly go on record as saying I am not against the Sund hiring. I was a Knight fan and thought we shoulda committed to BK but thats water under the bridge now. Hopefully Sund gets us where we want to get. We shall see. Biggest worry to me is the past coaches he has hired...then again, that was a BK flaw as well so tit for tat. Bring it home Rick Sund!

• Premium Member

My feelings are:

Sund > Grant, Ellis.

Sund

Really, I was hoping for a guy with experience so I can't be mad with Sund. Fearful yes. Mad No.

I think when Gabriel gets a team, he will once again be executive of the year.