• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

sonics

dlpin

Anyone else paying attention to the Sonics/OKC saga?

http://sonicscentral.com/blog/

I think this is Stern's most glaring failure as a commish.

What Bennett has been trying to pull is shameful, and the fact that he is going along with it is just as bad.

And not only the way theyve been trying to get a team to OKC is dishonest, but it doesnt even make business sense. OKC would be the 3rd smallest market in terms of population and the smallest market in terms of population's disposable income. Within a decade they would be begging to relocate again.

It is a hail mary at this point, but I really hope the starbucks owner gets the team back and keep it in seattle.

That Seattle owner is a piece of shyyt. The nba should be ashamed of themselves for aligning with that aysshole. For all you who say Belkin cant be worse than ASG, HA!!! Belkin is exactly the kind of guy who if possible would pull the same stunts as the Seattle owner Clay Bennet. Say what you want about Gearon, he knows the Hawks belong in Atlanta.

I agree. The move is worse than moving the Hornets to New Orleans. OKC would be enterring upon the market of the Dallas Mavericks too (much like NO on Houston). Its long term success is highly unlikely just like the teams of St. Louis and Kansas City. That area of the country simply doesn't have disposable income, while I think Seattle is one of the richer areas in the country.

Quote:

...Its long term success is highly unlikely just like the teams of St. Louis and Kansas City. That area of the country simply doesn't have disposable income, while I think Seattle is one of the richer areas in the country.

A bit OT HF but since you mentioned St. Louis. STL is a great sports town (BASEBALL!!) and there is disposable income there (obviously not like NY). Anyway, it comes down to ownership. I grew up pulling for the "Cardiac Cards" of the NFL - but STL had Bidwell - the worst NFL owner going. St. Louisans applauded when he took the franchise to PHX (and they still suck there...every year...it's like the sun coming up...it can be counted on). But then G Frontierre brought in the Rams and the town went football crazy. MO/Ill isn't even normally huge football country.

But it is pretty good basketball country and a solid franchise with a good owner could do very well there.

I would tend to agree with you on Kansas City though...they are a buncha cowtown hicks eheheh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

...Its long term success is highly unlikely just like the teams of St. Louis and Kansas City. That area of the country simply doesn't have disposable income, while I think Seattle is one of the richer areas in the country.

A bit OT HF but since you mentioned St. Louis. STL is a great sports town (BASEBALL!!) and there is disposable income there (obviously not like NY). Anyway, it comes down to ownership. I grew up pulling for the "Cardiac Cards" of the NFL - but STL had Bidwell - the worst NFL owner going. St. Louisans applauded when he took the franchise to PHX (and they still suck there...every year...it's like the sun coming up...it can be counted on). But then G Frontierre brought in the Rams and the town went football crazy. MO/Ill isn't even normally huge football country.

You and me both on St Louis. The baseball Cards always had a good team going way back, d*ck Groat, Javier, White, Gibson, Flood. Those guys were my childhood idols. The football Cards were good for a while . . . . . cardiac Cards, but they lost a lot of games too. I saw the Hawks there once before they moved.

But it is pretty good basketball country and a solid franchise with a good owner could do very well there.

I would tend to agree with you on Kansas City though...they are a buncha cowtown hicks eheheh.gif