• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting Bit from John Hollinger from ESPN

khaos7

John Hollinger, who lives in Atlanta and has attended several Hawks games had this to say:

Quote:

Jamaal (Washington Twp, NJ): Any truth to the rumors that the 76ers are going to offer HUGE money in the 1st year in an attempt to lure Josh Smith from Atlanta?

John Hollinger: (3:19 PM ET ) I believe the most they can offer is in the $11 million range; to me that's not nearly enough to scare off the Hawks (Smith is restricted, so ATL can match any offer). If the Hawks don't match, every season ticket holder should immediately call and demand a refund. Both of them

I wish Hollinger wasnt a Hawks fan. He is such a doushhhhhhh. Just because all they can offer now is a deal that avr 11 mill doesnt mean they cant frontload the 1st year. We signed JJ to a deal that avr 14 mill and his 1st year salary was 20 mill. You would think an " espn expert " would know this. Also if they free up some space on draft night they can offer more.

• Moderators

I think that's true and simply hilarious. He's the one I like. Esp. compared to Steven A and bilas etc.

The main point is that letting Smith go would be a pr disaster and they can't afford anymore of those. they already re-upped an unpopular coach.

Quote:

I think that's true and simply hilarious. He's the one I like. Esp. compared to Steven A and bilas etc.

The main point is that letting Smith go would be a pr disaster and they can't afford anymore of those. they already re-upped an unpopular coach.

Unless a high performing, well known name is acquired, I really don't think this city would take to kindly to the idea of letting a blossoming, 22 year old, possible budding star go. Honestly, I heard a lot of fringe Hawks fans talking about Smith during the playoffs. If you're going to let him walk, surely you'll replace him with a star. That's the only alternative. I believe the anti-Smith people out there are really underestimating the impact of losing this guy could have on an already shaky fan-base.

Josh Smith is not leaving here for nothing. That's for sure. The only piece we have that makes sense, for the right deal is Marvin. I just can't see Atlanta re-upping him at a ridiculous amount if both Joshes stay and you have to be in contract talks with Joe next summer. Bibby wont be here for that absurd amount hes making after this year. He's a rental for this year and hand the keys to Acie or someone else the year after.

Quote:

Quote:

Unless a high performing, well known name is acquired, I really don't think this city would take to kindly to the idea of letting a blossoming, 22 year old, possible budding star go. Honestly, I heard a lot of fringe Hawks fans talking about Smith during the playoffs. If you're going to let him walk, surely you'll replace him with a star. That's the only alternative. I believe the anti-Smith people out there are really underestimating the impact of losing this guy could have on an already shaky fan-base.

I live in NYC now and the people who follow basketball in my office say things along the lines of, "Josh Smith is the future of that team... [insert comment they read on sports guy's blog about BK picking forwards and Atlanta having no fans]".

That was kind of funny.

I was going to buy season tickets thinking "surely they are going to re-sign this guy" but I had to remind myself it's Atlanta I'm talking about. We constantly screw things up.

I haven't bought seats yet. I know I've missed out on much better seats, but until they re-sign Smoove, I ain't buying.

When it is all said and done, there are fewer and fewer sports casters I like. They are all so full of themself they they are doing us a favor.

But what occured to me was how will Smoove handle this new contract, being up there with the big guys. A lot of players who sign contracts like this seem to hit a wall and given that he has been up and down on a regular basis, I think there is reason for concern.