• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The future of the Center position.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

CLASH OF THE (FORMER GEORGIA HIGH SCHOOL TITANS): That workout with Kwame Brown and Randolph Morris that we told you would happen this summer took place today (no, the media was not allowed to watch). Both players reportedly gave a good showing, with Brown drawing the most raves from onlookers.

Both guys appeared to be in good to decent shape and after three years with limited big men available, Hawks coach Mike Woodson said it was just good to see guys as big as Brown and Randolph wearing Hawks colors, even if it was just practice gear.

“It’s nice to see two big bodies first and foremost,” Woodson said. “Zaza, Al Horford and Solomon Jones are the only real bigs we’ve got. Josh Smith isn’t the big 7-footer, even though he’s done a great job for us holding it down at that position. But it was nice to have two big guys like those guys competing against each other in our gym and giving us an opportunity to look at them in hopes that they might be a part of our basketball team. Kwame might come back [Wednesday], so that let’s me know that he’s sincere about our team.”

Randolph worked out with the rest of the Hawks’ mini-campers during the afternoon session and will finish out the Atlanta portion of the schedule but will not accompany them to Salt Lake City Thursday for the Rocky Mountain Revue summer league competition.

Randolph, the former Landmark Christian star, did say that the idea of playing for the Hawks and before his hometown fans, is a tantalizing proposition.

“Of course it would be nice to come back home and play,” said Randolph, who spent the first year and a half of his NBA career with the New York Knicks. “But you’d have to talk to my agent [Wallace Prather] about where we go from here. I’m here and doing everything I can. We’ll just have to see where it goes from here.”

There’s no question the Hawks have a need for another big body, or two, to fill out a frontcourt rotation that was sorely lacking in the size and depth departments last season.

I can easily see us making Morris a meager offer... then signing Brown with the MLE after we sign the Joshes.

I'm of the opinion that Kwame can be useful here. Second guy off the bench after Chillz. He provides size, some D, and six fouls. You might be surprised. If Luke Jackson does well and we sign him, we may be OK.

Bibby/Law

JJ/Chillz

Marv/Jackson

Smoove/Zaza

Horf/Brown

Not a title team, but not bad.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It’s nice to see two big bodies first and foremost,” Woodson said. “Zaza, Al Horford and Solomon Jones are the only real bigs we’ve got. Josh Smith isn’t the big 7-footer, even though he’s done a great job for us holding it down at that position. But it was nice to have two big guys like those guys competing against each other in our gym and giving us an opportunity to look at them in hopes that they might be a part of our basketball team. Kwame might come back [Wednesday], so that let’s me know that he’s sincere about our team.”

It seems to me that Woody really likes the two guys fighting for the Center position. I believe if he can get them, then Al will only play C in places where we have a matchup advantage.

Quote:

Quote:

It’s nice to see two big bodies first and foremost,” Woodson said. “Zaza, Al Horford and Solomon Jones are the only real bigs we’ve got. Josh Smith isn’t the big 7-footer, even though he’s done a great job for us holding it down at that position. But it was nice to have two big guys like those guys competing against each other in our gym and giving us an opportunity to look at them in hopes that they might be a part of our basketball team. Kwame might come back [Wednesday], so that let’s me know that he’s sincere about our team.”

It seems to me that Woody really likes the two guys fighting for the Center position. I believe if he can get them, then Al will only play C in places where we have a matchup advantage.

I doubt that Woody would start Kwame or Randolph because neither of them are good enough to justify benching Marvin and I wouldn't like the idea of Smoove having to play the 3. Kwame is best served as a backup and would likely be the first big off the bench.

Quote:

Quote:

Kwame is a fine back up C and Randolph is a fine back up to your back up. Neither should be starting though.

If Speedy comes back at near full strength and we sign Morris and Kwame, we are suddenly a very deep team. I'd resign Jeremy Richardson unless some summer leaguer seriously outplays him but probably let Solo go and sign Wayne Simien.

Sund is coming into this thing at a very simple time. What he does with Bibby would be determined by whether we look like we can win a round or two in the playoffs and how Acie plays. You give Marvin a contract midway between Smoove and Chillz, I doubt he gets an offer that would throw that off. Horford will be easier to match than Smoove unless he shocks me and doesn't easily deserve the max.

The difficult contracts will be Acie and how much to pay JJ if we aren't a title contender by then.