• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sund: Your reputation proceeds you

HawkItus

This whole Smoove/Chillz fiasco is illuminating one character flaw in Sund that I think makes him and the ASG a bad marriage. I recall several people saying Sund is a slow and deliberate decision maker almost to a fault. We've seen this thus far with his first two decisions. He took a long time to keep Woodson and he's taking a long time with these negotiations. I see trouble brewing because our owners take a long time to reach consensus as well. That means we are always going to risk being an also ran during pressure times like the trade deadline and free agency.

Sund is doing what every GM in his situation is doing:

the Warriors have still not given Bedrians or M. Ellis any offers

nor have the 76ers with Iggy

nor have the Bulls with Deng or Gordon

nor have the Bobcats with Okefor

nor have the Hawks with Smith or Chillz

All teams are playing it the exact same way due to the RFA situation. I would only accuse Sund of acting how ALL the other GMs act in this exact same situation.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This whole Smoove/Chillz fiasco is illuminating one character flaw in Sund that I think makes him and the ASG a bad marriage.

Again why hire a GM if you are just going to pay the agent's asking price. A caveman can do that! What Sund is doing is what any other savvy businessman would do is get the most bang for his buck! And for some reason, posters are complaining about it without offering an alternative course.

Calling this a 'fiasco' is a little much. As coachx mentioned, none of the top RFAs have signed, and there's a reason for that. There is a process to this.

With no teams left (except cheap old Memphis) with cap space, the Joshes have lost some of their leverage. So now they're out trying other means to give themselves leverage in negotiations with the Hawks...saying they want a SnT, visiting European teams, etc.

In most years, other NBA teams with cap space can be used for leverage. This year, that's not the case, so the Joshes are doing what they should be doing...finding whatever leverage they can. Hopefully the ASG is doing what they should be doing and continuing to negotiate. Just as bad as refusing to budge on a lowball offer would be signing whatever number the agent throws at you and financially handicapping the team.

It's a process, and it's one that all teams with RFAs are going through.

Quote:

Sund is doing what every GM in his situation is doing:

the Warriors have still not given Bedrians or M. Ellis any offers

nor have the 76ers with Iggy

nor have the Bulls with Deng or Gordon

nor have the Bobcats with Okefor

nor have the Hawks with Smith or Chillz

All teams are playing it the exact same way due to the RFA situation. I would only accuse Sund of acting how ALL the other GMs act in this exact same situation.

I think you are missing the number one difference in our Hawks players.... All these crazy stories of J-Smoove and J-Chill not wanted to come back to play with THE HAWKS.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM! magnifier.gif

You guys aren't understanding what I'm saying. That's fine to bring up the other teams and free agents. But look closely, those other teams and GM's have made significant moves otherwise, save the Bobcats. We didn't have a draft, we haven't had a trade. We've done nothing to keep the good spirits and momentum going in this city. We can't afford to do what other franchises do and be a viable team.