• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2 interesting things in todays Insider

Admin

First this.....

In reply to:

According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Nuggets are talking with Serbian forward Predrag Drobjnak. Drobjnak is a restricted free agent, but the Sonics are having trouble signing him because of cap issues. "Denver is definitely near the top of Peja's list, and they're very interested in him," his agent, David Bauman, said. Atlanta, Miami, Utah and the Clippers, to a lesser extent, also are interested. "He's the best big man available (in free agency)."

And then this.....(which Diesel should love).....

In reply to:

TRADE 1

Antoine Walker to Chicago; Donyell Marshall, Marcus Fizer, Jerome James and Eddie Robinson to Boston; Shareef Abdur-Rahim to Seattle; Vladimir Radmanovic, Brent Barry, Eric Williams and Bulls' No. 1 to Atlanta

Antoine Walker

Forward

Boston Celtics

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

78 20.1 7.2 4.8 .388 .615

Why the Bulls should do it: It appears that the Bulls have settled on the three young players they intend on building around -- Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry and Jamal Crawford. Now it's time to think playoffs. The addition of Scottie Pippen this summer was a move in the right direction, but adding Walker to the mix finally propels them into playoffs. In return the Bulls must give up three bench players, which shouldn't be hard to do. They've been trying to dump Robinson's contract all summer and neither Marshall nor Fizer has the talent that Walker does. Walker's ability to handle and pass the ball are perfect in the triangle offense, and spies in Chicago claim that Walker, a Windy City native, is in the best shape of his career after intensive workouts this summer. A front line of Chandler, Walker and Curry will be among the biggest and most versatile in the East. Put them together with Crawford and Jalen Rose and the Bulls should make plenty on noise this season. The downside? The Bulls lose some depth on the bench by dumping Fizer and Robinson.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Jamal Crawford

SG Jalen Rose

SF Tyson Chandler

PF Antoine Walker

C Eddy Curry

Why the Celtics should do it: Danny Ainge claims that he hasn't been shopping Walker, but the rampant trade rumors surrounding Walker suggest that where there's smoke there's fire. The Celtics' problem the last few years has been depth. If Walker or Paul Pierce are having off nights, the team was doomed. Not anymore. Marshall and Fizer are both versatile enough to play the four or three. James is the closest thing to a center the Celtics have had in a long time, even if he is a project. And Robinson's athleticism should be a nice complement in the backcourt to rookie point guard Marcus Banks. The downside? Cap flexibility. The Celtics were due to have Williams off the books next summer. Marshall and James have two years left on their contracts. Robinson has three. Fizer will be a restricted free agent next summer. Can the Celtics afford to pay him?

Projected Starting Five:

PG Marcus Banks

SG Eddie Robinson/Kedrick Brown

SF Paul Pierce

PF Donyell Marshall/Marcus Fizer

C Tony Battie/Jerome James

Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Power Forward

Atlanta Hawks

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

81 19.9 8.4 3.0 .478 .841

Why the Sonics should do it: Despite having three 7-footers collecting more than $15 million in salary next year, the Sonics lack a real power forward or center who can command double teams in the post. Without one, Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis can't get the open looks they need to knock down the big shots. While Abdur-Rahim isn't a classic four, he's the best guy available. He's young, athletic, rebounds and can score in the paint. The Sonics actually flirted with acquiring him two years ago in a swap for Gary Payton. A core of Allen, Lewis and Abdur-Rahim is about as good as the Sonics are going to get given their cap restraints. The downside? The Sonics give up a lot to get him. Radmanovic still has the trappings of a star, but he just can't get enough minutes behind Lewis. Barry has played a big part in the Sonics' success the past two seasons, but he's a free agent next summer and the team can't afford to keep him. And for all of James' problems last year, he's still has upside in the middle.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Antonio Daniels

SG Ray Allen

SF Rashard Lewis

PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim

C Vitaly Potapenko

Why the Hawks should do it: Cap space. New owner David McDavid is going to want to come and put his stamp on the team sooner rather than later. Abdur-Rahim isn't the problem in Atlanta, but he also isn't a guy you build around either. Radmanovic is a restricted free agent next summer and Barry and Williams are unrestricted free agents. If the Hawks pulled the trigger on the deal, they would be roughly $10 million under the cap next season, assuming they re-sign Terry. Radmanovic is the key to the deal. He's young, versatile and should have a breakout year in Atlanta given plenty of playing time at the three. Barry could also turn into a valuable asset down the road. His ability to swing between both guard positions should help Terry's game. The downside? The apathy in Atlanta over the Hawks is already rampant. Will dumping Rahim, a Georgia native, drive the 15 fans the Hawks have left away?

Projected Starting Five:

PG Jason Terry

SG Brent Barry

SF Vladimir Radmanovic

PF Theo Ratliff

C Nazr Mohammed

What do you guys think about all of this? If we made this deal and were able to sign Predrag I wouldnt be too disappointed. He is 6'11 272 and averaged almost 10 pts and 4 boards a game last year in 24 minutes. He isnt much of shotblocker, but he is pretty young (27) and should still develope even more. If we could make that trade and sign him and maybe Jon Barry and of course resign JT I would be thrilled with this offseason.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Jason Terry

SG Brent Barry

SF Vladimir Radmanovic

PF Theo Ratliff

C Nazr Mohammed"

So coming away with that team is a sucessful offseason?

What kind of future does that team have?How old is

Brent Barry starting to get?He isn't that good to start

with

It makes no sense to keep Theo Ratliff and trade Reef.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Radmanovic is not a NBA starter.

NO TOP TIER FA IS GOING TO SIGN WITH ATLANTA.THEY

HAVEN"T SIGNED HERE BEFORE AND THEY AREN'T GOING

TO SIGN HERE NOW.

I wouldn't do this trade or pickup Predrag because he

sucks.He can't board and has no athletic ability.

We aren't getting a star in return for one but we are getting a lot of depth plus a decent draft pick. I think we can win with that lineup if we have a good coach.

Terry/Dickau

Barry/Hansen

Williams/Diaw

Ratliff/Radmonovic/Hendu

Drobjnak/Nazr

Next year, we could have Chicago's and our own 1st rounder to look at Center/SG. I think a Carlisle/Fratello could definitely win with Terry/Barry/Williams/Ratliff/Drobjnak. A starting lineup of veterans with a bench of young, promising players in Dickau/Diaw/Radmonovic. I like it...

Holy crap dude you are so clueless. Once again you have shown that you know very little about NBA players.

First lets talk about this old guy who sucks, Brent Barry. You are right that he is getting up there, but in case you didnt read his is a FA after this season so we can keep him or let him go. He is a guy that can play the 1-3 positions very well. He is one of the best in the league at shooting the 3 and with assist to turnover ratio. He is a guy that can easily average 15ppg, 5rpg, and 5apg for us as our starting SG. Every year he is one of the most sought after guys in fantasy basketball because he does everything well. He would be the PERFECT backcourt mate to JT.

Next, lets look at Radmanovich. He is a 6'10 SF with big time range and good handles. The guy just hasnt gotten a chance yet because he is a SF and not much of a PF which is where the Sonics have tried to play him and obviously he wont get playing time ahead of Rashard Lewis at the 3. At 22 years old he still has a ALOT of playing time and growth ahead of him. He could come here and start at SF for us immediately and has the potential to become a big time player and thankfully we have time to develope him because this team isnt going anywhere until the 05/06 season hits and we have some money.

In reply to:

It makes no sense to keep Theo Ratliff and trade Reef.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Sure it does. Reef has a lot more value than Ratliff does to bring back prospects. Not only do we get 2 starters for him in this deal (and 1 with big time potential), but we also get a #1 pick from the Bulls. I think that even if the Bulls got Walker they still wouldnt be a playoff team so that would likely be a lottery pick next year. Combine that with our likelihood of getting a lottery pick as well and thats 2 more young star potential players for us to get next year. Now, I certainly dont agree with Ford that Nazr would start at center and Ratliff would be the PF though. I think that Ratliff would stay at center and either Nazr or Hendu would be the PF.

Anybody that thinks that team would win is freakin

moron.

Who's going to rebound?Theo would lead that team

at about 7RPG...Whos going to be a first option

scorer?Who's going to score in the post?Who's going

to play defense?

lol at that soft team winning games.

[censored] you are so shortsighted. Have you even stopped to think for a second that Barry and Rad will average 5 boards per game? Thats almost a fact that you can write down and bank on. Then you have Theo who will get 8 more boards and whoever the PF/C will be alongside him should get another 5-8 rebounds as well. Sure the team wont have a dominating rebounder, but they will rebound VERY well as a team. JT will be the first option because Barry can easily initate the offense. Both Barry and Rad are good scorers who can both shoot also. The team would lack of a good low post scorer, but thats something we would look for in the lottery next year with our 2 potential picks. I really wish that you could think of the long term instead of just today when you respond to posts on here.

First lets talk about this old guy who sucks, Brent Barry. You are right that he is getting up there, but in case you didnt read his is a FA after this season so we can keep him or let him go. He is a guy that can play the 1-3 positions very well. He is one of the best in the league at shooting the 3 and with assist to turnover ratio. He is a guy that can easily average 15ppg, 5rpg, and 5apg for us as our starting SG. "

What's he ever done when it comes to winning?What kind

of impact has he had on playoff teams.He averaged 10PPG

4RPG 5APG.Nothing impressive about that.

"Next, lets look at Radmanovich. He is a 6'10 SF with big time range and good handles. The guy just hasnt gotten a chance yet because he is a SF and not much of a PF which is where the Sonics have tried to play him and obviously he wont get playing time ahead of Rashard Lewis at the 3. At 22 years old he still has a ALOT of playing time and growth ahead of him. He could come here and start at SF for us immediately and has the potential to become a big time player and thankfully we have time to develope him because this team isnt going anywhere until the 05/06 season hits and we have some money."

How man rebounds can he pull down?What can he do

other than shoot?NOTHING.

Nobody wants to sign with a team with 10 fans.PERIOD.

Nobody worthy is coming here money or not.Look at the

players that want to come here.Broke down scrubs like

Kevin Willis/Steve Smith and Kenny Anderson.

There is no first option scorer on that team, no rebounders,

and still no real PG.It's a sorry team.

Rebounding just isn't about stats....Then you have Theo who will get 8 more boards and whoever the PF/C will be alongside him should get another 5-8 rebounds as well."

Theo has too many games were he only grabs like 4RPG.

"JT will be the first option because Barry can easily initate the offense. "

You are going nowhere with JT as a first option.He doesn't

have the tools to be a first option on a winning team.JT

is a third option scorer.

" The team would lack of a good low post scorer, but thats something we would look for in the lottery next year with our 2 potential picks."

Look at this weak drafts.

We have too many soft white dudes.That is one of the

softest teams I've ever seen.

Fine, you are right. Those players suck and this team sucks and this city sucks and the management sucks and the state sucks and this country sucks and this planet sucks and there is nothing to look forward to but death. Now that I can agree with you on all of that I wont have to waste my breath replying to you anymore.

Don't reply anymore.I don't care.It's not my fault the

city doesn't care about basketball.We had articles last

year were players pointed out they wouldn't come here

due to lack of fans.There was an article with players

saying it themselves.

My biggest problem is keeping soft and aging Theo on

a rebuilding team.It has no point.

Well said Hotatlanta. Finally someone who realizes the reality of our situation.

Everyone repeat after me:

Nobody of true value in the FA market will sign with the Hawks.

Nobody of true value in the FA market will sign witht he Hawks.

Nobody of true value in the FA market will sign witht he Hawks.

Anybody who signs with Atlanta will truly be role players. No impact player is coming into this situation.

I am glad you pointed that out.

I don't have to say it...Players have said it.

It's going to take some moves to actually improve

the team.That cap space means NOTHING.It's no

good to this franchise.

Who here has said ANYTHING about a big FA signing here this year? Has anyone? Pretty much everyone with any knowledge of the team or the NBA knows that we are going to have to wait until 05/06 to make a big move.

Contrary to what you or hotlantascrooge may believe, players do like Atlanta. They like the city and they like the team. Once this team gets a good owner, a good coach, and starts playing together as a team with a good core of young players there will be plenty of FAs that want to play here.

[censored], 5 years ago nobody wanted to play for the Falcons and now look at them. Or how about the Nuggets or the Wizards? All it takes is a little winning to change everything. We all know the Hawks arent going to win this year baring a miracle, but that doesnt mean the Hawks should just tank everything and be all doom and gloom about it like you and scrooge want to be.

You are right...

Cap space might mean something a couple years from now when we start showing we are a stable organization and are building a winner, but right the Hawks have absolutely no identity.

No one in their right mind with impact talent would sign with this team. So cap space is useless right now.

[censored], 5 years ago nobody wanted to play for the Falcons and now look at them."

Football is tradition...Basketball is not.

A Vick worthy guy isn't coming here anytime soon.

"Contrary to what you or hotlantascrooge may believe, players do like Atlanta. They like the city and they like the team"

Show me a list of GOOD players that want to play here.

It's not about the city...THe city didn't make players sign

with Chicago.

It's about the lack of care about basketball from the fans that turns players off.

• Premium Member

I would not like this but it would speak a truth....

We are in rebuilding mode...

I think SAR is more important than all those guys put together.

Radmo is interesting but not good.

Barry is a good match for Terry.

Williams has never impressed me...

The Bulls No. 1 would be interesting but..... How valuable will it be.

I would much rather see if Reef could get us Something like Rose/Fizer and an exchange of firsts. I mean, Reef is far better than Walker.

However, if a deal like this goes down, We might get Drobjnak... But then Expect Theo to be traded too.

What we will be left with is Terry plus a whole lot of players that can be traded or cut and draft picks. i.e. Rebuild.

1.)

Terry/Dickau

???/Hansen

Diaw/CC

SAR/Hendu

Theo/Nazr

2.)

Terry/Dickau

Barry/Hansen

Williams/Diaw

Radmon/Hendu

Ratliff/Nazr

So you think the 1st team is better than the 2nd? The 2nd team has way more depth, more experience, more scoring options, isn't worse defensively, Williams fills in the Newble role to perfection, plus we get a Bulls 1st rounder? I'm actually disappointed that this isn't an actual rumor.

I HAVE to think there are better offers out there for Reef than this. I'd do the deal (or similar) for Theo in a heartbeat but you don't trade a guy as talented as Reef and get that little in return.

We are not going to do anything of importance until 05/06 even if we make that trade. Being $10 million under the cap won't be enough to get the guy we want and get enough quality players to go around him. That $10 million in caproom next year assumes that we don't resign Barry and we don't sign anyone beyond this season at the MCE. That means no Drobnjak or anyone else.

The bottom line is that I think we would be better off keeping Reef, resigning JT and trying to find a franchise player in 05/06 via free agency, trade or the draft. In my opinion, Reef and JT are not good enough to build around but both are high character guys who are talented enough to be terrific compliments to THE MAN, whoever THE MAN might be.

Brent Barry/Theo Ratliff/Radmon and Williams

aren't scorers.They aren't go-to type of guys

and neither is JT.

Brent Barry would be our second leading scorer

at 10.4PPG.Sorry if that doesn't impress me.

Eric Williams is not a legit nba starter.We still

have a sucky bench.I don't see all this depth

that you are talking about.

Barry/Radmon aren't better than Reef... and Eric

Williams type of players can be found in the

CBA.

Dolfan,

You kind of contradicted yourself in two statements.....

"players do like Atlanta. They like the city and they like the team. [Contradiction] Once this team gets a good owner, a good coach, and starts playing together as a team with a good core of young players there will be plenty of FAs that want to play here."

I totally agree with your second sentence and I agree with only one part of your 1st sentence (They like the city), but they DO NOT like the TEAM.

Once we get an owner and identity and some hope for success in the NBA then yes FAs will want to come here ala The Atlanta Falcons. Right now that is not the case with this organization.

Right now players like the city because of the nightlife, women and the quality and price of land and property. It is an excellent place to raise a family and/or just have a good time if you are single.

Most players separate the two (living and team). A player would rather play for a winning team than have the easy living because basketball is their career. Now if they can get both then great.

Bottom line they like the City for other reasons than the Hawks....right now.

I hope that changes very quicky!!!