• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks are in position.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

to win about 30 games.

That's the truth of the matter. We are building a 30 game winner. If you look at what we have now... We have NO SF to speak of. We lack good defense. We lack good scoring. We only have 2 scoring options. Our Bench is weaker than it's ever been. And now we have made moves that said... "We will continue in the same direction."

I'm not mad or pessimistic... I'm just realistic.

Being realistic means that I realize:

JT/Diaw/CC/SAR/Theo will not win more than 30 games.

Being realistic means knowing that that squad has only one shooter.

Being realistic means knowing that that squad lacks ball handling and play making.

Being realistic means knowing that Stotts wasn't a coach who command respect because of his game plans.

The FA pool has dried up.

Best case scenerio is that we sign DJ... (a player who missed last year with a broken neck).

Realistically, this team is waiting for Draft day 2004. Maybe we can get Okafur or Howard or whoever is the name on everyone's lips. BUT realistically, we have to realize that it's not fair for us to rebuild with our current squad.

First I say, let's trade SAR for players or Players and Picks.

If we decide that JT is the truth and the way, then I suggest that we trade SAR to Chicago for Rose.

Maybe... SAR/Nazr to Chicago for Rose/Marshall.

This is a good deal in my estimation.

It allows Chicago to play:

Hinrich/Crawford/Pippen/SAR/Curry.

Secondly, I say, let's make a deal with Theo....

Theo/CC to Memphis for Lo/Persons...

Now.

We have a team.

JT/Persons/Rose/Marshall/Lo.

This team isn't great. But it isn't bad.

It's a Blue Collar team that has shooters and rebounders.

Rose runs the offense.

At the end of the year:

Person's numbers comes off the books.

Atleast there is football season to look forward too.

Theo should be traded...It's pointless to keep him.He

doesn't bring scoring or rebounding to the table. Lets

be honest, who really cares about blocked shots? You

get so few of them a game it really doesn't make a

huge difference.....

Being realistic means that I realize:

JT/Diaw/CC/SAR/Theo will not win more than 30 games"

If you were being realistic you wouldn't have CC in the starting lineup. Of course we're going to sign at least one of Stephen Jackson / Dion Glover / DJ / or any of the other swingmen free agents, almost any of which would start before CC. [censored] if things work right JT/Glove/Diaw/SAR/Theo could EASILY make the playoffs in the East. That's not to say it'll necessarily happen, but it's easily feasible. Stop acting like we'll start the season with 9 players and lose every game

And I wouldn't want Rose. I love watching the guy play, but he's almost as bad for team chemistry as Big Dog was. He wants to hold on to the ball too much. And I'm not sure Chicago would do that trade anyhow because they are trying to develop their big men, and have more depth up front than in the backcourt

squad? Not fair to whom? Reef? I don't understand. Reef will make over $13 million this year and almost $15 million next year to be a part of any rebuilding plans that we might have. I'd say that's MORE than fair. In addition, if it's not fair to Reef, why would it be fair to Rose? Rose has been a significant part of a team that was in the NBA Finals. Reef has never won more than 35 games in a season. Why would it be any more "fair" to Rose or anyone else than it would be to Reef?

That doesn't even take into account the fact that if we are rebuilding, why in the heck would we take Rose's longterm deal and Lo's longterm deal when we can be way under the cap in 05/06 by standing pat? It would be bad enough if the talent were equal but we are giving up more talent in both of your proposed deals. HORRIBLE deals!

Both reiterated the position that Jason Terry, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, and Theo Ratliff are a very solid core. Both feel that if they can get a couple of role players to put around those three, the team will be a good team.

Terry Stotts stated that keeping Jason Terry is big, and he talked about how much Terry improved during the second half of the season in running the team and having better shot selection. Terry Stotts also stated that he felt a big reason the Hawks played well at the end of the season was because Dion Glover played really well as a starter.

I think that, as time goes by, the greater the chance becomes that Atlanta resigns Dion Glover. Even though Stephen Jackson cancelled his visit with the Hawks, Billy Knight met with him in Las Vegas a couple of days ago. Knight is still pursuing him, so he remains a possibility.

Steve Smith is still a possibility. Most of you feel he is washed up, but he is capable of giving a team 20-25 minutes a game. The biggest plus he would bring is his knowledge and his leadership. This team lacks an on the floor leader, and Smith could give this team an on the floor leader.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

f you were being realistic you wouldn't have CC in the starting lineup. Of course we're going to sign at least one of Stephen Jackson / Dion Glover / DJ / or any of the other swingmen free agents, almost any of which would start before CC.

Not so quick.

I think Stephen Jackson has said it all by not coming. He's basically said his choice is either Denver or Utah (probably Utah). Dion is probably on the van to Denver if his agent has anything to do with it.

So that leaves DJ.

The first thing about Dj is Uncertainty about his injury.

The second thing about DJ and Diaw is that I often see either of these guys listed as Sf, but Diaw weighs 205. DJ weighs about 210-215. Neither of these guys have the weight and Muscle it takes to play SF.

So realistically that leaves CC. Say what you want about CC, he does have good size and decent fundamentals. If we go by Preseason play, he can probably beat out Dj or Diaw because he's got the strength and defense to play the position. Is he good? NO. But realistically, that's what we have.

• Premium Member

Well the simple mathematics is this.

At the end of 2 yrs, we will be a team that has won 30 games and who knows what we will do next year. If we still have Theo and SAR, do you think Both players will be willing to stay to see the end of rebuilding? I am willing to bet, if Theo had his way, he would leave today.

Judging from SAR's reaction to Grob being traded, I think he knows the smell of rebuilding as well and really isn't interested. Still, the main question surrounding SAR is HOW will we resign him? He's going to cost us alot either way. Do we offer him a 7 year deal worth 100 million dollars? The more important question... IS he worthy of that deal?

I like many of you look forward to getting Hendu and CC off the books. I look forward to a day when we can shop again. I just feel that it's a big waste of time being uncompetitive during that time.

The team we have in place, can't win 40 games. So we are lottery bound. I say, if we are that, why not go to the lottery with a purpose. The purpose of those deals I mentioned was to set the table to pick up one of the available Big men out of this years draft. Okafur, Howard, or Jin. Also, it was to build up parts where we are weak... Shooting and Ball handling.

Not really serious but that's the attitude I think we need to adopt... Because really, this waiting to die crap will not work.

that lineup to make the playoffs. Before that even becomes possible though, we have to resign Glover. I'm not even sure we can get that done at this point.

As for Diaw, if CC is healthy, I think he's a better player than Diaw is right now. That likely won't be the case in a year or two but RIGHT NOW, I think a healthy CC (I know that's an oxymoron) is a better player.

i won't go into all the logistics of why we will win more than 30. now i do agree that our bench is shallow and we need another playmaker as far as scoring..

BUT to say our passing won't be as good is preposterous. not only will it be as good, it will be much better... Hawks minus Ballhog + Diaw equal better passing..

Terry and SAR are young. there's no reason to drop good young talent for an aging rose because he happened to get to the finals once(along with everyone else on his team that helped him get there).. rose is a bit of a ball hog and would not help our team. cuz then we'd be looking for a power forward. sg's are easier to find that a good power forward...

• Premium Member

First of all you have to get Diaw off the bench. IF you get him off the bench as a SG, that's one thing.. BUT guess what.. We have NO shooters. Diaw sucks at shooting a good FG% regular. Not to mention his ability to shoot the three.

That means, our lineup becomes:

JT/Diaw/CC/SAR/Theo.

This lineup won't win many. That's just the bottom line. Diaw may help our ball handling problem, but look at this squad. We only have 2 scorers and one is a major ball handler. We only have 1 double digit rebounder. We only have one maybe 2 good defensive players. This team is sorry.

I love how you guys try to justify this team being good by saying we no longer have Big Dog.

If we had NEVER had Big Dog, this team would still be SORRY. That's the undeniable Bottom line. We are basically trying to rely on a Rookie to give us everything we need. God Bless CC, but CC doesn't have many skills. He's a BU player for sure. Theo is not a real C. This team is heading for 30 win ville. Maybe worst record in the league.