• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How about a forum for politics and current events?

Seano

That would seem a natural to me, especially given the fact that this is a Presidential election year. I mean that's a pretty big deal with a lot to talk about, with the whole future direction of our nation being at stake. And as it stands right now, there's nowhere on this site that's appropriate to discuss politics and/or current events. It's not allowed in the Lounge, as that seems to be a more lighthearted, entertainment based type forum. And every other forum on this site relates to sports.

But there's always a lot going on in the world, right now from the Presidential races to Hurricane Gustav to the US and Russia squaring off once again (and those topics are just for starters), and nowhere to discuss it here. I don't know if it's even possible to create another forum on the site- but if it were, it'd be really nice to talk about some of these things with fellow Hawks fans, many of whom I consider friends. And I can about guarantee that forum would get some use. Just a thought....

That would seem a natural to me, especially given the fact that this is a Presidential election year. I mean that's a pretty big deal with a lot to talk about, with the whole future direction of our nation being at stake. And as it stands right now, there's nowhere on this site that's appropriate to discuss politics and/or current events. It's not allowed in the Lounge, as that seems to be a more lighthearted, entertainment based type forum. And every other forum on this site relates to sports.

But there's always a lot going on in the world, right now from the Presidential races to Hurricane Gustav to the US and Russia squaring off once again (and those topics are just for starters), and nowhere to discuss it here. I don't know if it's even possible to create another forum on the site- but if it were, it'd be really nice to talk about some of these things with fellow Hawks fans, many of whom I consider friends. And I can about guarantee that forum would get some use. Just a thought....

There's not a forum for that because Chillz doesn't want that type of discussion on here because things always get out of hand. I understand that this is an election year and that there is plenty to talk about with current events but every time we have let the political or religious threads get started they get out of hand and people start personally attacking each other and it's much harsher than the personal attacks over basketball because people are usually pretty defensive about their religious and political beliefs.

With that being said, if Chillz reads this thread and decides he wants to change his stance I'd be happy to create a forum for that, but I really don't see it happening.

There's not a forum for that because Chillz doesn't want that type of discussion on here because things always get out of hand. I understand that this is an election year and that there is plenty to talk about with current events but every time we have let the political or religious threads get started they get out of hand and people start personally attacking each other and it's much harsher than the personal attacks over basketball because people are usually pretty defensive about their religious and political beliefs.

Dolf I think you are doing the right thing. I read the political blogs on the AJC and they all turn into personal attacks against ones race. I have read numerous political blogs on the net, and they always turn into personal attacks. It's sad that we live in a world where some people cannot get past the color of ones skin.

I like all of the members on the squawk, and I want our relationships to stay intact. I think the Hawks are going to make some noise this year, and I look forward to sharing comments with each and every one of you.

I'll be sending my donation through paypal next too.

Peace!!!!!

Dolf I think you are doing the right thing. I read the political blogs on the AJC and they all turn into personal attacks against ones race. I have read numerous political blogs on the net, and they always turn into personal attacks. It's sad that we live in a world where some people cannot get past the color of ones skin.

I like all of the members on the squawk, and I want our relationships to stay intact. I think the Hawks are going to make some noise this year, and I look forward to sharing comments with each and every one of you.

I'll be sending my donation through paypal next too.

Peace!!!!!

Thanks Lacsho I appreciate that. Luckily race hasn't been much of an issue around here ever since Blackhackdown was banned but I could definitely see some political discussions opening up some of that type of hate and it's just not worth it.

I'm all for it as long as there's someone to watch over the discussions and make sure things don't get out of hand where people attack each other, which sounds like it might eventually turn into. But there's no reason why we can't have any political or religious debates where we don't personally attack or intentionally offend each other.

I'm all for it as long as there's someone to watch over the discussions and make sure things don't get out of hand where people attack each other, which sounds like it might eventually turn into. But there's no reason why we can't have any political or religious debates where we don't personally attack or intentionally offend each other.

Sorry but yes there is a reason for it. There is a LONG history of it happening here and that's why it's not allowed and I highly doubt that Chillz will ever change his mind on that.

Well I have no interest in discussing religion personally. Religion is of the utmost personal importance to people (I mean really, could there be a more personal topic?), so to argue with someone over their religious preferences or beliefs is just totally uncalled for, out of place, and incredibly obnoxious and rude. It's all about respect, ya know? Respect enough for others to allow them their opinions and beliefs, even (and especially) when those beliefs conflict with your own. And respect for yourself as well, to allow others the freedom of their own opinions, without feeling personally threatened by that. That right there is called maturity.

So much of this is ego-based....you know, the mindset that "I've got to promote my viewpoints at ALL costs, and I don't give two sh*ts about what anyone else might believe, think, or have to say- and if I feel the need to fight or personally insult people while promoting my thoughts, well then so be it". You have to divorce that ego aspect from it, and separate the emotional part too, and try to discuss issues rationally and dispassionately. Again, that just comes down to respect for your fellow human beings. It's impossible to learn anything from anyone if one's mind is already completely closed.

I would not want a religious discussion forum in any way (for the reasons stated by Dolfan above- people just can't seem to restrain themselves and their baser instincts when it comes to discussing religion), but more a forum to talk about current events and news of a non-sports related nature. Again, it's just a suggestion. Fanhome used to have an excellent politics and current events forum, but unfortunately Fanhome bit the dust.

Well I have no interest in discussing religion personally. Religion is of the utmost personal importance to people (I mean really, could there be a more personal topic?), so to argue with someone over their religious preferences or beliefs is just totally uncalled for, out of place, and incredibly obnoxious and rude. It's all about respect, ya know? Respect enough for others to allow them their opinions and beliefs, even (and especially) when those beliefs conflict with your own. And respect for yourself as well, to allow others the freedom of their own opinions, without feeling personally threatened by that. That right there is called maturity.

So much of this is ego-based....you know, the mindset that "I've got to promote my viewpoints at ALL costs, and I don't give two sh*ts about what anyone else might believe, think, or have to say- and if I feel the need to fight or personally insult people while promoting my thoughts, well then so be it". You have to divorce that ego aspect from it, and separate the emotional part too, and try to discuss issues rationally and dispassionately. Again, that just comes down to respect for your fellow human beings. It's impossible to learn anything from anyone if one's mind is already completely closed.

I would not want a religious discussion forum in any way (for the reasons stated by Dolfan above- people just can't seem to restrain themselves and their baser instincts when it comes to discussing religion), but more a forum to talk about current events and news of a non-sports related nature. Again, it's just a suggestion. Fanhome used to have an excellent politics and current events forum, but unfortunately Fanhome bit the dust.

Seano, you could use your thoughts on the religious aspect and apply them towards politics, although to a lesser degree. The same problems exist with political discussion though because it doesn't take long before someone starts saying Bush is a murderer, Barrack is a racist, McCain is a "", etc. and then it quickly spirals out of control. I know that every time Chillz has let these types of discussions take place that they get out of hand and people quickly start with the personal attacks.