• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No respect from ESPN power rankings

capstone21

Everyone is saying that the East is so much better but we didn't do much except replace Childress. I disagree with the ranking as well, but I'm not surprised by the low expectations.

They had us ranked 22nd behind Bobcats, Bulls, Bucks and Washington.

Yes, we lost Childress but we have more then replaced him. We took the defending champions to 7 games and our guys our hungry. How can we be ranked 22nd?

Stein throws in the addendum that:

"It is not -- repeat, not -- a predicted order of finish. How last season ended and how good a team is projected to be in 2008-09 are only part of the equation at this early stage. How each team fared with its summertime dealings factors in as well, along with the usual dash of totally subjective whim from the committee (of one).

"

In other words, it is more a momentum sort of thing than it is a prediction of rank... or a cop out to write whatever he wants.

Yes, we lost Childress but we have more then replaced him. We took the defending champions to 7 games and our guys our hungry. How can we be ranked 22nd?

The teams that have passed the Hawks in the rankings all have made major additions, either draft, trades, FA or simply getting people healthy again. At this point in the season, Stein is writing basically assuming certain people will be as good as we expect them to be. Of course, there will be busts, and so the rankings will be reevaluated accordingly. Rose (bulls), larry brown (bobcats), Jefferson (bucks) and the wizards (Arenas said to be back by Dec.) all look better on paper than what the hawks did, but it is a near certainty that at least one of these moves will not pan out (I'd bet on Brown- the guy has been living off name recognition and merely cashing paychecks for almost 5 years now).

In any case, this past week in college football is a great example of why preseason rankings are worthless. Heck, this time last year only one "espn expert" thought the celtics would win the east, no one thought they would win the title, and a similar thing with the lakers. In fact, most of them thought the bulls would be the key contender in the east.

We finished with the 19th best record last year.

We lost our 6th man and replaced him with a guy who isn't quite as good.

We added no other impact players.

We re-signed our garbage coach.

I don't think it's outrageous that 3 teams could pass us. Sure you could write an optimistic outlook that has us surging way higher, but this is not an outrageous prediction. I don't think we'll be quite that bad (not behind Milwaukee and Charlotte), but it's a definite possibility. I wouldn't gamble on us when our coach doesn't even know how to play to our strengths after 4 years.