• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Raiders to release DeAngelo Hall on Wednesday

D.R.P.

Sources: Raiders look at releasing CB Hall as soon as Wednesday

By Chris Mortensen and John Clayton

ESPN.com

Angered by the Oakland Raiders' 2-6 start, team owner Al Davis asked his front office staff to explore the possibility of releasing several players, including cornerback DeAngelo Hall, according to multiple sources.

The Raiders are expected to release Hall on Wednesday, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The process started on Monday, a day after the Raiders' embarrassing 24-0 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Davis, looking ahead to rest of the season and to 2009, asked his staff to study a list of potential players who could be let go before the end of the week or after the season, sources said.

One source said the list included more than a dozen names. The Raiders' front-office staff studied the cap consequences of releasing high-priced veteran players. He also wanted his staff to see if other teams might claim any of these players on waivers.

The team was planning on making the move to release Hall on Tuesday before holding off, according to NFL.com. The Raiders have paid Hall $8 million for eight games, and also gave Atlanta a second-round pick for his services.

NFL.com reported the move to waive him now helps the Raiders avoid paying Hall $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract.

Hall has 48 tackles and three interceptions for the Raiders, including a season-high eight tackles last week against the Falcons.

Hall isn't the only Raider under consideration for release. Wide receiver Javon Walker received an $11 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary this year, but he has only 13 catches in his first seven games with the Raiders. The other players on Davis' list are unknown.

At his Monday press conference, interim Raiders coach Tom Cable said he was thinking of making more changes in the starting lineup. Since taking over for Lane Kiffin, Cable has benched wide receiver Ronald Curry and safety Michael Huff. If Davis gets his way, some changes might be permanent.

If Hall gets released I bet the Cowboys jump all over that....another clown to join the circus in big D

well you figure that if you can't make it with the Raiders then your only options in the NFL are probably with the Bengals or the Cowboys.

What a shame that such a talented athlete has been such a turd in the NFL. And I seem to remember a few people on here last year talking about how Hall was on his way to the Hall of Fame.

More like hall of shame.

Heard a Falcon interviewed who said the Raider players were telling them to take it easy on them. Didn't have to play so hard. It was pretty apparent they had given up and Davis won't stand for that.

I lived out there when they won two Super Bowls and the Raider mystic was magical. It's fallen a long way. And Hall's mouth won't help him when he looks for a new job.

Thank goodness.

FALCONS REPORT: Hall ‘not in our plans,’ Smith says

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, November 07, 2008

Flowery Branch —- Cornerback DeAngelo Hall will not be pursued by the Falcons after he cleared waivers Thursday.

“That’s not in our plans,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said after Thursday’s practice.

Hall, a former Falcon, was waived by Oakland on Wednesday after playing only eight games. The Falcons traded him to the Raiders in March for a second- and fifth-round draft pick.

The second-round pick was used by the Falcons to move back in the first round of this year’s draft to pick left tackle Sam Baker with the 21st overall pick. The fifth- rounder is a 2009 pick.

Hall was drafted by the Falcons with the eighth overall pick in the 2004 draft. He played four seasons for the Falcons and made two Pro Bowls.

But he wore out his welcome here, and the new administration has moved on.

“When [general manager] Thomas [Dimitroff] and I sat down back in February, putting our roster [together], we made a number of critical decisions,” Smith said. “We feel good about the direction that we are going. … We feel very good about where we are at.”

Bush update

New Orleans running back Reggie Bush hasn’t returned to practice, but his recovery from knee surgery is progressing ahead of schedule, according to Saints coach Sean Payton.

“He’s been rehabbing well,” Payton said. “Fortunately for him and us. The procedure wasn’t as complicated or severe as maybe we initially thought when he had the scope done. … His rehab is going well and he’s getting close.”

It remains unclear if Bush will return for Sunday’s game against the Falcons.

Peelle coming free

Tight end Justin Peelle caught a season-high three passes for 33 yards last week against Oakland.

“Teams are starting to focus on [the wide receivers],” Peelle said. “I’ve just starting coming open. The offensive line is giving Matt [Ryan] a bunch of time, and he’s been able to go through his reads. He’s been able to find me a couple of times.”

Peelle (eight catches) and tight end Ben Hartsock (three catches) are used primarily as blockers. When they get a pass thrown their way, they get excited.

“You always like to catch the ball, but we know why we are here,” Peelle said. “The basis of this offense is to run the ball, and Ben and I are a big part of that. That’s a role, but it’s nice to get the ball every so often and get to run a little bit.”

Foxworth the starter

Domonique Foxworth has moved ahead of Brent Grimes at left cornerback.

“Foxworth is our starter,” Smith said. “Grimes is battling through his [knee] issues. He’s doing a nice job in trying to get back.”

Grimes has been relegated to special teams only in the past two games because of a sprained posterior crucial ligament in his right knee.

“It’s getting better; it’s just taking a lot longer than I thought, so it’s a little frustrating,” said Grimes, who hurt his knee against Chicago. “To play corner in the NFL, you’ve got to be 100 percent. You can’t be out there just limping around. I’m just trying to get better. I’m doing what I can on special teams and paying attention to film. I’m ready if I have to go, but …”

Shifting tackles

When Jerious Norwood rushed for his 12-yard touchdown against the Raiders, Tyson Clabo had lined up at left tackle, rather than his usual right tackle position. Todd Weiner shifted over to the right side.

The Falcons aren’t afraid to move players around up front to create mismatches. They’ve been using an “unbalanced formation” throughout the year, where Clabo moves from right to left tackle and Weiner shifts from tackle to tight end so they have tackles side by side. That gives them a power advantage to run behind.

Last week the Falcons added a shift to the unbalanced formation moving into it at the line of scrimmage just prior to the snap.

“It’s something we do as a change-up to shift,” Clabo said. “It just gives them something else to think about. Anything you can do to make things a little harder on defenses.”

Thank goodness.

FALCONS REPORT: Hall ‘not in our plans,’ Smith says

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, November 07, 2008

Flowery Branch —- Cornerback DeAngelo Hall will not be pursued by the Falcons after he cleared waivers Thursday.

“That’s not in our plans,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said after Thursday’s practice.

Hall, a former Falcon, was waived by Oakland on Wednesday after playing only eight games. The Falcons traded him to the Raiders in March for a second- and fifth-round draft pick.

The second-round pick was used by the Falcons to move back in the first round of this year’s draft to pick left tackle Sam Baker with the 21st overall pick. The fifth- rounder is a 2009 pick.

Hall was drafted by the Falcons with the eighth overall pick in the 2004 draft. He played four seasons for the Falcons and made two Pro Bowls.

But he wore out his welcome here, and the new administration has moved on.

“When [general manager] Thomas [Dimitroff] and I sat down back in February, putting our roster [together], we made a number of critical decisions,” Smith said. “We feel good about the direction that we are going. … We feel very good about where we are at.”

Bush update

New Orleans running back Reggie Bush hasn’t returned to practice, but his recovery from knee surgery is progressing ahead of schedule, according to Saints coach Sean Payton.

“He’s been rehabbing well,” Payton said. “Fortunately for him and us. The procedure wasn’t as complicated or severe as maybe we initially thought when he had the scope done. … His rehab is going well and he’s getting close.”

It remains unclear if Bush will return for Sunday’s game against the Falcons.

Peelle coming free

Tight end Justin Peelle caught a season-high three passes for 33 yards last week against Oakland.

“Teams are starting to focus on [the wide receivers],” Peelle said. “I’ve just starting coming open. The offensive line is giving Matt [Ryan] a bunch of time, and he’s been able to go through his reads. He’s been able to find me a couple of times.”

Peelle (eight catches) and tight end Ben Hartsock (three catches) are used primarily as blockers. When they get a pass thrown their way, they get excited.

“You always like to catch the ball, but we know why we are here,” Peelle said. “The basis of this offense is to run the ball, and Ben and I are a big part of that. That’s a role, but it’s nice to get the ball every so often and get to run a little bit.”

Foxworth the starter

Domonique Foxworth has moved ahead of Brent Grimes at left cornerback.

“Foxworth is our starter,” Smith said. “Grimes is battling through his [knee] issues. He’s doing a nice job in trying to get back.”

Grimes has been relegated to special teams only in the past two games because of a sprained posterior crucial ligament in his right knee.

“It’s getting better; it’s just taking a lot longer than I thought, so it’s a little frustrating,” said Grimes, who hurt his knee against Chicago. “To play corner in the NFL, you’ve got to be 100 percent. You can’t be out there just limping around. I’m just trying to get better. I’m doing what I can on special teams and paying attention to film. I’m ready if I have to go, but …”

Shifting tackles

When Jerious Norwood rushed for his 12-yard touchdown against the Raiders, Tyson Clabo had lined up at left tackle, rather than his usual right tackle position. Todd Weiner shifted over to the right side.

The Falcons aren’t afraid to move players around up front to create mismatches. They’ve been using an “unbalanced formation” throughout the year, where Clabo moves from right to left tackle and Weiner shifts from tackle to tight end so they have tackles side by side. That gives them a power advantage to run behind.

Last week the Falcons added a shift to the unbalanced formation moving into it at the line of scrimmage just prior to the snap.

“It’s something we do as a change-up to shift,” Clabo said. “It just gives them something else to think about. Anything you can do to make things a little harder on defenses.”

More like hall of shame.

Heard a Falcon interviewed who said the Raider players were telling them to take it easy on them. Didn't have to play so hard. It was pretty apparent they had given up and Davis won't stand for that.

I lived out there when they won two Super Bowls and the Raider mystic was magical. It's fallen a long way. And Hall's mouth won't help him when he looks for a new job.

Athlete's like him shouldn't burn bridges until their career is over. Looks bad on the resume. I'm so glad he's no longer an Atlanta Falcon.