• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Joe Johnson a Superstar?

dthomas34

usually if u gotta ask if someone is a superstar then most likely they arent. LeBron, Kobe, KG, CP3, Deron Williams, Melo, T-Mac, Pierce, Howard, and a few more players..they are known superstars. but to me, JJ is just as good as some of these guys..thats why I would consider him to be an underrated star. The guy can put up the numbers like anyone else but he isnt as flashy and doesnt put asses in the seats like some of these other guys do...does that matter?? no it shouldnt matter. last yr against the Celtics in the playoffs, JJ showed that he can play against anyone...he stepped up and embarrassed Ray Allen in the 4th quarter of an important game and now is leading an unbeaten Hawks team. I think he has yet to play his best ball if u ask me..we'll see. Oh yea and he looks like he may be an MVP candidate this yr too! gotta love JJ!!!! lol

P.S. Josh Smith will be a star too..just a matter of time

usually if u gotta ask if someone is a superstar then most likely they arent. LeBron, Kobe, KG, CP3, Deron Williams, Melo, T-Mac, Pierce, Howard, and a few more players..they are known superstars. but to me, JJ is just as good as some of these guys..thats why I would consider him to be an underrated star. The guy can put up the numbers like anyone else but he isnt as flashy and doesnt put asses in the seats like some of these other guys do...does that matter?? no it shouldnt matter. last yr against the Celtics in the playoffs, JJ showed that he can play against anyone...he stepped up and embarrassed Ray Allen in the 4th quarter of an important game and now is leading an unbeaten Hawks team. I think he has yet to play his best ball if u ask me..we'll see. Oh yea and he looks like he may be an MVP candidate this yr too! gotta love JJ!!!! lol

P.S. Josh Smith will be a star too..just a matter of time

I don't think that Deron Williams is a superstar. He's a very good PG but he's arguably not even the best player on his team.

I'd also say that if you're going to consider Paul Pierce a superstar then JJ definitely deserves to be in the conversation with him. I don't see much difference between the two except that Pierce is a jackass with a big mouth and JJ is a quiet man who goes about his business and does things the right way.

I don't think that Deron Williams is a superstar. He's a very good PG but he's arguably not even the best player on his team.

I'd also say that if you're going to consider Paul Pierce a superstar then JJ definitely deserves to be in the conversation with him. I don't see much difference between the two except that Pierce is a jackass with a big mouth and JJ is a quiet man who goes about his business and does things the right way.

Having a big mouth gets you on TV...and Pierce WAS a Finals MVP, which JJ hasn't even had a chance at yet. That does a lot for your profile.

Being a Superstar is in reality more about being noticed and talked about than how solid your play is. But that's just my definition, I suppose.

The truth is, everytime the Lakers, Cavaliers, or Hornets play, you can turn on Sportscenter that night and see a highlight from Kobe, Lebron, or CP3, even if they didn't play well. And every other day, there's people around the league talking about them.

"Is Kobe still the best player?" "Can Lebron lead a team to a championship?" etcetera.

We are too largely ignored as a sports town to have any superstars-we've only had about three in the history of Atlanta sports. Hank Aaron, Dominique (and he was never given his full props) and Michael Vick.

Unfortunately in our Youtube/ESPN Highlight Sports World, it's all about the sound bite or big play so a lot of guys who should receive superstar attention don't.

You also have to play in a big market. That's why we see the Boston's, L.A's, New York players (not just basketball, but every sport) receive so much coverage.

And if you don't have that going for you, you either have to act a fool or get in trouble.

Look at Clinton Portis and his "costume" interviews with the Redskins. Not a superstar.

Pacman Jones - Not a Superstar.

Hank Aaron's talent and longevity was so undeniable that people couldn't pass him by in the superstar conversation even though he never sought the attention.

If Nique were playing now, he'd be one of the biggest stars in the league (very comparable to when Vince Carter came in the league and the hype that followed him)

And Mike Vick was breaking the rules of what a qb was supposed to do.

But Atlanta sports teams have had other superstars. Namely the Big 3 of the Braves. Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz. But their biggest downfall was their position. They weren't seen every game so out of sight, out of mind. But they were among the greatest pitchers of their generation.

If the Hawks begin to win consistantly, and JJ continues to put up all-star #'s, he'll get more credit and attention. Will he ever be considered a Superstar? No, he doesn't have the flashy dunks or plays that LBJ or Kobe has. He doesn't get himself in trouble nor does he call attention upon himself. It's not an indictment of Joe, in fact it's a compliment. I'll take him and as many other guys like him that I can get my hands on rather than the generation of players that we have now.

Edited by Atlsportfanz

If the Hawks begin to win consistantly, and JJ continues to put up all-star #'s, he'll get more credit and attention. Will he ever be considered a Superstar? No, he doesn't have the flashy dunks or plays that LBJ or Kobe has. He doesn't get himself in trouble nor does he call attention upon himself. It's not an indictment of Joe, in fact it's a compliment. I'll take him and as many other guys like him that I can get my hands on rather than the generation of players that we have now.

To be fair to Kobe (one of my least favorite players), Lebron, and Chris Paul - those guys are better players than Joe even now. Well, Joe is playing on the same level as Kobe right now, but last season Joe just didn't have the impact of a Lebron type guy. Bron might be flashier than Joe but he's also putting up way better numbers (which is saying something, but 28-9-7 is pretty disgusting) and did so last season as well so if he's recognized for it, I don't have a problem with that.

I have a problem if a guy like VC or Carmelo gets a lot more attention than Joe, neither of those guys is an MVP candidate like the above 3 but both get more play than Joe (well, not this season) because of their names.

Please elaborate, dolfan...D-Will is the 2nd best PG in the game right now. That alone is superstardom.

Who's better than him on the Jazz? Boozer? Please.

Please elaborate, dolfan...D-Will is the 2nd best PG in the game right now. That alone is superstardom.

Who's better than him on the Jazz? Boozer? Please.

I like Deron Williams and I'm a big fan but he's not a superstar. He's certainly a star and MAYBE the 2nd best PG depending on how you rank Steve Nash.

Yes Deron is a better player than Boozer but it's not by much. Last year Deron was a 19/10.5 guy while Boozer was a 21/10.5 guy. Depending on who you ask either of those guys could be considered more valuable and a better player.