• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good stuff in todays AJC

coachx

Theo states he wants verteran teamates, particularlly Steve Smith. Knight said Smith was being considered along with free agents Stephen Jackson, Jim Jackson, Voshon Lenoard, and Dion Glover.

Lenoard off the bench with with either Glover or Stephen Jackson starting would be ideal. The Nuggets have interest in Stephen Jackson and Glover. Even though both are being considered by the Nuggets they probably will not sign them both.

I see Glover and Lenoard in Hawks jerseys next year. Lenoard's shooting is desperately needed on this team.

Ratliff's plea: Hawks must sign veterans

By MICHAEL LEE

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Hawks center Theo Ratliff is expected to come home today from New York, where he played in the EBC streetball tournament in Rucker Park. He said he plans to congratulate Hawks coach Terry Stotts and general manager Billy Knight, now that the two have been retained.

Ratliff also likely will make this request of Knight: Bring in some veterans.

"We have had all young guys here. When you try to have all young guys lead your team, it's a disaster," Ratliff said. "We need a veteran guy at the point guard or the [shooting] guard."

Ratliff, 30, will be entering his ninth season as a pro. He led the league in blocked shots for the second time in his career with 3.23 rejections per game and averaged 8.7 points, 7.5 rebounds in 81 games -- the most he has played in five seasons. He admits that losing in Atlanta the past two seasons has been difficult.

"You want to win, be competitive and play the game the way it's supposed to be played," Ratliff said. "I don't think that's been stressed enough since I've been here. With a veteran guy, you have somebody else to speak up when things aren't going right. Not just me. It doesn't work if it's just me all the time."

One possibility Ratliff suggested was free agent and former Hawk Steve Smith, who recently won a championship ring with the San Antonio Spurs.

"He knows the game, what it takes to win -- the extra things it takes to be a better team," Ratliff said.

Contacted by phone in his hometown of Detroit, Smith reiterated his interest in returning to the Hawks, especially since they finally have some structure in place despite delays in the sale of the team. Smith has had talks with Denver and Miami, but he said, "I still have the most interest in Atlanta."

"Before, everybody didn't know what was going on," Smith said. "[Now that] Billy is secure, they can move forward."

Hawks forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim also has endorsed the return of Smith, who has averaged 15.5 points in 12 seasons.

The Hawks have huge holes at small forward and shooting guard. Knight said Smith is being considered along with Stephen Jackson, Jim Jackson, Voshon Lenard and Dion Glover.

"We know all about Smitty, but we have to prioritize everything, and Jason Terry is before Steve Smith," Knight said. "I spoke with Steve personally, and I told him that his role with the team would be different this time. It's possible but premature to talk about because other issues are more pressing."

Smith would like to sign a two- or three-year deal worth between $2 million and $4 million a season, but some teams may be reluctant to do so after Smith barely played with the Spurs in the second half of this past season.

"I know I can play," Smith said. "This would give me a chance to prove the doubters wrong. I don't have to start; I just want to come in and play."

Since Smith was dealt for Isaiah Rider in 1999, the Hawks have experienced one of the worst four-year stretches in franchise history (121-207).

"We went to the playoffs every year," Smith said of his five seasons with the Hawks. "We must've been doing something right when I was there."

That isn't the case now. Ratliff would like that to change.

"Established guys have that respect," said Ratliff. "They know their roles. They've been in all situations. That's the difference for winning teams."

I agree. You need some veteran presence. I don't see smitty producing much, but we need to pick up a veteran or two. I also imagine lenard and glove will be pursued

btw, am I the only one who has a hard time picturing Theo at the rucker tournament? doesn't seem right

I'm not sure if he ever did sign with Toronto but if he didn't, he's a guy I'd like to see starting at SG.

Starting veteran SG: Anthony Peeler/Jim Jackson

Backup veteran SG: Voshon Lenard/Steve Smith/Jon Barry

Young SG/SF: Glover/Johnson/Jackson

Could we sign 3 players?

J.Jackson/Smith/D.Johnson

Terry/Dickau

Jackson/Smith/Hansen

Diaw/Johnson

Reef/Hendu

Theo/Nazr

I'd then sign a PF/C for the minimum. (Like Holden or something)

I would not want J.Jackson back on this team. He was just about as bad a black hole than GRob. I always liked Peeler but I think he just signed with someone (I could be mistaken). I would love to have Smitty back on the team. I would sign him and S.Jackson.

JT/DD

S.Jackson/Smitty/Hansen

Diaw/Crawford

SAR/Hendu

Theo/Nazr

the starting lineup was

Terry (rookie year)

Rider

JJ

Hendu

Deke

So what choice did he have. Rider missed most of the year so we really had only one scorer.

He is a good all around player now who knows he is now a role player and his high scoreing days are over.

I would take him b/c he is strong enough to play sg & sf. However I would rather have Dion or Stephen Jackson b/c they are both 24 and could have break out years. Jackson maybe more consistent but like Smitty, he has bad knees and age won't help that any.

Bottom line we need a shooter and JJ, Smitty, and Lenoard are the only ones we can afford. Barry seems to be drawing more interest and more money b/c he is such a leader in the locker room.

I wouldnt love more to have Smitty back wearing a hawks uni. I would like very much to have Dion or Lenard as a Hawk neat year. We are definitely set at Center and Powerforward with Theo & Nazr at the Center spot and Reef and Hendu at the 4. Now we need some depth at the 3 and 2, we all are pretty sure JT will be re-sign and be our starting PG being backed-up by Dan Dickau, then we Diaw at the 2 or 3 and Hansen and thats basically it. We definitely need 2 veteran guys like Smitty and Lenard or also Dion would be a great addition.

Smitty has always been a favorite of mine. I was angry when they traded him in the first place.

Again a dumb move by Hawks management...trading their leading scorer away for a convict that had an attitude. Just a dumb move similar to trading Nique for Manning.

Now here we are 4 years removed and now we want him back. Wow this management is clueless!! We never should have gotten rid of him!!!

Steve was excellent when he played here and I would open my arms to get him back.

Now the only down side to this is that he has 4 more years of wear and tear on his body and knees. Will he hold up because we are going to have to play him heavy minutes because no one else.

I have always like Smitty's game and hope the Hawks REACQUIRE him. I would also try to get Leonard too.

That gives the hawks some scoring they lost with the departure of Glenn.

When you try to have all young guys lead your team, it's a disaster," Ratliff said. "We need a veteran guy at the point guard or the [shooting] guard."

Meaning a vet that can handle the ball and help run the

offense.....

""You want to win, be competitive and play the game the way it's supposed to be played," Ratliff said. "I don't think that's been stressed enough since I've been here."

AMEN! Theo is frustrated the same way I am. I'm tired of

seeing a team that is totally clueless and doesn't know

how to play correctly...

""Established guys have that respect," said Ratliff. "They know their roles. They've been in all situations. That's the difference for winning teams."

Knock on JT and Reef. And somepeople think Shareef

demands respect? People don't respect the losing that

most of the players here have brought.

We really need to trade Theo. There is no need to keep

him on a losing team.

That is not a knock on JT and Reef ...we have been a lousy team while JT and Reef have been here because we have surrounded them with young guards and swing players.....for the past three years if Theo was healthy and we had surrounded JT SAR and Theo with lets say Smitty JJ Walt Williams instead of DG DJ CC Nazr. we would be talking eastern coference finals and not worst franchise ever.