• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horfords defense is the key to us becoming and elite team

HawkItus

I've seen many threads on Hawks message boards about Big Al getting better on defense. Looking at Hollinger's Off/Def efficiency rankings it becomes evident to me he has to become a superior defensive player for us to challenge Cleveland and Boston. On offense we have 3 above average offensive players. JJ, MW, and Bibby. On many nights you can actually say JJ and Bibby are elite. Both can go 30+ if needed. On defense we have two above average defensive players. JJ and Smith. If we can get Horford as our third good defensive player our team will make that next jump. Thoughts?

Edited by sultanofatl

I think that it is equally important that we establish some low post game. I am hoping that with Smoove back our defense will get back to the level of the first few games. Over this long season though we are going to go cold on the jumpers. Right now we are living on them.

I think Joe could post up more too, I don't want to a light a fire in this thread by talking about Woody's offensive scheme, but it does appear that Joe could probably post up more. I guess right or wrong I think about last years Duke team that relied on the three pointer so much when they had no post presense. When you look at it like that though you have to play the hand that we have. If you are right and our defense does pick up we might be able to make up the difference with easy buckets.

The areas where we stepped up without Smoove was-

1)Horford's presence on defense- Just when we thought HOrford getting blocks didn't translate

2)Horford being agressive offensively. Already has as many 20 point games as he had all last seaosn.

3)Marvin Williams developing a 3 pointer to spread the defense and being agressive in spurts as well.

4)Zaza giving us solid big time minutes

5)Solo doing the same

If those things continue to happen alongside Joe, Bibby, and Smoove, this team can be REALLY, REALLY good.

• Moderators

I think Horford is already a good defensive player given his experience in the league. I'm sure it'll improve but probably not drastically. I disagree about having three above average offensive players. If you're going to put MW in there then I think you have to put Smoove there too unless you're just talking about shooting.

As far as challenging Boston and Cleveland I think our problem is really on offense. I don't see better defense from Al making that much difference against Lebron and Pierce

I think Horford is already a good defensive player given his experience in the league. I'm sure it'll improve but probably not drastically. I disagree about having three above average offensive players. If you're going to put MW in there then I think you have to put Smoove there too unless you're just talking about shooting.

As far as challenging Boston and Cleveland I think our problem is really on offense. I don't see better defense from Al making that much difference against Lebron and Pierce

If Horford can give the weakside help like he's stepped up without Josh, alongside Josh, it would be huge for our D. Maybe not rejecting a PP or Lebron, but certainly our overall D would be vastly improved

i agree its up to him as well as smoove. Al has to guard bigger players and thus it has gone 50/50. which is good i guess since he is undersized. smoove is a really good defender and im not worried about who smoove is bodying up. al worries me cause he gets in foul trouble and thats where things get hasty because zaza cant defend and solo to me is still skinny.

smoove is a above average offensive player along with joe and bibby...unless your talking about jump shooting abilities which i think you are.

Edited by hoodstar

You guys are pretty much getting my thoughts re: the offensive side of the ball. I don't include Smith because he doesn't play to his strengths consistently. Marvin on the other hand I think has really turned the corner. He puts himself in the right position game by game to most effectively help this team. His last second shots in the 4th quarter as a few examples. If Smoove would just learn to be a little more focused on the Offensive end, he would be an above average offensive player. But as I see it this isn't a dire need for us to be a great team. I don't feel Al is a good defender. I see too many second chance rebounds and early fouls as one poster already stated. I'm confident he will improve. But, we need him to do it this year.