• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I had a vision!

T21

I was thinking about our team, the current state of the franchise, and the future ahead... I came up with certain conclusions:

1. This current team has many limitations, which probably means that the best it could do is to win 50 games and advance to the second round of the playoffs, period! I'm sure that most of us are not happy with that?

2. I believe that we all realize that you're in this league to win it all! Let's be realistic and admit that this team, or some slightly enhanced version of it (that we could see in the future) won't get it done!

3. Knowing the above-mentioned is probably true, Hawks need to be active and make steps to build a winner or this generation will fall short of the ultimate goal!

4. These steps mean taking the risk! However, as long as we can calculate the risk and consciously make decisions, we can hit the jack-pot!

5. And this year's jack-pots are Blake Griffin and Ricky Rubio! Griffin is going to be a monster in this league (and very soon!), while Rubio is a unique talent, pass-first PG, with great BB IQ, vision...

6. You see where I'm aiming at?! I would do anything to make a trade that would land us 1 and 2 at this year's draft! We have all the right pieces!

7. The only untouchable player on our roster would be Al Horford (pure winner!)...

8. I guess that this move would also enable Hawks to quickly add all other necessary pieces, via free agency, to set truly winning foundation for years to come!

Your thoughts gentlemen?

I'm lost by what you mean with a "slightly enhanced version" of our team. We have good, young building blocks in place to be competitive in this generation already. I do agree with you that we are missing pieces though and we have to take a chance.

I like thinking outside the box, but I think you can take a risk on a player later in the first round or in the second and get great results from it. Look at it this way; we know we need a big defender in the paint (a TRUE center), and some PG help. Can we get this later on in the draft? Take a look at these draft picks I found from NBA history. . .

Bill Laimbeer - 65th overall

Steve Nash - 15th overall

Manu Ginobli - 57th overall

Kobe Bryant - 13th overall

John Stockton - 16th overall

There are many more examples like this, but you get the idea. Don't you think we can find a stud PG and C with a well calculated and thought out draft strategy? I'm hanging my hopes on two great picks in two first rounds, not a complete retooling of an already young franchise that has improved it's record four consecutive seasons.

I'm lost by what you mean with a "slightly enhanced version" of our team. We have good, young building blocks in place to be competitive in this generation already. I do agree with you that we are missing pieces though and we have to take a chance.

I like thinking outside the box, but I think you can take a risk on a player later in the first round or in the second and get great results from it. Look at it this way; we know we need a big defender in the paint (a TRUE center), and some PG help. Can we get this later on in the draft? Take a look at these draft picks I found from NBA history. . .

Bill Laimbeer - 65th overall

Steve Nash - 15th overall

Manu Ginobli - 57th overall

Kobe Bryant - 13th overall

John Stockton - 16th overall

There are many more examples like this, but you get the idea. Don't you think we can find a stud PG and C with a well calculated and thought out draft strategy? I'm hanging my hopes on two great picks in two first rounds, not a complete retooling of an already young franchise that has improved it's record four consecutive seasons.

I truly believe that Griffin and Rubio are outstanding talents, who will become superstars in the NBA and very soon! I don't think that any of the guys on our current roster fit that bill... Sure, JJ is an All-Star, Smoove is "kind of close" to that status, but that's it! I like the Hawks style of play, up-tempo, athleticism and all that... but in reality, if we played in the West... well, I don't think we would have made the PO's...

I wasn't suggesting complete re-tooling... I just felt that for JJ (whose contract ends in a year), Smoove, plus fillers, we could get outstanding players and still have financial flexibility to add very good FA's... That team would have the chance to win it all in 2-3 years... that was my only point!

I just brought this idea on the table because you don't get this kind of oportunity that often...

Has a team EVER traded the number overall pick in the draft ? I recall the Bulls trading Elton Brand for the #2 over all pick in Tyson Chandler back in 2001.............that did not work out too well for the Bulls.

I cannot recall trading the #1 pick overall every happening. Hoping for it seems like a waist of time. Much less trading for the #1 and #2 picks in the same year.

Now lets get back to reality.

5. And this year's jack-pots are Blake Griffin and Ricky Rubio! Griffin is going to be a monster in this league (and very soon!), while Rubio is a unique talent, pass-first PG, with great BB IQ, vision...

6. You see where I'm aiming at?! I would do anything to make a trade that would land us 1 and 2 at this year's draft! We have all the right pieces!

7. The only untouchable player on our roster would be Al Horford (pure winner!)...

Your thoughts gentlemen?

My first response was a two for one deal and a draft pick for Blake --- then I thought what three players we would have to part with to get Blake and I quickly said no way. It would probably take Marvin and Josh to shake away the #1 pick and there is no way the Hawks should do that. In fact If the draft is as deep as it looks we should be able to get a player in the mid first round. The Hawks need a big, a player 7'0" or better with solid defensive skills. This would make the Hawks significantly more competitive in the East.

I couldn't find any articles about a successful trade of a #1 overall pick in the NBA draft, but there are rumors about teams trying to trade in this draft. Don't trust the validity of this rumor, but . . .

http://www.protrade.com/content/DisplayArt...b9-43fdf92ea405

I also agree that Griffin and Rubio are hands down the outstanding talent in this year's draft class. However, do the Hawks have anyone that we are WILLING to trade in order to get the #1 pick? I can't see that happening. I have to side with coach on this one and say that hoping seems like a waste of time. I urge you to look deeper into the draft and find solid (maybe not outstanding) role players that would fill the holes in our squad. Having the right role players in the right roles will make everyone on the roster better and you will see a whole new team.

I disagree with coach about getting back to reality though. Insane ideas like this one (no offense) are the sign of an avid Hawks fan. It shows hunger and desire to see the team win. With more research though, I think you could catch another vision that could work out and would also be possible. In the mean time, I refuse to get back to reality myself. . . . . .I saw a vision of the Hawks winning it all in 2009!!!

GO HAWKS!!!

I do agree that this team is unlikely to be a perrenial contender without a talent upgrade. I also agree though, with the common sentiment on here that we aren't getting a top 2 pick.

I would trade any player on our team if I thought it made the team better though, so I guess I'm with you there.

The 1st round pick in the NBA draft is paid on the NBA pay scale for draft picks.

Griffith will make about $8 mill next season ! Its not like the NFL where they are so over paid that teams try to trade the #1 overall pick every year to no avail.

Why would a team want $20 mill in salary in place of the #1 pick that only makes $8 mill ! Especially when that player is Blake Griffith. Listen to yourselves...........take a step back................and look at the other team's point view. These Hawks goggles are nice in an ideological fantasy but get real !

That is why you never see the #1 pick get traded............that is whay I said get back to reality.

Oh, well............I knew I should not visit the board at times like this.

See you guys in the playoffs !

Edited by coachx

I truly believe that Griffin and Rubio are outstanding talents, who will become superstars in the NBA and very soon! I don't think that any of the guys on our current roster fit that bill... Sure, JJ is an All-Star, Smoove is "kind of close" to that status, but that's it! I like the Hawks style of play, up-tempo, athleticism and all that... but in reality, if we played in the West... well, I don't think we would have made the PO's...

I wasn't suggesting complete re-tooling... I just felt that for JJ (whose contract ends in a year), Smoove, plus fillers, we could get outstanding players and still have financial flexibility to add very good FA's... That team would have the chance to win it all in 2-3 years... that was my only point!

I just brought this idea on the table because you don't get this kind of oportunity that often...

Dude, Smoove and JJ cannot be traded for draft picks ! Give it up !

JJ will make $15 mill next year and Smoove will make $10 mill.

That means we have to take back roughly the same salary if they are traded. The #1 overall pick will make roughly $8 mill.

And yes a team does not get the chance to draft a Blake Griffin very often.......so why in the world would they trade it away ?

Dude, Smoove and JJ cannot be traded for draft picks ! Give it up !

JJ will make $15 mill next year and Smoove will make $10 mill.

That means we have to take back roughly the same salary if they are traded. The #1 overall pick will make roughly $8 mill.

And yes a team does not get the chance to draft a Blake Griffin very often.......so why in the world would they trade it away ?

Although I think Blake will be a beast so was Beasley and the year before Durant and Oden. Blake may or may not fair better than these players. My view is the opposite and that is why would the Hawks trade what they would have to trade to get Blake. JJ and Smoove for a first (Blake) ---- no way if I am the Hawks would I break up a young progressing team. I may be alone but I think if the Hawks can get a scrappy defensive minded 7'0" center who can control the boards they would be very competitive with Orlando, Boston and the Cavs. Yes I no where is that Center???

Edited by Highpozt2

• Premium Member
I couldn't find any articles about a successful trade of a #1 overall pick in the NBA draft, but there are rumors about teams trying to trade in this draft. Don't trust the validity of this rumor, but . . .

http://www.protrade.com/content/DisplayArt...b9-43fdf92ea405

I also agree that Griffin and Rubio are hands down the outstanding talent in this year's draft class. However, do the Hawks have anyone that we are WILLING to trade in order to get the #1 pick? I can't see that happening. I have to side with coach on this one and say that hoping seems like a waste of time. I urge you to look deeper into the draft and find solid (maybe not outstanding) role players that would fill the holes in our squad. Having the right role players in the right roles will make everyone on the roster better and you will see a whole new team.

I disagree with coach about getting back to reality though. Insane ideas like this one (no offense) are the sign of an avid Hawks fan. It shows hunger and desire to see the team win. With more research though, I think you could catch another vision that could work out and would also be possible. In the mean time, I refuse to get back to reality myself. . . . . .I saw a vision of the Hawks winning it all in 2009!!!

GO HAWKS!!!

Uhm... you guys need to check out Webber for Hardaway.

• Premium Member

I don't know what you guys are smoking? Maybe you're trying to go to TexasPete's house for his annual draft lottery party...

But.

I don't see Blake being a beast on the next level. I think he's an athletic big but will be consumed with foul trouble and a lack of size for most of his career.

This draft is not so inspiring. However, there are a ton of good Guards in this draft. Maybe AJ Price slips to us. Maybe Ty Lawson. Or dude out of Syracuse.

Thabeet is probably the best prize but even he needs a little work.

Webber for Hardaway. . . that's a 1st for a 3rd. Doesn't count for a twenty something, but thanks for the history lesson. I couldn't find an example when I looked. . .

There are a bunch of good guards in this draft. If we're being realistic, give up on Thabeet and get the best guard possible in the first round. Second round MUST go for a C with solid defense and rebounding. Take a look. There are a couple of those out there in the waiting. . .

• Premium Member
Webber for Hardaway. . . that's a 1st for a 3rd. Doesn't count for a twenty something, but thanks for the history lesson. I couldn't find an example when I looked. . .

There are a bunch of good guards in this draft. If we're being realistic, give up on Thabeet and get the best guard possible in the first round. Second round MUST go for a C with solid defense and rebounding. Take a look. There are a couple of those out there in the waiting. . .

I think it behooves us to find out what is expendable and what is a keeper this year and make hard decisions this offseason. Our draft is not going to change much. We never get lucky and get the Durants or the Mayos in the draft. We have to make use of all of our valuables. That means even Chillz. Maybe we can work something out with Washington. They have a lot of pieces and will have a firesale.

Who? Arenas? Haywood perhaps? The point is that we have to give up someone to get someone in a trade scenario. We have built a team (excluding the JJ monster trade) on a lot of draft picks. Who says our next C pickup won't turn out to be a player like picking up Horford?? I'm just saying that if Sund wants to sit tight and make moves, let him do it in the draft and if it doesn't work out we can trade before next year's deadline. It's worth playing it out like that. . .