• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ford gives the Hawks a B+

exodus

ATLANTA HAWKS GRADE: B+

Round 1: Jeff Teague (19)

Round 2: Sergiy Gladyr (49)

Analysis: The Hawks finally took a Wake Forest point guard -- too bad it was in 2009 instead of 2005.

Teague has a killer first step and can get to the basket, but there are questions about whether he's a point guard. On the other hand, he was ranked in our top five for much of the year, and had his team not crashed in the tournament or had he gone back to school for another year, he would have been a top-10 pick. So the Hawks got great value here.

As for Gladyr, he was one of my favorite players at the Reebok Eurocamp. He can shoot, is a good athlete and has a good feel for the game. In a few years, he could be a really good pick.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I give Chad Ford an F for his complete lack of creativity in making the same jokes over, and over, and over, and for being so wrong about Darko that nothing he says, EVER, should be taken seriously.

Here are some comments on Teague back in January.

1. Jeff Teague, PG, Wake Forest A few weeks ago, Teague was ranked in the 30s on our big board. Now, he's ranked No. 9 and there's still room for him to go higher. Teague's combination of speed, size, quickness and offensive firepower has won over a number of NBA executives. Scouts worried that Teague didn't really have the game of a point guard, but executives are now saying that it's his amazing ability to break down defenses that they are really after.

Remember, Jerryd Bayless also faced questions about his ability to play the point, but he went No. 11 in a loaded 2008 draft. And most of the execs I spoke with think Teague is already a better player than Bayless.

He's a joke. Who could we have picked that would have been better than Teague at that spot

He even admitted that Teague was considered a top 5-10 prospect at one point and probably for all intents and purposes would have been one if it wasn't for the Demon Deacons collapse in the post-season.

I give Chad Ford an F for his complete lack of creativity in making the same jokes over, and over, and over, and for being so wrong about Darko that nothing he says, EVER, should be taken seriously.

Ford's digs at the Hawks are very tiresome but the reality is that he has been in the right far more often than our front office. Given how much grief he has given the Hawks it is certainly noteworthy for him to give us a B+.

ATLANTA HAWKS GRADE: B+

Round 1: Jeff Teague (19)

Round 2: Sergiy Gladyr (49)

Analysis: The Hawks finally took a Wake Forest point guard -- too bad it was in 2009 instead of 2005.

Teague has a killer first step and can get to the basket, but there are questions about whether he's a point guard. On the other hand, he was ranked in our top five for much of the year, and had his team not crashed in the tournament or had he gone back to school for another year, he would have been a top-10 pick. So the Hawks got great value here.

As for Gladyr, he was one of my favorite players at the Reebok Eurocamp. He can shoot, is a good athlete and has a good feel for the game. In a few years, he could be a really good pick.

This is what I don't like about any so called experts giving out grades. He says we got a potential top 10 player at 19 and a young euro he likes a lot. Gives us a B+; but does not say who we could have taken to get his mythical A+.

Just half assed commentary is what this is. If I turned this in to a college professor, I would be lucky if he/she handed it back so I could fix it before giving me a big fat "F" lmao.....

He's a joke. Who could we have picked that would have been better than Teague at that spot

He even admitted that Teague was considered a top 5-10 prospect at one point and probably for all intents and purposes would have been one if it wasn't for the Demon Deacons collapse in the post-season.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You must have misundterstood the comments that Ford made back in January.

He is actually giving us credit for taking Teague.

• Moderators

Wake fell apart in late January after beating Duke and never really recovered, IMO.

January 21 Virginia Tech L 78-71 16-1 (3-1)

January 28 No. 1 Duke W 70-68 17-1 (4-1)

January 31 at Georgia Tech L 76-74 17-2 (4-2)

February 4 at Miami (FL) L 79-52 17-3 (4-3)

February 8 Boston College W 93-76 18-3 (5-3)

February 11 at North Carolina State L 82-76 18-4 (5-4)

Apparently, there was just too much playing time for the young man and he

was exausted at season's end.

With the Hawks head coach in charge of his playing time and his mistrust

of youth, especially rookies, we should have no worries about this.

:cheers:

When the Hawks traded 2 for 1, we opened up a roster spot for our draft pick.Guess our 2nd round pick will stay over seas for a few years and season. I like the idea of having

a young prospect that we have the rights to, costing nothing, just maturing for us to

pick up later.

Now, on to the free agent signings and picking up some undrafted prospects.

A long summer ahead before we really know what we will have come next season.

:hush:

just wondering, but did Chad Ford actually come out before the 2005 draft and say that we should have taken chris paul or deron williams?

Yes. He said that even though he had Marvin ranked higher that we would be better off taking Paul.

Ford's digs at the Hawks are very tiresome but the reality is that he has been in the right far more often than our front office. Given how much grief he has given the Hawks it is certainly noteworthy for him to give us a B+.

You can be right without being a boring, repetitive *ss about it, though. Then again, I tend to think that sportswriters like Ford are simply people who tried to be real journalists and couldn't hack it.

You can be right without being a boring, repetitive *ss about it, though. Then again, I tend to think that sportswriters like Ford are simply people who tried to be real journalists and couldn't hack it.

Bottom line is i would rather have a GM who is an *ss and is actually right consistently as opposed to a nice guy with a "plan" who is consistently wrong.

If Ford was making our draft picks for us for the last few years we would be far better off.

Bottom line is i would rather have a GM who is an *ss and is actually right consistently as opposed to a nice guy with a "plan" who is consistently wrong.

If Ford was making our draft picks for us for the last few years we would be far better off.

And some would be far worse off.

It is all the same though. Gets old that he was right about Marvin over Paul and Deron and Shelden over damn near anyone else. I think this was as good a draft we could have possibly done with our picks; and he gave us a B+ because of what we did three, four, five years ago under BK.

At least he said in previous drafts who we should have taken to back up his argument. He did not do that in this one. And even with all that, he still saw Marvin as a potential 20pt game player who should have been taken right after our pick. And he had Shelden in the top 10 to 12.

Was he right about us...sure. But he still missed the bus with his "positive lottery pick" evaluations of both Marvin and Shelden. As did 90% of the basketball world!

Sund is not BK. This draft was as good as we could have hoped for and Ford had NO recomendations on who we should have took to make it any better.....

Edited by Buzzard

Sorta. Lots of factors in there. It's true that if we had taken that ball-punching Wake PG, we would have been better. We also wouldn't have been picking near the same spots we did in following years, so who can say! For someone so brilliant at making draft picks, he hasn't been contracted by any NBA teams (to my knowledge.)

And some would be far worse off.

It is all the same though. Gets old that he was right about Marvin over Paul and Deron and Shelden over damn near anyone else. I think this was as good a draft we could have possibly done with our picks; and he gave us a B+ because of what we did three, four, five years ago under BK.

At least he said in previous drafts who we should have taken to back up his argument. He did not do that in this one. And even with all that, he still saw Marvin as a potential 20pt game player who should have been taken right after our pick. And he had Shelden in the top 10 to 12.

Was he right about us...sure. But he still missed the bus with his "positive lottery pick" evaluations of both Marvin and Shelden. As did 90% of the basketball world!

Sund is not BK. This draft was as good as we could have hoped for and Ford had NO recomendations on who we should have took to make it any better.....

I just don't understand your reasoning at all. You seem to be reacting as if he gave us a D+.

Secondly Ford is making calls on every single pick in the draft. Of course he will inevitably be off on some.

I just don't understand your reasoning at all. You seem to be reacting as if he gave us a D+.

Secondly Ford is making calls on every single pick in the draft. Of course he will inevitably be off on some.

Whenever Chad Ford says ANYTHING, EVER, just look at this quote:

"“Darko really is one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots an NBA three and plays with his back to the basket. So you can slot him at the 3, 4 or 5. Okay, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You’ve got to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back.”"

It never gets old.