• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

whatifsports: UNF Season 36

drzachary

Season 36 in the Peach Belt Conference (Div-II) begins with a nice surprise:

Robert Engstrom, my outgoing senior PF (and the best defender on my team by a mile) actually isn't leaving this year. He didn't really hit the books too hard in high school, so he missed his first year due to academic ineligibility. So he gets to play his fourth year of eligibility this year as a fifth-year senior!

Another nice surprise: Howard Berg didn't transfer. I expected him to, after all his whining.

So, instead of having huge holes in the backcourt and frontcourt, and SIX scholarships to fill, I have my five starters (assuming I don't land a stud at SG or SF), frontcourt depth, and only four schollies.

Here's my depth chart:

PG Ralph Norris (Soph) http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfi...amp;pid=1283791

SG Marc Thompson (Soph) http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfi...amp;pid=1283792

SF David Allman (Senior) http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfi...amp;pid=1255100

PF Robert Engstrom (Senior-5) http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfi...amp;pid=1204524

C Ted Starling (Senior) http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfi...amp;pid=1204525

PF John DuFour (Junior) http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfi...amp;pid=1256362

PF Howard Berg (Junior) http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfi...amp;pid=1256363

and C Mark Basile (Freshman) http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfi...amp;pid=1283793

will provide depth at PF and C.

I've started recruiting. This time around, I held all my money and didn't jump in til late, so I don't go broke again. I've targeted a smaller pool of players, much closer to home. I'm gambling on a few guys that could play at Div-I, so I'll see how that goes. So far, I've only thrown real money (campus visits, scouting trips, home visits) at a few top-tier guys, but I've been working the phones for all ~20 players, calling their coaches to see what sort of offense and defense they played in high school. Knowledge of the O/D isn't required coming into my program, but it would be a nice little bonus.

Next up, recruit responses!

Edited by drzachary

Your team's a bit short... no?

Height isn't as important at Div-II as the overall ratings. There aren't many 7-footers at this level.

Here's Cedric Johnson, projected for low Div-I, replying to my offer of a scholarship:

"Coach, I got this scholarship offer in the mail the other day and I just chuckled. I mean, the more I thought about playing at N. Florida, the more I laughed. Hysterically, on the floor, belly-laughing. I think I cried I started laughing so hard. Maybe the tears of laughter will be your final clue - I'm not coming to N. Florida.

Cedric Johnson"

http://whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/...amp;rid=1435942

Look at that smarmy little bastard. He has tremendous potential in perimeter shooting, speed, defense, ball handling and passing. Would be amazing on my team, but I have very little chance. Still, I toil.

Two other guys I'm looking hard at to be my backup point, with a much better chance of landing:

Michael O'Brien, PG:

http://whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/...spx?rid=1437366

Solid A in ball handling and passing, and a B+ in shooting. Good, not great speed.

And... the most intriguing prospect at PG:

William Harrison, PG:

http://whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/...amp;rid=1437718

First off, look at that ridiculous floppy hair. He is an A+ at handling the rock, and better than most Div-I players at passing. He is also very, very fast. However, he cannot shoot. At all. He can't defend well, but at least he knows the zone from high school.

Here is my dark horse recruit for SF:

Marko Duszynski, SF Russian Oaf:

http://whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/...amp;rid=1437303

Good all-around player. Looks like a goon. Doesn't excel in any one thing, but solid in all the categories you want for your SF. Could be a good redshirt candidate. I like that he can score in the low post as well as from the perimeter (most SFs outside of Div-I are only good at one or the other) and has a great FT% in high school.

I may have found my SF of the future.

As I mentioned, on a whim, I sent Alonso Camacho (my assistant coach) to the Ukraine, of all places, to scout a player. I'd heard that Marko Duzsynski of the Kiev Amateur Basketball Club had some interest in playing in the states, but little did I know how enthusiastic he'd be about my inquiries!

A quick call to his coach, Rudolphl Shilkuski, revealed that he did in fact play the triangle on his Kiev club. That's a big plus.

As for the man himself, recruiting began, as it so often does, with a letter. I sent him the typical packet that told him all about the UNF Ospreys. He replied in his charming broken English:

"Thanks you for sending package. Me still have many questions.

Marko Duszynski"

After I visited him at his home, he followed up with another email: "Visit help family know about N. Florida. I want play there."

Finally, after I extended a scholarship offer to him, he said to me in another letter, "I much want play at N. Florida. I must wait for sign before I say yes play basket in USA."

As far as I can tell.. he wants to sign with me. He doesn't have any other team on his radar at the moment. Cross your fingers for me! He could sign at any moment!

In addition to Marko, I extended an offer to William Richardson (non-shooting PG) and Michael O'Brien (shooting PG). At this moment, I'm #1 on both of their lists. I'll probably redshirt O'Brien if he's amenable to it. As luck would have it, Richardson ran the triangle and played the zone defense in high school, so he's ready for a few minutes off the bench.

Explain the game more in-depth. How realistic are the stats? Do you watch the games as they happen or are they simmed and you just see the box score? Is the $4.50 thing monthly or yearly? This game interests me.

Edit: LOL the broken up English is hilarious. "I much want play at N. Florida. I must wait for sign before I say yes play basket in USA." What he doesn't know how to say basketball so he has to say basket? rofl

IDK if I should buy this or OOTP X.

Edited by Libid21

Explain the game more in-depth. How realistic are the stats? Do you watch the games as they happen or are they simmed and you just see the box score? Is the $4.50 thing monthly or yearly? This game interests me.

Edit: LOL the broken up English is hilarious. "I much want play at N. Florida. I must wait for sign before I say yes play basket in USA." What he doesn't know how to say basketball so he has to say basket? rofl

IDK if I should buy this or OOTP X.

Realism.. hmm.. there is randomness in every game, but overall, it's the best sim around. You don't actually watch any games, they are merely simmed and then the results are given to you. You DO, however, get a detailed play by play that you can read, before seeing the final score. It's pretty suspenseful!

• Moderators
Realism.. hmm.. there is randomness in every game, but overall, it's the best sim around. You don't actually watch any games, they are merely simmed and then the results are given to you. You DO, however, get a detailed play by play that you can read, before seeing the final score. It's pretty suspenseful!

Can't you make in-game adjustments as well?

• Moderators
Here's Cedric Johnson, projected for low Div-I, replying to my offer of a scholarship:

"Coach, I got this scholarship offer in the mail the other day and I just chuckled. I mean, the more I thought about playing at N. Florida, the more I laughed. Hysterically, on the floor, belly-laughing. I think I cried I started laughing so hard. Maybe the tears of laughter will be your final clue - I'm not coming to N. Florida.

Cedric Johnson"

That is fantastic!

FYI - The links don't work for those of us not registered there so we miss out on the funky hair styles of future N Florida players.

That is fantastic!

FYI - The links don't work for those of us not registered there so we miss out on the funky hair styles of future N Florida players.

Oh, that sucks! They used to work. :( I'll see if I can put up a screengrab.

To answer your earlier question, you can set adjustments to be made in certain situations. The tempo can be adjusted, the defense can be told to sag in or out, intentional fouling rules, all sorts of things. You can set doubleteams based on "always" doubling a player or "double if leading scorer." Lots of options.

Finally, I have all four of my recruits signed. The last one was kind of a panic recruit, but should be a decent backup. I'll post writeups of them soon.

So, I have my scholarships filled, my depth charts laid out, my Xs and Os all planned out (Woody could learn a thing or two from me) and I have two exhibition games before the season starts.

My first exhibition game is on the road against a team that is slightly favored (Pfeiffer) and my second exhibition game is at home vs #9 Cameron. Unlike most games, where I try to decide what % of the plays I run for each player (my 'distro'), I set all of them to equal amounts. This way, I can see who my natural playmakers are. During the exhibition games, I can redshirt a player. I already tried redshirting my point guard with a good shot (Michael O'Brien) but he had this to say:

"Coach, I was a little upset when I heard that you were redshirting me this season.

I just don't think it's cool that you didn't say that I would be looking at a redshirt season when I got here.

Michael"

With that, I took a look at his attributes and noticed that his WE (work ethic) had nearly halved. Can't deal with that, so I restored his eligibility. I then approached Jason Smith (my middling career backup man for SG/SF/PG) with the redshirt paperwork. I haven't heard back how he'll take it, yet, but hopefully he's amenable.

Thus, my depth chart for the first game looks like this

PG Norris (SO) / Richardson (FR). Richardson is the non-shooting but highly skilled point guard, who already knows my system somewhat.

SG Thompson (SO) / Allman (SR) / O'Brien (FR). Thompson is my shooting PG from last year, Allman my SF to provide depth, and O'Brien you just met.

SF Allman (SR) / Duszynski (FR) / DuFour (JR). Allman, yeah. Duszynski is my Ukrainian wildcard, no idea what to expect. DuFour is a post guy, there for depth so Allman can go shoot at the SG spot.

PF Engstrom (SR-5) / DuFour (JR) / Berg (JR) / Basile (FR). Engstrom, the *stopper.* DuFour again, and Berg the whiner. Basile is getting his first taste of PT after being a redshirt last season, and he is HUNGRY.

C Starling (SR) / Berg (JR) / Basile (FR). Starling is a great post player and rebounder from last year.

As for this first game, I'm letting my guys play a 3-2 zone (3 perimeter, 2 interior) at a +1 setting, meaning they are sagging out to the perimeter a bit more than normal. This means less help for Engstrom and Starling inside, but Starling is a good defender and Engstrom is perfect. We'll see how this works! Usually, the 3-2 zone is killed if you don't have good rebounders, which I don't .. putting a lot of faith in Engstrom today.

My game sims sometime around 2pm today. Looking forward to seeing what happens!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump!

I am still coaching this team...but I have a new love: Hardball Dynasty. It makes Hoops Dynasty look like a child's plaything. It's pretty much taken over my life.

Don't keep us in suspense!

Season 36, in a nutshell:

The Ospreys came out strong in nonconference play, reaching a record of 9-1, and the sky seemed to be the limit. Seniors Ted Starling and Robert Engstrom pounded the ball inside, Marc Thompson SLOWLY developed an outside shot (though he had several games where he went 0-9 from 3) and the rookies held their own, especially Marko Duszynski, who showed a surprising touch from the perimeter.

My biggest weakness (lack of perimeter scoring) was exploited heavily in conference play, and we lost the first six games :( I clawed my way to an 8-8 conf record, finishing at 17-9 overall. I lost in the second round of the conf tourney, and my RPI was too low for an at-large berth in the National Tournament.

Starters' stats:

PG Ralph Norris, 5.8ppg, 4.8apg, 2.7TOpg

PG Marc Thompson, 9.3ppg, 2.8apg, 1.8TOpg (yep, had two PGs instead of a true off-guard ... wish I had coached a motion offense, and still might make the switch!)

SF David Allman 6.5ppg, 2.4rpg, .404FG% .353 FG3%

PF Robert Engstrom 6.7ppg, 5.3rpg, 1.4bpg .. among the conf leaders in BPG. I miss this guy.

C Ted Starling, 5.5ppg, 4.0rpg

The "3" in my 2-3 zone all graduated. My offseason recruiting goals (3 scholarships to fill) were to get 2 bigs to come off the bench (Season 36's Junior bench PFs became starters) and to get a real shooter.

Season 37 just began, and I can start a new thread on it.