• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jo. Smith Jersey(s)

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

A useless Q:, indeed, but what the heck, it's August...

If we somehow sign Joe (Joseph?) Smith... will both Joe & Josh have to sport their first+last names on their jerseys?

Abbreviations for "Josh" probably won't do much good, and I'm not sure Josh has a middle name with a differing initial (if so, hopefully it's not an "R").

Might the NBA allow for a "He Hate Me"-style "J-Smoove" above the #5? Could sell a few more jerseys that way, I imagine.

~lw3

A useless Q:, indeed, but what the heck, it's August...

If we somehow sign Joe (Joseph?) Smith... will both Joe & Josh have to sport their first+last names on their jerseys?

Abbreviations for "Josh" probably won't do much good, and I'm not sure Josh has a middle name with a differing initial (if so, hopefully it's not an "R").

Might the NBA allow for a "He Hate Me"-style "J-Smoove" above the #5? Could sell a few more jerseys that way, I imagine.

~lw3

No team abbreviates anymore. Think of the Pistons with both Wallaces, It's not the NFL or MLB, you can see everything on a player in the NBA down to their tattoos, hairstyles and oh yea face.

• Moderators

No team abbreviates anymore. Think of the Pistons with both Wallaces, It's not the NFL or MLB, you can see everything on a player in the NBA down to their tattoos, hairstyles and oh yea face.

Yep, you're exactly right, thanks! I could've sworn there used to be (B. Wallace/R. Wallace) but that was just the box scores, not the jerseys. They didn't precede initials on the Williams boys (Shellhead & Marvin) and not even the "Smiths" (Donta & Josh). It would be unneccessary for the very reasons you cited.

I was watching some old NBA game where "MARQUES" Johnson had his whole name in small caps on the back of a Bucks jersey (to distinguish himself from Mickey???) and that was where the thought came up. Obviously common sense eventually prevailed.

Yep, you're exactly right, thanks! I could've sworn there used to be (B. Wallace/R. Wallace) but that was just the box scores, not the jerseys. They didn't precede initials on the Williams boys (Shellhead & Marvin) and not even the "Smiths" (Donta & Josh). It would be unneccessary for the very reasons you cited.

I was watching some old NBA game where "MARQUES" Johnson had his whole name in small caps on the back of a Bucks jersey (to distinguish himself from Mickey???) and that was where the thought came up. Obviously common sense eventually prevailed.

In football one of the very few interesting things about early 2000's Cleveland Browns was when they had both Andre and Andra Davis playing for them and plastered across the back of their jerseys but I think even the NFL changed that rule. I think last year there wasn't an initial in front of Tom Brady's name (although he played all of 40 seconds) even though they had the TE Kyle Brady on the team. I just thought it was superstar rule but would still be used to distinguish between nobody players.