• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou responds to questions on his blog

DrReality

Sekou Smith

August 15th, 2009

11:08 pm

:

Q – Ownership - How and when do you see this issue being resolved once and for all? Assuming the ‘Spirit’ aquires uncontested control of the Hawks, do you feel they have the money, desire, and competency to build a championship franchise?

A — Before the month is out. I expect a verdict to come down basically any day. As for part two, I’m sure the desire is there and they are more than competent business people (or else they wouldn’t be in a position to own a team). That said, the Hawks aren’t going to spend like LA, Boston, Orlando and Cleveland. It’s not going to happen. They’re not playing with that kind of Monopoly money, and in truth, most teams in the league are not playing with that kind of cash.

Q – Do you think Woody can be an upper-echelon NBA coach?

A — Don’t know for sure what upper-echelon entails outside of owning a title or a win total in the Jerry Sloan, George Karl neighborhood. I think this is a huge year for Woody for lots of reasons, mostly because the roster will be about as sturdy as it’s been during his tenure. This is the year we find out if he can manipulate an entire team into playing at another level.

Q – How would you project the development of Al Horford and Josh Smith over the next two years?

A — They’re both going to continue to get better. If they keep working hard, they have at least three more years of climbing to do before worrying about any physical decay. Skills can always be improved but they’re only young for so long.

Q – Your opinion on Teague, and how you see the minutes at point guard divvied up this season. Will Crawford play significant minutes at point?

A — Teague has a chance to be a steal on the level of Jameer Nelson, for where he was picked in the draft. He needs at least 14-18 minutes a night as a rookie, at least, and I expect him to get that. Crawford could play some minutes there, but if everyone stays healthy the Hawks won’t need him as much there.

Q – Should we have a ‘hack a Shaq’ set ready when we face the dominate centers? Let Siler or Morris use their 6 fouls in a rotation with Al and Zaza.

A — No. There are only a handful of “dominant” centers to face in the league these days.

Q – Your opinion on the situation with JJ. When do you think the best time to negotiate an extension would be? What do you think would be ‘fair’ in terms of years and dollars?

A — Super smart move to try and lock him up now. This is the right time. And fair has nothing to do with it. You are worth whatever a team is willing to pay you in the NBA. Plain and simple.

Hope that helps.

Edited by DrReality

Thanks, Dr. Reality for the information. I found another question that a lot of us are interested in that Sekou answered:

Q: Are the Hawks going to sign Flip Murray for 2009-10?

A: I do not believe that will happen Bayou42. I’d love to be wrong on this one. But I do not believe that is in the cards

Edited by joeschmoe