Terry to the Pacers??

Diesel

• Premium Member

Hmm.

It's just a rumor... However, let's look at the possibilities.

Oneal announced before that if he were to come back, three players would have to be removed.... Artest. Mercer. And Tinsley.

Some say he was just joking. However, Mercer is already gone.

BUT, if we were to excercise a SNT with Indy...

Can you say:

Tinsley/Harrington for Terry?

It almost makes sense. Indy is not happy with it's current PG situation. Indy needs a scorer who can help out Oneal. JT is a good friend of Oneal's. JT idolized Isiah.

For us we get Harrington. First off, Harrington always scorches us.

However, Harrington could be a quality SF.

Tinsley could be a quality pure PG.

If this deal is done, I think it would be more of Stotts and Knight's wants than the Owner's wants. There is NO salary dump in this deal.

Tinsley/Diaw/Harrington/Reef/Theo.

I don't think we'd be through there. I think we'd consider a Theo trade.... But Harrington gives us a scorer. Nazr or Theo could bring us another in Person.

Nazr/CC for Person/Archibald.

Tinsley/Person/Harrington/Reef/Theo.

In reply to:

Oneal announced before that if he were to come back, three players would have to be removed.... Artest. Mercer. And Tinsley.

Actually I thought JOneal mentioned 4 players, Artest, Mercer, Harrington and Tinsley. In another article however he mentions how he has talked with Artest and feels confident they'll be together for a long time to come and their desires are on the same page.

So interesting enough, your proposed trade has the 2 "leftovers" going to us.

The thing is, there have been several trade rumors regarding Al Harrington and Walsh has gone on the record saying Al will not be traded and is as close to untouchable as it gets. Now I don't know what Bird has up his sleeves now he officially has taken over the GM reigns but I think it's a longshot that they'll trade Al.

Bender however, but who wants him?

• Premium Member

I think when you think about it from a practical standpt... Trading Harrington is their best move. Seriously, now that Miller is back, that leaves no real room for Harrington. The truth be known, Artest doesn't like playing SG, he likes playing Sf. Miller at SG, Artest at SF, JT at the PG, and Oneal at the PF. They almost have a good squad.

• Premium Member

My original trade idea was:

JT/Theo to Indy for Bender/Harrington/Tinsley/Foster/Jones/ and a 1st.

My thought was that Indy would love to have the best defensive front (Theo/Oneal/Artest) in the game.

For that privilage, they give up 2 cap space players (Foster/Bender). They also give up 3 guys with loads of potential and a 1st.

What we would have left is:

Tinsley/Jones/Harrington/SAR/Foster.

The thing about this squad is that it's not that bad. 2 main scorers in SAR/Harrington. A rebounder in Foster. An Outside Shooter in Jones and a Pure PG...

Defensively, we're not Indy. However, we would have a good balance. The other thing is that we would have 2 1st rounders. IF this team doesn't work out, we have a shot at

Splitter or the Russian or Jin or Okafur

and

A shot at

Paulding or Moore or Nelson.

At least I wouldn't do it unless they offered a package I couldn't refuse (Harrington/Artest or Harrington/Bender for JT/Nazr). I can see it now, we trade JT to Indy and watch him, JO, Artest, Bender and company TERRORIZE us for the next decade. No thanks!

As for Tinsley, his game is all right but I'm not a big fan. I'm not sure I would want him for free, let alone trade JT to get him.

• Premium Member

The more I think about it, the more I see the benefit for both teams.

I think Harrington would be a strong 3. Tinsley is the unknown. IF he can get Reef the Ball though, he would have more than done his job.

BUT you are correct, Nazr/CC for Person would have to be on the table. We would need good three point shooting. Without good three point shooting, it would be near impossible to open up the floor for Reef to score 24 a night.

The one thing that brings this rumor to life is that Knight and Walsh are old buddies. Depending on how much say Bird actually have I would call this deal beleivable.

Tinsley may have regressed a bit from his blazing intro into the league (remember his insane games at the beginning of his rookie year?) but he definitely has the mojo.

His shot needs a little work, however. He's one of the few available PGs I'd trade JT for.

• Premium Member

I think part of his decline was Isiah's coaching. I'm not saying that Isiah is a bad coach, I think that working with Stott's who is a hands on kind of guy and with an offense that would simply be get the ball to Reef in the post or Harrington or Person... I think he might develop into what everyone expected.

• Premium Member

I think Isiah is more of a go out and do it kind of coach. It's hard for me to believe that he does a lot of instruction. Probably more of directing and designation. Still though, one of his knocks coming out of college was that 1. he can't shoot. 2. It would be hard to get him to not be a NY streetballer. However, the same was said about Jason Kidd.

J Kidd. Tinsley does NOTHING as well as Kidd. He is smaller, slower, less-skilled and a terrible defender to boot. He is flashy and he handles the rock pretty well but he negates that by being so careless with the ball and by making poor decisions. I'd take Jason Williams (even at his salary) over Tinsley all day and twice on Sunday.

I still think Dickau will develop into a Steve Nash type of point guard, and Dickau showed a lot of improvement in his quickness during the summer league. Everyone knows he can shoot. Everyone knows he has great court vision. If he continues to improve his quickness, then he will be Steve Nash all over again.

Tinsley looks like an overhyped Jacque Vaughn.