• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smith/Ryan one of top combo's?

DrReality

Interesting idea but I think it is premature.

I realize it’s only their second season together. But it struck me that the Falcons now have one of the premier coach-QB duos in the NFL. Here’s my top 10. Feel free to argue.

They could retire now and still go down as all-time greats.

1. Bill Belichick-Tom Brady (New England): They stand alone. They’ve never had a losing season together and missed the playoffs only once (if you exclude last year when Brady was injured for 15 games). They’ve won three Super Bowls and went 18-0 two years ago until the title game loss to the New York Giants. When the Patriots lost last week, it was their first regular-season defeat with Brady starting since Dec. 10, 2006 (albeit he missed most of last year). Each should help induct the other into the Hall of Fame.

2. Andy Reid-Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia): I know. If I were in Philly, I’d be tied to a lamp post for this. The Eagles haven’t won a Super Bowl, and ultimately that’s how many define things. But they have been to five NFC title games (winning one) in a span of eight seasons, despite good but not great talent — certainly not on the offensive side of the ball. They’ve also endured despite working among arguably the most demanding/lunatic fan bases in the league.

3. Mike Tomlin-Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh): I balked at this initially. Tomlin inherited a great team and Roethlisberger is not a statistically great QB. But both have proven they know how to win. They won a Super Bowl in their second season. Players follow them. Chances are, they will follow them to more titles before they’re done.

4. Tom Coughlin-Eli Manning (N.Y. Giants): Again, the younger Manning’s statistical greatness can be debated. But he already has won a title. He wins games on the road (as in Dallas the other night) and he certainly works in concert with his coach. Coughlin has had the greatest career turnaround among NFL coaches since, well, Belichick.

5. Mike Smith-Matt Ryan (Falcons): Yes, it’s early. It has been only 18 regular season games. But both are off the charts in terms of commanding respect from others in the locker room, and it has been that way from the time they first stepped into Flowery Branch. Both took over in difficult circumstances, and we don’t need to detail that anymore. But expect Smith and Ryan to be staples of this organization for several seasons.

• Moderators

I don't know that Coughlin and Eli would make my top 10 list. I don't believe in them as being much more than above average. Definitely not elite for me.

I hope Ryan and Smith justify that ranking. It is very early - all signs encouraging, yes - but very early.