• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Replacement Refs

macdaddy

• Moderators

So it looks like the refs are locked out and we'll be playing the season with replacements. The question is will the games be called more or less fairly when it comes to the 'superstar rules'. I think we're looking at improvement in this area. There is no way the nba can sit down 50 people and say 'ok make sure lebron never gets called for a charge'. The refs have nothing to gain by missing calls or making bad ones on purpose. They'll just be accused of being incompetent.

So I think this benefits the Hawks. We may be the best team in the league without so called 'superstar'. I think even a Hawks-hater would concede that Joe gets way fewer calls than he probably deserves. And our guys tend to play pretty good defense without fouling a lot.

Anyway it should be interesting. There's also the possibility that the replacements just aren't very good at all. An nba game isn't easy to call. Opinions?

So it looks like the refs are locked out and we'll be playing the season with replacements. The question is will the games be called more or less fairly when it comes to the 'superstar rules'. I think we're looking at improvement in this area. There is no way the nba can sit down 50 people and say 'ok make sure lebron never gets called for a charge'. The refs have nothing to gain by missing calls or making bad ones on purpose. They'll just be accused of being incompetent.

So I think this benefits the Hawks. We may be the best team in the league without so called 'superstar'. I think even a Hawks-hater would concede that Joe gets way fewer calls than he probably deserves. And our guys tend to play pretty good defense without fouling a lot.

Anyway it should be interesting. There's also the possibility that the replacements just aren't very good at all. An nba game isn't easy to call. Opinions?

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what to expect. I do think the quality of officiating may take a little hit, but I hadn't considered what might come of the 'superstar' calls. It's an interesting question and I think you've got a very valid point. That aside, I'm really interested to see how these refs (who haven't been around the league for years and been on the court with many of these players before) respond to different player personalities (like Josh's whining versus Joe's almost-too-quiet demeanor).