• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks waive Wilks & Dixon

jerrywest

• Premium Member

I am not quite understanding your point. Which PG/SG/SF do you want us to keep besides Mario? The reason I ask is, I do not see any PG's left? Or are you just saying you wish we would have kept Wilks or Dixon?

You answered your own question - Mario. If we're only keeping one person (and according to Sund, that's all we're doing), it should be him. I only mentioned PG to make the point that we actually have less depth there than we do at PF/C. Just given the number of bodies on our roster at each position, our greatest need for an extra body is at SG/SF, since the only way the 13th man will see any action is in an injury emergency. If any two of JJ/Marvin/Jamal/Mo get injured, we will literally have NO ONE available to come off the bench to play those positions. At least 4 people would have to go down injured at PF/C before the same is true there. Thus, we need a swingman like Mario before we need a combo forward like Othello, and we need a combo forward like Othello before we need a "true big" like Sims or Siler. So assuming we keep only one player, it should be Mario.

Edited by niremetal

You answered your own question - Mario. If we're only keeping one person (and according to Sund, that's all we're doing), it should be him. I only mentioned PG to make the point that we actually have less depth there than we do at PF/C. Just given the number of bodies on our roster at each position, our greatest need for an extra body is at SG/SF, since the only way the 13th man will see any action is in an injury emergency. If any two of JJ/Marvin/Jamal/Mo get injured, we will literally have NO ONE available to come off the bench to play those positions. At least 4 people would have to go down injured at PF/C before the same is true there. Thus, we need a swingman like Mario before we need a combo forward like Othello, and we need a combo forward like Othello before we need a "true big" like Sims or Siler. So assuming we keep only one player, it should be Mario.

Ok a misunderstanding. I thought we were keeping two of the four that's left. Now Mario is apparently gone. All I can say is Teague must be considered a lot better then Law or I am sure Woddy would have kept Mario, Duhon, or Wilks as insurance in case the rookie fell on his butt.

It really does not matter if we have two injuries to our frontline or backcourt. That would be devasting to us or any team. And I still think from a teamstand point our overall backcourt is stronger than our overall frontline from a talent standpoint.

Where ZaZa, Horf, Smoove, Marv, Evans can all put in 30 plus minutes to fill 3 positions; no way Joe Smith could do that at his age. And JJ, Bibby, Crawford, and Teague can do this to fill two positions. As much as I think JJ is a big SG and short SF he is versatile enough to fill in at the 3 anytime he is needed; just as Evans in a pinch can fill in at SG.

Thats pretty good balance. Four quality players who can give major minutes to fill two backcourt positions and Five quality players who can give major minutes to fill 3 frontcourt positions. Then two players who can switch frontcourt to backcourt in a pinch. Like I said, if any two of these players on the frontline or backcourt get hurt, we will be thin no matter who we keep. Maybe you see Joe as a guy who can pull more than 20 minutes if somebody gets hurt. I do not see that at all; and that is probably why Woody wants another big as insurance.

Its obvious none of the last guys standing we are debating about are starter material; and if any of them were needed for 20 plus minutes a game we would be in serious trouble until at least one of our injured players got back in the lineup.

Edited by Buzzard